Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
In Stereo
badge
I pwnz j00!
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I pre-ordered it.

I wasn't going to buy it. I had myself all talked out of it. I don't have the space for it. I don't have the time for it. It's been called a 'lifestyle' game, so no way I can do that. I already have The War: Europe 1939-1945 which hasn't hit the table. I already have Proud Monster Deluxe which hasn't hit the table.

Then I directly proceeded to pre-ordering it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
mbmbmbmbmb
rexbinary wrote:

Good boy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and:

"I already got one!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rexbinary
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
In Stereo
badge
I pwnz j00!
mbmbmbmbmb

He said they already got one!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Python is strong in this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Just picked up my copy - friend got my PO from WBC.

The heft of this thing is a weapon itself!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I gotta know ... did they do a book binding job on the rules like the first ed, or is it 3-ring sheets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hovan
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

cry Had to cancel my pre-order when the wife looked at the finances. And I nearly made it to the point of no return!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

I think you did the right thing Rex. It's this instinct that keeps companies like GMT in business. I am just watching the last minute scramble for people to get shot of it at a premium price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
lgoldberg wrote:
I gotta know ... did they do a book binding job on the rules like the first ed, or is it 3-ring sheets?

Bound Book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilhammer wrote:
lgoldberg wrote:

Bound Book.

Sigh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
BTW, it had something in the box I did not expect - including the usual zip bags, it has one GMT counter tray in it.

Been a long time since I had a new game come with a counter tray.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure it won't even hold the markers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Yep.

I just went to Wally World and picked up some scoop type bead boxes for it.

These:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Darice-32-Compartment-No-Spill-Org...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul canosa
Japan
shizuoka
Shizuoka
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah I pre ordered this puppy and was just dunned so it must be on the slow boat to Japan. Can't wait for it to arrive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
"Yeah I killed women and children, killed everything that walks or crawls at one time or another and I'm here to kill you Little Bill"
badge
"It's a Sicilian message. It means Luci Brasi sleeps with the fishes."
mbmbmbmbmb
rexbinary wrote:
OK, I pre-ordered it.

I wasn't going to buy it. I had myself all talked out of it. I don't have the space for it. I don't have the time for it. It's been called a 'lifestyle' game, so no way I can do that. I already have The War: Europe 1939-1945 which hasn't hit the table. I already have Proud Monster Deluxe which hasn't hit the table.

You're a brave man.

I have to admit that I find 196 pages of rules daunting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely psyched to get this one (again, but I also get the updated rulebook & counters) at the end of August although thinking about counter storage is a little daunting.

Will those nice plastic storage trays pictured above fit in the game box? I might just go with numerous mini plano storage boxes as I have done for some of my other games. Then there is the issue of the maps, normally I put them in those encapsulated poster frame kits you can get, but since these are two map sheets per theatre I'm not sure anyone makes anything that will fit them. May just have to get the hardware store cut thin plywood & plexy to fit and get enough plastic clips to go all the way around. Wont be spray-mounting the boards on drywall sheets the way I did with my copy of A3R & ERS (although those are pretty nice looking and really stable although a big pain to store).

As I say, this will be a second copy (oh the insanity) but I intend to use it as the excuse to finally get serious about learning and playing the thing although I spent many happy hours with A3R/ERS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rexbinary
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
In Stereo
badge
I pwnz j00!
mbmbmbmbmb
bjhenderson wrote:
rexbinary wrote:
OK, I pre-ordered it.

You're a brave man.

I have to admit that I find 196 pages of rules daunting.

It will look nice laying next to the 117 page rulebook from The War: Europe 1939-1945. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Blank
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just preordered as well. Started on the rules which are very digestable so far, moreso I think than World in Flames. Don't know when I will play it, but the savings on the preorder!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
"Yeah I killed women and children, killed everything that walks or crawls at one time or another and I'm here to kill you Little Bill"
badge
"It's a Sicilian message. It means Luci Brasi sleeps with the fishes."
mbmbmbmbmb
nickgb wrote:
I just preordered as well. Started on the rules which are very digestable so far, moreso I think than World in Flames. Don't know when I will play it, but the savings on the preorder!

This question is for those of you who have played a lot of these monster grand strategy games [A World at War, World in Flames,The War: Europe 1939-1945]:

When first learning this type of game, are you able to keep most of the rules front of mind or are you constantly referring to the rules?

There are some games with less than 20 pages of rules where I feel I am always referencing the rules (Wilderness War comes to mind).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always do up a sequence of play ruleset for the games I intend to play a lot. Don't like to have to go back in and re-read an entire rulebook before playing. I get a pdf of the rulebook, drop all the case numbers and reorganize all the rules is strict sequence of play order even repeating sections occasionally, that way I can just go back into a game I haven't played for a while and just set it up and start right in playing by reading the rules in a cook-book fashion. I have done these for a number of games including Wilderness War, For the People, EotS and even A3R/ERS. Not sure that will be possible for aWaW and part of the reason I have held off trying it until this new edition, but I'll look at it. If not that I'll just make an even more expanded version of the detailed Sequence of Play reference that comes with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Blank
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played several games with large rulesets. In the grand strategy area I have played lots of Federation & Empire, and a little of World in Flames. For tactical, I have played lots of Star Fleet Battles, and have recently been learning Advanced Squad Leader.

I do refer to the rules a lot while playing, certainly on the first few games, but the key is to just play. The more you play the more you internalize rules. I can remember the basics from just reading, but in order to really get a grasp of the details and be able to play, I need the experience of playing. I can play SFB and Fed & Empire without referencing the rules much at all. I am getting better at ASL, but still double check things a lot. World in Flames I have only played a copule of turns worth, so there is no way I could do without the rulebook yet.

All of these games have rulesets that are good for reference, but take more effort to learn from. Still, the best way (at least for me) is just to sit down (solo) and play. I may be very slow at first, but I need the experience of moving counters, counting and calculating outcomes in order to internalize the rules.

That said, there is always a need to reference the rules for the extreme cases. These detailed rulesets always have a set of core rules that can be easily remembered as they get used every game turn. Then there are the chromy details that only come up on a particular turn, or even only once every third or fourth game, or more infrequently. These cases will never be memorized, (perhaps not even by the designer), and even the pros will reference the rulebook when they come up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subatomic Birdicle
United States
flag msg tools
*chirp*
badge
*squawk*
mbmbmbmbmb
I am curious as to why there are so many counters. It's a corp level game, there just weren't that many corps in the war.

In A3R and ERS most of the counters ended up being "change" for air and naval factors. But the counter count in this beast has me wondering: what are all the counters for? Has anyone ever done a counter count by type (ground unit, air counter, naval counter, etc.).

With not-that-many hexes, corps level, stacking of two units per hex etc. I am mystified as to what all the counters are used for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Blank
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The countersheets are all scanned in to the World at War image database on the geek, so you can go look. There are also lots of air units, naval units, control markers, rocket bases, air bases, and lots of other stuff. Also, I suspect there are more than the historical number of corps as a given nation may build more that historically were built as a result of different production choices. Just because there are that many counters, doesn't mean you will use them all at once in a given game, but on some plays you may need more given different circumstances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.