Subject: Marines rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Biesik
United States
Williamsville
New York
flag msg tools
Hey all! i recently got a marine character and im wondering how he works! i have the rules but it fails to mention the power of his cannon. also judging from his rules, he doesnt seem worth the 7 points! it seems overpriced! is there a VERY good way of using him? also how do you recommend using him? hes my favorite character i have and i want to use him badly, any help with the rules clarification and strategy will be much appreciated! thanks!

P.S- Its the british marine if your wondering, i cant recall his exact name at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Heinzmann
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you post the card text up, I would think Marines would be good at boarding or repelling boarders

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Biesik
United States
Williamsville
New York
flag msg tools
alright then.....ill have a go....

Lt. Nigel Hardwicke

7 POINTS

Marine This Crew gets +1 to its gun rolls against American ships, forts, and crew.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
the power of the cannon goes off of the ship you put him on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Biesik
United States
Williamsville
New York
flag msg tools
But what if you have multiple different cannons with different ranges and strengths?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
They each get +1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Biesik
United States
Williamsville
New York
flag msg tools
Geosphere wrote:
They each get +1

No,no,no i get the cards individual text, what i dont get is the keyword Marine. Thats the only part i dont get. any help with that? also any strategy tips for those who have used him before?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hackel
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Marine Keyword text, taken directly from the Barbary Coast set rules:

"A crew with this keyword may be dropped off on any island (except on an opponent's home island). Whether on a ship or an island, it may be given its own shoot action each turn, just like a ship; it has a [2S]-rank gun. Opposing players may target this crew with shoot actions only if it is on an island, but it must be hit twice in the same turn in order to be eliminated - a single hit has no effect. Unlike other abilities, the Marine ability does stack. For example, if two crew with Marine are assigned to the same ship, they may both use it on the same turn."

I hope that helps you.

I personally find this to be the single worst feature of Pirates, and I resent WizKids' decision to print this ability. By giving a crew token a position-based ability, and exempting it from the no-stack rule, they opened up a massive can of worms.

Firstly, how the heck does this token shoot and be shot at? Where is a Marine's mast? Some sources say that the entire crew token is the mast, others say the island it is on counts instead. If the island interpretation is chosen, then two hits to the island card will kill the marine. If so, it is very easy for a three-masted ship to eliminate a marine, and most forts will have no difficulty at all. Because of this, the Marine's intended anti-fort ability is too weak. If you agree with the 'crew token as mast' interpretation, then it gets even weirder. Can the token move around, and how? Does the island block line of fire to/from the Marine? Do other crew tokens and treasure tokens block it's line of fire? What if the Marine is covered up by an Oarsman token? In any case, a Marine is far from worth the 7-point cost. For that much money, I'd rather have another ship, or two Musketeers.

My bottom line is that it is not at all worth the point cost, fails at encouraging the intended tactical decisions, and it creates a nasty mess within the Pirates rules. Only a group of marines would have much of an impact, but given the high point cost and the fact that Marines are unique crew, this is not feasible. I have no interest in using Marines.

My group has had some loud and angry arguements over Marines, and we've settled it by coming up with our own house rule, which you are welcome to adopt:

MARINE: Instead of the normal text, the Marine Keyword is "This crew has the Musketeer ability. This ship gets +1 to boarding rolls. This ship gets +1 to cannon rolls against forts. This ability does not stack."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Biesik
United States
Williamsville
New York
flag msg tools
Wow! thanks for the response! you helped me boat-loads! Man, this is dissapointing, i was hoping my marine would be a force to be reckoned with, not a single cannon....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Swedlund
United States
Lakeville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7 points is definitely a lot to pay for a marine. For an incrementally lower cost, look for the 6-point marines (like Benoit de Marsilles, PoBC-083), who are essentially the same but without the +1 versus a certain nation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Farrow
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the advantage of Marines is that they can shoot from a derelict ship. And they can shoot even if the ship has no captain. Musketeers can't do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.