Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the president of a gaming club at San Francisco State University, and right now I'm getting ready to order some games for the club. We have a few players who are into Munchkin, Fluxx...pretty much anything with kind of a funny theme. Nothing wrong with that. I'm looking for a game that they'll like, but that also is a good game, strategically interesting, etc.
The suggestions I've got so far are Army of Darkness Card Game, Grass, Killer Bunnies, and SPANC, all of which hover around a '5' rating here on BGG. Also on the suggestions are Landlord, Illuminati Deluxe, and Chrononauts.

Any recommendations on a game that will keep our Munchkins happy, without broken rules to drive me crazy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Castellucci
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Check out BANG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anoni mouse
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well I would recommend Chez geek - just more of the Steve Jackson style humor or guillotine. Or you could try to see if you can get the to try something a heavier like citadels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Johnson
United States
Boonville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in much the same situation a year or so back with my group of friends. Out of the games you listed, I'd say that Killer Bunnies might go over well, but I would steer clear of Illuminati and Chrononauts. To me, Illuminati is just broken and rarely fun, and games with more than 3 players tend to drag on much, much longer than they should. Chrononauts seems way too random to me, but its pretty cheap so you wouldn't lose too much by trying it.
I found that my gaming group made the transition from the SJ style games to light/mid weight euro games VERY easily. I'd suggest some games with varying themes/mechanics, such as High Society, Citadels, Finstere Flure, and Betrayal at House on the Hill. If your group is set on the RPG/Dungeon theme, you could try Dungeon Twister (2 Player, but with a 3/4 player expansion coming soon) or Runebound (a bit heavier), maybe even something like Descent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Bohnanza. The negotiating aspect of it is a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Reist
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
The whole line of B-Movie Card Games like "Graverobbers From Outer Space" games are pretty darn funny. Not deep in the way of strategy, but a huge hit among all of my friends for the humour value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Deniz Bucak
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
As Above, So Below
badge
My books are forgeries. Nobody wrote them. - Philip K. Dick
mbmbmbmbmb
My munchkins like Chez Geek or Ninja Burger. Cults Across America is also popular, though longish. The Awful Green Things from Outer Space is a classic. I would also recommend Cheapass Games' Big Idea (though you should also get the expansion at the same time) or James Ernest's Totally Renamed Spy Game or Give Me the Brain.

All of these games get spanked on the ratings though, because American-style games, humorous games and cheap games are all unpopular around here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Die Macher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pretty sure it’s the flu
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
StupidDuel has very few rules so it's hard to break them (on the other hand, it's not much on strategy - it is fun though). Another card game that's fun and thematic (depending on the group) is Kung Fu Fighting. En Garde (also by slugfest) is a lot of fun too and might be just a little more strategic. i'd also second the B-Movie games as being pretty fun, although they aren't very strategic most of the time either.

I would avoid the Army of Darkness card game though - I believe it is broken and the reviews here definitely suggest I'm not alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would second Betrayal at the House on the Hill and Bang. Light Speed is a great Cheap Ass Game. I guess these are roleplayers so they will like anything with a lot of fantasy/horror/sci-fi chrome. How about Arkham Horror, Runebound or Mall of Horror. Lord of the Rings: the Confrotation and Fairy Tale may be worth trying though they head to a kind of abstract style.

It can be kind of hard to get them to see past the chrome. Just because a munchkin card has a name and a picture still doesn't get past the fact that all it is is a +2 card. Killer Bunnies is very Munchkin like. Random take-that based gameplay. Bohnanza and Zendo have gone down surprisingly well with these groups. Citadels is a bit border line I would say. I wouldn't bring it straight out.

I also am looking forward to the new Friedmann Friese game Funny Friends I think this may be a great game for these groups. The artwork is fantastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group likes Munchkin, though I don't. They also like Citadels and Settlers. More complicated than that and it gets dubious...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timb
United States
Anniston
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Betrayal and Bang. I wouldn't call Betrayal humorous, but the fun factor is definitely high.

Most of these suggestions are of the party game type, but you might want to check Tom and Joe's Top Ten Funniest Boardgames from The Dice Tower episode #16. http://www.thedicetower.com/dicetower/topten16.htm

I got Chrononauts because I thought the theme sounded great, but found the game play very boring. I wouldn't recommend it unless your group is really going to get into the role-playing aspect of pretending to be a time traveling alien.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.