BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Board games with AI Systems. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tysoch Tysoch
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi all,

I am looking for board games that use an AI System to allow the "computer opponent" to move and act on 2D space. If im not mistaken Zombicide and Fearsome Floors use such an AI system.

If you guys could point me in the direction of others so I could study them a bit that would be awesome!!!!

Thanks everyone!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
josh willhite
United States
La Junta
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
These are recent Kickstarters, and wont be available for a while, but to my knowledge they'll be available at normal retail once all the pledges are taken care of...

Galaxy Defenders: 80's/90's sci-fi combat, Areas games put a huge amount of gameplay videos and reviews out for it. Due out sometime around September, I can't wait! Looks like a perfect mix of corny and cool. Supports 1-4 players IIRC.

Myth: fantasy dungeon crawl, made by the guys that made the MERCS tabletop wargame, lots of tutorials like GD, but I think this one is going to be really complex. supports 1-4 players IIRC.

Deadzone, by Mantic, more a skirmish wargame, but it has an AI option. This one is going to take a while to get finished, but its gameplay seems pretty fast once you get used to it. Supports 1-2 (maybe more players) IIRC.

Other than that...
if you like those hardcore hex and counter wargames look into the leader series games by DVG (hornet leader, thunderbolt apache leader, etc). I've heard these are the best. I just got my hands on an older copy of thunderbolt apache leader and its... a bit complicated, I'm going to have to read the rulebook a few more times. It does look like fun. Although its a solitaire game, but there are options for 2 players.

Death Angel by Fantasy Flight Games, its a card game, but I really like it and you can pick it up fairly cheap. Its a cooperative game; you all have to work together to win. supports 1-6 players. Way better option than trying to get your hands on a copy of the real Space Hulk.

There are piles more out there, but I'm drawing a blank. How many players are you wanting for these games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at Merchants & Marauders
The way the NPC ships move around is very simple and works very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Silver
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gears of War, the board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vines
United States
Blue Springs
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Twister 2: Prison Really good AI type implementation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RanDomino Nickelmaster
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Plungin'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Kenneth Deal WW 2 Belgium 1944/45
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight Board Game

Arkham Horror

Dawn of the Zeds (Second edition)

Most of the games from Two Hour Wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeons and Dragons Adventure System Board Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rozar5 wrote:

I agree with DotZ but disagree with Mage Knight. The AI doesn't actually do anything (the dummy player is the most active AI in the game).

I think one of the best solitaire games I've ever played is Field Commander: Napoleon because the AI army is almost symmetrical with your own, unlike every solitaire game ever where there's usually two asymmetrical sides and one side either does not move or moves in a completely different manner than you do.

Having said that, the Leader games are great, as is D-Day at Omaha Beach where you have a card draw and different symbols mean different things depending on where in the game you are and what the field is like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Shalev
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie State: Diplomacy of the Dead
Space Cadets
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Design your own system instead of aping or copying someone else system you may end up having to shoehorn into your game to fit.

Think about what you need the AI opponents to do and how basic or complex you want it.

Then think of how you want to implement this.

Basic if/then chart? I love these.
Basic if/then chart augmented by dice or cards. Love these too.

Cards to simulate tactical choices.

Dice rolls to determine direction or attack nature.

Fixed patterns and tactics inherint to the opponent.

And many others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the AI design in the Race for the Galaxy expansion(s). It plays a different game than a human plays, but really adapts well to the player's start world and choices. I'd love to see a combat AI adapt to similar things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.