Subject: Optimal number of players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Groves
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was originally put off this game as the GW version was 4 player but I see the FF version stretches to 5.

Is there a preferable number of players for this game? I have read the discussion for 2 players and just made me think if this game scales well for 3 or 4 players. Has anyone played this with different numbers of players and found a preference?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Played with all numbers so far (most often just two, becasuse it's easier to find a single opponent than many ). It works well in any case (with 4 it is a bit odd because someone is going to play with two Hunters... or the group as a whole must handle the last Hunter, but it still works nicely).
Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a Mina Harker variant for the Original game that worked very well.

I think that was the inspiration behind making the new edition 5 players. It should work. Expect the game to take 30 minutes longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
The game has four hunters and Dracula so it was designed with 5 players in mind. Since 4 hunters are in the game at all times it really doesn't matter if you have 4 people playing the hunters or 1 because the game mechanics stay the same. You simply have a player playing more than one hunter.

I've played the game twice now with 5 and 3 players. I thought 3 worked extremely well and if anything better because the 2 hunter players didn't have as much down time and had more to do each turn. Not many games play well with 3 players so this is a good game to have when you have those 3 player game nights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody
United States
Agoura Hills
Select state
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the comment on the game working well with three. With the whole 5 each hunter player individually has a fair amount of downtime. This gets especially boring for hunters that have to travel by sea or get stuck scouring the chunk of the borad Dracula avoids. More players also has potential to significantly lengthen what is otherwise a pretty streamlined game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed our 3 player game took significantly less time than the 5 player game. I think when we had 5 players the hunters had so little to do most turns that they simply slipped into chit chatting with each other which was slowing the game down. The 3 player game I played went much quicker and I think kept the hunter players much more interested because they had more things to do each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watkins
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
The game can be played with 2 and its still fun but the hunter player can be easily overwhelemed with recordkeeping and such. Hard to keep track of 20+ face down cards - remembering the special abilites and weaknesses of 4 hunters, etc.

Not to mention you see more strategy and unpredictabilty when playing against 4 seperate people. My guess is that it's probably easier for Dracula to win against a single player playing 4 hunters just based on the player making a few slips ups from bewing overwhelmed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree Mike. Two players can be done but it's a lot of work for the hunter player. I've played the hunters in a two player game of the original Fury years ago and there was a lot of stuff to do there. I wouldn't want to do it with four hunters for me to take care of. Two hunter players however I think has a good balance. It's enough work to keep the hunter player in the game all the time without having him drowning in trying to keep track of all the stuff he needs to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Groves
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info. I'll infer that:
- 5 players is the number aimed at;
- 3 players works well in giving hunters more to do without overwhelming them;
- 2 players is only for uberHunter guy;
- 4 is unbalanced for gameplayers and therefore doesn't really work.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Finazzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4 is workable if you make one of the hunters group controlled. Gives the other two hunters soemthing to discuss while the third is playing out their moves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody
United States
Agoura Hills
Select state
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say that four doesn't work. I played a game like that last night, we just had one guy play two characters.

IMO the game is best with 3 players since it keeps everyone involved equally, but it scales easily up to 5 with no impact on the actual strategy/balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Think four would be optimal. One Hunter each -and share one common. If "your" Hunter get stuck in Nowhere with a lot of sea travel to get back in game or defeated - you can control the common Hunter for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
We play 2 players all the time and it works just fine. As a matter of fact this has become on of my current favorites. The hunter player just has to remember to check all those face-down cards each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've only played one time--with four--and it worked great. In fact, the player controlling two hunters merged them into a hunting group early in the game and left them that way for a pretty good period of time. An interesting option, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isley
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Going to try 2 player tomorrow, I plan on using battlelore card holders for the hunter player...looking forward to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With 2 players, as the hunter, think about your moves and try and play them fast - the Dracula player cannot evesdrop on your inner dialog, so there is less for him to do.

With 4-5 players, you should know at all times what cards you have, and when are the times to condsider playing them. The game will slow due to your discussions with other players, so when it comes to actually playing your turn, you need to be on the ball.

When you are playing with those things in mind, I find the game flows really well - a slow game can crawl too much in the lulls otherwise, and I'm a guy who'd rather play 2 exciting games than 1 slow, overly-analysed game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.