Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Buterbaugh
United States
Hummelstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just wondering if there were any good games covering the Italian Wars of the Renaissance Era?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Machiavelli (though no wargame) is good fun.

I've got a couple tactical ones that I haven't tried yet, but have hopes for:

Condottieri: The Battle of Castagnaro and Guelphs and Ghibellines
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Obsolete Man
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw that Decision put out a folio game on Pavia but I have no idea if it's good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joël Simard
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All is lost save Honour is probably one of the best, it covers the era between the battle of Agnadello (1509) and Pavia (1525)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fornovo 1495 looks interesting and hopefully it will be released sooner rather than later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
Gavroche wrote:
All is lost save Honour is probably one of the best, it covers the era between the battle of Agnadello (1509) and Pavia (1525)...

This is quite a detailed treatment of the period, at an operational scale. An excellent design, lovely map and counters, but for hard-core fans of the period only. If you have a strong interest in the subject, this is the one I'd recommend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Stubbs
United States
Gaithersburg
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zuludawn wrote:
Gavroche wrote:

This is quite a detailed treatment of the period, at an operational scale. An excellent design, lovely map and counters, but for hard-core fans of the period only. If you have a strong interest in the subject, this is the one I'd recommend.

I got the 2012 reprint of this and I'm really looking forward to playing it; I'm not a hard-core fan of the period (in fact I don't know that much about it), but I do love history and wargames, and I'd heard a lot of positive input about the game. Sometimes games get me into the history, which is always fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yodlaf Peterson
United States
Ohio and West Texas
Пиндостан
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All is lost to me: Pavia 1525 and Marignan 1515 treat individual battles of the Italian Wars, but I have not seen or played either. I just know that they exist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yodlaf Peterson
United States
Ohio and West Texas
Пиндостан
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guelphs and Ghibellines covers battles from a much earlier period, not the Italian Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yodlaf Peterson
United States
Ohio and West Texas
Пиндостан
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two decades ago 3W published a pair of quad games by Rob Markham which covered battles of the Italian Wars. Crossbows and Cannon features Pavia, Garigliano, Ravenna and La Bicocca. Crossbows and Cannon II includes Fornovo, Cerignola and Novara.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To my mind, the Quattrocento (15th century) would make for a terrific multiplayer CDG reminiscent of HERE I STAND or SWORD OF ROME.

Until 1494 the Italian states system featured a working balance of power of five Italian principalities/republics (Venice, Milan, Floren, the Papal States, Naples).

You'd have warfare, diplomacy, cultural patronage as main features.

A good start date might be 1420, when the Pope returned to Rome. At that point, the Italian South is as yet divided between Angevin Naples and Aragonese Sicily, drawing in other Italian powers into this struggle for regnal succession. Perhaps the Aragonese would be a player power, while the Angevins would be controlled by whichever other Italian power chooses to champion their cause.

For a more narrow timeframe, 1420 to 1454 (Peace of Lodi) would work well since this was also geopolitically an eventful period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Buterbaugh
United States
Hummelstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gavroche wrote:

That looks interesting! I love the map, and I'd probably buy the game just for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Umberto Colapicchioni
Switzerland
Genestrerio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Braccio da Montone, published by a friend...Covers an earlier part of the Reinassance, though, and use the Guelphs and Ghibellines system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael connor
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlesf wrote:
To my mind, the Quattrocento (15th century) would make for a terrific multiplayer CDG reminiscent of HERE I STAND or SWORD OF ROME.

Richard Berg stated on ConsimWorld he was working on a 15thC game on the Italian Renaissance. Seems quite a few period personalities will be making an appearance, including artists!

We'll wait and see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.