Subject: 2D6 movement variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guillaume Pages
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted this on the FFG forums but I know BBG forums get more reads.

After several games, I have come to the conclusion that changing the movement to "roll 2D6 and choose 1d6 as your movement" make for a very streamlined game.

This lowers game time dramatically. Games with 2 players take up to 2hrs from start to finish with scenario endings. By 1hr of gameplay, players have at least 1 relic if not 2 and are moving in the middle tier.

It means you have less of that unpredictability that a single D6 would give, but all in all, the players preferred this option.

What happens on a double? Nothing. You rolled two 4s, you move 4. That way the movement rule is easy to remember for everyone.

With 3 players, this change makes a big difference to the game. No more players b$$ching about not being able to land on a space to finish a mission for many turns whilst the other players are earning their relics. Herego, players are happier, the mood around the table is better, everyone has fun and getting beaten up by a level 12 daemon doesn't matter so much anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only problem with this variant is that it no longer lets us laugh and taunt the person who sucks at rolling.

Otherwise, makes perfect sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jimmy t
msg tools
How about if you could chose the dice number you have rolled or its opposite side ie you roll a one so you could choose to move one or 6, roll a three you can move 3 or 4, roll a 2 you can move 2 or 5. this means you are rolling fewer dice and also that you can always move at least 4 spaces if you need to motor it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B. Hansen
Denmark
Odense N
flag msg tools
badge
"duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck" Ralph Wiggum .....
mbmbmbmbmb
Axelfudge wrote:
The only problem with this variant is that it no longer lets us laugh and taunt the person who sucks at rolling.

Otherwise, makes perfect sense.

Hey!, Some of us roll so badly that hilarity is assured no matter the number of dice..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peder Bergenwall
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
I'm probably playing the game for the first time tomorrow, and the issue of the spotty dice movement have been a concern of mine. This variant, or more likely the one suggested by hummus (using only one die), is perhaps an answer to my concerns. Is it blasphemy to play a first game with variant rules for movement in a game like Relic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Variant I use in Talisman is you choose whether to roll one or two dice. If you choose two then you must declare in advance whether you will take the lower or higher roll. That prevents extra dithering over which of four spaces to move to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Åbrandt
Sweden
flag msg tools
achates wrote:
Variant I use in Talisman is you choose whether to roll one or two dice. If you choose two then you must declare in advance whether you will take the lower or higher roll. That prevents extra dithering over which of four spaces to move to.

Very interesting. Might try this sometime

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.