Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Enjoyed my first game of this tonight... Nice light hearted fun, a pleasant laugh filled relief after the brain burn of netrunner.

But my group was a little thrown out by some of the wording. We scratched our heads over the potion of haste, for example, which was far from obvious at first read...

Most striking, we were initially flummoxed by the rules about adding up damage against monsters.

First they ask you to check if a creature has been killed after each attack card... but then they say that damage is only tallied at the end of the round. This comes across as rather confusing. How can a monster be killed if damage is only done after the player turns are over?

I think we eventually got a sense of why it was written this way, and I assume we played as intended. But it certainly seemed a bamboozling way of wording a fundamental element of a game that is - at heart - quite simple. I look forward to playing CC again, but I wish the wording were a little less ambiguous for new players!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Covert
United States
Sandy Hook
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
from the creator:

Hi Mark

Sorry those things threw you for a loop. I'll see if I can add further clarity.

Potion of Haste: By using the potion, the first two rounds of that encounter allow the user to 'set' two attacks for their turn, instead of one. Then the potion wears off and you set attacks and combat normally.
Did that clear it up? If not, what was your specific question regarding how it works?

Damaging a monster, checking for death and the damage stack.

I understand how your group may have been tripped up by this, but in the end it is very simple.

After every attack, players should check to see if the damage is lethal. If it is, the encounter is immediately over and that player scores the kill.

The confusion comes in our direction to not move the damage bead on the tracker until the end of the round. This rule exists solely to avoid bookkeeping issues. Some of the creatures, SPITE and others, change the damage on the stack if they are not killed by round's end. So we advise always knowing the creatures current life total at the end of a player's attack - but to not physically move the bead until the end because, in the case of Spite for example, you may have to readjust the total higher again depending on what she removes. She is not the only creature to adjust damage on the stack. Clockwork Golem and others do similar things. While most creatures can easily afford to move the bead as the damage is done, the exceptions posed enough of a bookkeeping headache that we generalized the timing of moving the bead to the end of the round across the board.

Did that help?
C
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. And yes, we worked it out, as well as the reason, but were scratching our heads a bit at first.

Re the potion of haste, we found the correct interpretation on bgg, and it makes absolute sense once explained... But was a little ambiguous without that. A comma might have cleared it up.

At heart this is not a complex ruleset, and all works well and is smooth sailing once the basic idea is there. But re the scoring, mabe a lne of explanation re this confusion would help in any future editions ( which I hope here is demand for). It's not that it's counterintuitive or complicated... It was just the wording is not immediately obvious.

Anyway, this is all many years after release, so it's testament to the cool game you made there are still newcomers asking questions in 2013.

Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.