Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Mcpherson
United States
Sand Springs
Ok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have tried 2 of the preset decks from the core against the first quest in solo play and I keep getting further and further behind. Finally I lose, either all heros dead or threat 50.

Is it that the decks aren't meant for solo play? Or should I be winning and am doing something wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Wilson
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which of the premade decks are you using? The answer may explain the issues you are having.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Anderson
United States
New Brighton
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's possible that you're doing something wrong.

How many cards are you revealing from the encounter deck during the quest phase?

Maybe you can write up what you are doing each turn for the first few turns so we can get an idea of what's happening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Zembrzuski
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The big mistake I made my first few games was still adding the threat in from enemies and locations no longer in the staging area and wondering why the game seemed completely impossible!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Mcpherson
United States
Sand Springs
Ok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The sword and the Snow flake looking ones.

Only adding 1 card from the encounter deck each quest phase...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Wilson
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tactics (The Sword) is seen as the weakest solo deck and is almost not worth trying until you have won with the other decks. Spirit (the star) struggles with combatting the enemies if too many enter play. I would suggest using Leadership (this is the purple deck) and see how you get on then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Sword and the Snowflake sounds like a Young Adult fantasy novel.

Yeah the starter decks aren't really designed for solo play, they usually lack in specific areas due to the nature of the spheres, Tactics has no willpower, and Spirit can lack attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Sharpe
United Kingdom
Luton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may also want to try the following:

1: Play two-handed (be two players, with different decks and two sets of heroes), which increases the number of cards you pull from the encounter deck, but gives you more flexibility in the situations you can cope with

2: Use two-sphere decks (have two heroes from one sphere, and one from a second, combine all the cards from the two together and then remove ten-or-so that you think look weak from the sphere that only has one hero).

Experienced players will tell you they can win all the scenarios with almost any combination of decks, but as a broad guide for a new player:
- The first scenario is very winnable with one solo deck (except perhaps Tactics)
- The second scenario is tough unless you use multi-sphere decks (introducing you to deckbuilding)
- The last scenario is pretty much impossible solo - you'll either need to play two-handed (in which case it's just really really hard) or get more cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wojtek Wojcik
Poland
Kraków(Cracow)
Malopolska
flag msg tools
designer
I very much like designing games but I think I prefer to play them.
badge
Metallum ... game I most proud of.
mbmbmbmbmb
You may find my guide for new solo players helpful: A guide for new LOTR:LCG solo players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B B

Unspecified
msg tools
I just recently purchased this game and have played seven solo games. My goal is to win one game of traveling through Mirkwood using each of the four spheres of influence.

I have yet to try the Tactics sphere.

The Leadership sphere took me four attempts before finally winning a game.

I am currently using the Spirit sphere and have lost two games so far.

In between these two spheres was a single game using a rather special gem called Lore (the green book). It's my only game so far with this sphere. I kid you not, I practically TORE, SLASHED, and BRUTALIZED my foes into HAMBURGER!

Yeah, I'm sure I had some rather unique draw of the cards occurring. I'm too inexperienced to know at this point. I believe I played the Ensnared card (whatever it's called) incorrectly as well. Still, the ability to heal your allies so frequently was such a boost. So I recommend you try Lore next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Chronus wrote:
I just recently purchased this game and have played seven solo games. My goal is to win one game of traveling through Mirkwood using each of the four spheres of influence.

I have yet to try the Tactics sphere.

Good luck with that. I played something like 10 attempts with the Tactics deck and only made it to the second step of the quest like 2 or 3 times. I don't think I ever even made it to the final step with the Tactics deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.