Popular Tags: [View All]
Dylan Green
United States
Seattle
Seattle
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
A common theme that occurs in the PC game world is the full mod, where fans (or periodically, companies) will take the engine from an existing game and convert it to fit a new theme…

So I’ve played Doom twice now, and I’m a big fan. But as a fiddler and an amateur game designer (I don’t think I’m alone {for once} on these points here) I can’t help but look at the game and…fiddle. Abstractly Doom is just a set of miniatures rules for gun based combat. My SWAT obsessed roommate, wants to use the game to run swat missions, I plan on “borrowing” the rules set to use for my next RP session in which I’ll be running a Survival Horror game. It gives its player all of the same resources to manage as a FPS (first person shooter): cover, ammo, range, line of sight, etc. And, in turn, gives them all the same goals (get from point A to point B, blow shit up en route). Therefore, from a design perspective it’s a success. Players face the same situations, and are given the same tools as they are in the source material, and so they will think and feel like they do while playing the Doom PC game.
Now of course there are other resources to manage in this version, most importantly more than one player. The game, in my experience, is about small unit tactics. How do we hold this area? How do we advance safely? How do we cover our ass?
So why all this rambling, and what the hell does this have to do with Metroid? Well, put simply, I don’t like Doom. Never appealed to me. Never cared. In fact, I don’t like the entire FPS genre. So I’m thinking of creating a “full Mod” for the Doom board game. Using its engine I would like to create an alternate rule set that would be, of course, Metroid!
The main thought behind this was the fact that I find the players decisions to be too much focused around what gun to carry, or who takes point, range, and rear guard. After that, the game degrades into a dice-fest with no further problem solving. Both games we’ve played the players lost (I played the invader) but there was nothing they could have done about this (I understand that this is a balance problem but I would like to move beyond that concept) there were no better choices they could have made. They just got screwed. The thing I’ve always loved about Metroid is that the guns have lots of varied aspects to them (I am speaking specifically about the Prime series. The older games I never beat, though I’m a fan). The power beam can be a rapid fire machine gun, or a slow shot grenade launcher, you just have to charge up the shot. It also opens doors. The wave beam stuns enemies that are electrically based, and also powers up broken electrical equipment. The light and dark beams are more powerful when used against enemies of the opposite polarity, but they also activate portals between the light and dark worlds. This is in addition to their characteristics as weapons; the dark beam freezes foes while the light beam has a shotgun like charged shot. So I wanted to add something that worked like the power beam, with its ability to charge up a shot. I was rolling this idea around in my head, thinking that a player could sacrifice an action (either movement or fire) to place a charge token on their gun. For every action sacrificed (maxing at 3) the weapon would be considered to have +1 deadly. When fired remove all charge tokens. With this thought of the different visors (giving each player a visor, making one the recon guy {scan visor so that players can learn about enemies and the environment}, one the rear guard {x-ray to see bad guys coming from behind} and the like) and of course the morph ball, all came to mind.
Now on the converse side, Metroid is all about isolation and exploration. Metroid is, at it’s bare essence, about keys and doors. How do I open a red door? Missile. Yellow? Super Bomb. But even in a wider sense that physical doors. How do I get up there? You need the space jump. How do I defeat that enemy? You need the X-ray scope. In abstract, how do I get from A to B? You need X item to do so. This aspect could be implemented very simply. Doom does this exact same thing, less artfully. Give players a limited inventory and hide tools around custom maps. But adding multiple players might be untrue to the feel of Metroid. Of course it worked for Zelda Four Swords, so that’s what I am purposing.
All this is just rambling at this point but I’m curious to see if there are any people out there who might be Metroid lovers and want to try and work on this. So if your intrigued by the concept of more varied and intricate decisions added to your favorite game, or if you just love Metroid please post. Looking forward to reading your thoughts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dexblair .
Malaysia
Desa Petaling
W.P.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hi,
your idea is great, can put all into a proper documentation.
i personally would like to see something like SWAT, modern but not future(not too far from present).

continue to develop your mod,
see u in the future.

thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M T
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This may be dead after 8 and a half years but I was thinking about doing something similar myself. I was thinking about what could modified to feel like metroid and thought of the pathfinder adventure card game. It focuses heavily on exploration and getting through traps and upgrading your character. Doom is a game I have never played though so I couldn't say much about that but I would be willing to throw ideas around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.