Andreas Hohmann
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
Super Mario Kart Fan
badge
www.BoardgameMonkeys.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Played our first game of PvD. Great components and a lot of fun. But we had 3 main issues and even had some variant ideas. Or are we just playing it wrong?

For my cup of tea there are far to few ghost and dino tokens in the bag. Also the fact that the volcano tokens are placed on the board when drawn and therefore getting fewer, leads to the fact that, I guess, the game would end in the island sinking far too few. By mistake we played it that we put those tokens back into the bag and with 3 went back to the ships and one pressing his luck and sinking had a tense experience.
With getting them out of the bag the game looses tense because once a player with a cannon and lots of crew arrives at the digging site, weaker players should go back to their ship as fast as possible. Thought?

First players have an imbalanced bonus in turn 1. they can play encounters on anyone and dont have to resolve one at their own. I would suggest playing the 5 phases one after another going clockwise.
Because it solves the problem explained above and also speeds up the game, because everyone draws 2 cards and may look at them the same time planning their move etc.

The fact that at the digging site swords and skulls count as succes for battles make swords and muskets much better and the cannon very powerful. You have a lot of dice and you can just blow the crew of others away forcing them to leave tresure behind because they cant carry it back to the ship.

as a war-orientied player its way too hard to battle during exploration. Noone will likely share a zone with you, if he has another chance. To harass you have to cut short (loose a turn) and follow other players. Cutting short is already bad because you loose crew to lost and mutinied. maybe cut short and do your explore (battle / envoy action at the new zone (not loosing a turn) - but maybe thats too powerful? Thoughts?

Anyway great game and its def. too early to play with variants after 1 game but I would like you to share your thoughts on my points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent commentary, I think! Here are my thoughts on your thoughts, having also played just 1 game (so we are both experts!):

1. In our 3 player game, the main limiting factor was how few crew people had left by the time they got to the dig site. So, you could press your luck, and occasionally envoy, but no one could carry much with them so there was no point in staying all that long at the site. I think that the volcano and curse card are so increasingly harsh, that having just a few of them is good, so I think the frequency is fine.

I would like to see some way to start grabbing from the treasure bag earlier in the game, because it's a fun mechanic. Also, then other pirates would have treasure that you could steal when you fight!

2.I agree about the imbalance, we noticed that too. VERY interesting idea to have everyone do each turn phase, 1 at a time, rather than everyone doing all of it themselves. Thus, each player would draw 2 cards, then each player in turn would resolve the events and attacks in their cue. Then each player in turn would explor/envoy/battle. Then each would play cards on people (get revenge from the battle!), and then each would discard down as needed. At that point, you would probably pass the Start Player marker to the next person, so that the start player would go first every single round?

This would help a lot with the down-time I've seen complaints about, and in some ways would help keep everyone on track with all the various steps within their turn.

3. This did seem really frustrating, although I did feel like the Pikes have an advantage for the whole first part of the game, so maybe it's fair? We didn't even play with cannons.

4. Maybe a penalty for stopping one exploration early is that you add one time to whatever exploration your start next? Maybe that defeats the point of switching...
I think it's OK if constant war isn't a given and you have to chase people around.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hogan Brimacombe
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
The best laid plans of mice and men, often go awry...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all. I have at least ten games under my belt, usually with four players so i will chime in.

1. There are a total of 11-1000, 11-2000, 8-3000,6-5000, 5-6000, 5-7000, 2-10000, 1-12000, 2 Curse, 6 volcano, 3 dino tokens in the bag for a total of 60.

You are highly likely to end up grabbing some of the lower value tokens. These tokens are often all you will grab and you require serious luck to get a 6000 or better. It seems that when the war monger arrives at the dig site you need to get out with what you have, but it is better to stay and fight if you have only bad treasures anyway as you might as well dig. Remember that the winner of combat also loses a crew, very important!! But yes the risks of the bag seriously harming you are very very low until you draw that first curse token. At that point the risks go way, way up.

2.First players should be getting lynched on to compensate. If he does not have a t-rex or a triceratops or one of the very bad encounters played on him by his next turn the other players have failed. But yes this player does have a distinct advantage that needs to be dealt with by the gang up on the leader mentality.

3.Swords and muskets are not just better at the dig site. They are better all the time. (Shameless self plug to an earlier thread):
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1009698/swords-and-muskets-s...

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1015892/swords-and-muskets-s...

4.Yes, this will fail and does not work. War while exploring makes no strategic sense and will undoubtedly cost you turns that could have been better used racing to the dig site where your swords and muskets (as all good war players should have) will deal the hurt HARD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.