Subject: Outsider titles? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which 18xx titles are really different from the others but still playable? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Mathes
Germany
Essen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
2038: Tycoons of the Asteroid Belt is fun to play and different

Ciao

Martin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1829 Mainline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ur: 1830 BC and Poseidon are really different meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the good answers! Now I´m looking for "outsider titles" in the closer 18xx range, so titles where you build railway lines, hold shares etc, but that are still different to the other 18xx games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably something like Baltimore & Ohio?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seems to be a little simplified title, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smithlucas wrote:
seems to be a little simplified title, right?

it lacks the track laying component, but offers different challenges meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smithlucas wrote:
Which 18xx titles are really different from the others but still playable? Thanks!

Who are the ones you are familiar with?

Many of the popular titles add something new or unique if we compare to 1830 for instance.

1856 has government loans, the ability to promote villages to cities and railroads that drop too much in value cease to exists.

1870 allows railroads to buy it's own shares.

Some of them have smaller railroads that merge into bigger ones (1844 and I think some of the Japanese ones).

Are you looking for something that has even more of a drastic change?

I'm not a experienced 18xx player but who here would dare to say what 18xx title differs most from 1830 ( if we use it as a baseline because it's well known ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
good answer!! Yes! I´m familiar with 18EU which adds minors that merge into the corporations for example! I think there was one that featured mines/coal deliveries??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's one good reference:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/43918

The coal and steel game is 18Ruhr.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smithlucas wrote:
good answer!! Yes! I´m familiar with 18EU which adds minors that merge into the corporations for example! I think there was one that featured mines/coal deliveries??

Well 1830 has a coalfield variant and one of the 18AL private companies is a coal mine type.

I remember JC Lawrence once mentioned in a post that the development of different 18xx games was like a tree with branches as one games major features are used in a descendant game with some changes. I think it would be a good idea to make a community project to actually draw up this tree, but I guess many people would disagree how it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks! The tree would be cool, but I agree there will be several disagreements, but maybe they could be marked (e.g. in () ) But, anyway, I ´m not really able to contribute in a considerable way, because I know too few titles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Winterrowd
United States
Bluffton
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Double-O games often have some features that you do not get in most 18xx games.

1880 changes the way operating order is done and also when stock rounds occur, along with other interesting features.

1854 has a hexagonal stock market, tunnels and a sub-map which eventually resolves into two hexes on the main map.

1824 has coal trains, which must run from a coal mine and can pick up as many dink towns as they go through, and normal trains, which ignore dinks and run to cities only. These two types rust seperately.

I have not played other Double-O games, but these have a different feel from much of the "groupthink" in the Deep Thought catalog.

Not a Double-O title, but 1865: Sardinia completely changes the way runs are calculated, along with some other specific features.

I would probably consider 1824 and 1854 less "outlier" than the other two I have mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Scholes
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KronikAlkoholik wrote:

I remember JC Lawrence once mentioned in a post that the development of different 18xx games was like a tree with branches as one games major features are used in a descendant game with some changes. I think it would be a good idea to make a community project to actually draw up this tree, but I guess many people would disagree how it is.

I've been thinking about creating an "18XX taxonomy," probably the correct taxonomic nomenclature for such a tree. [A stretch to make this recursive I acknowledge, but the tree itself would be so as the ideas in later 18XX titles returned to 1830 as "variants."] Problem I've encountered is that there are so many different potential classification schemes within the genre that I couldn't decide on one that would be widely accepted.

1829 vs. 1830 seems to be an accepted first branching. http://fwtwr.com/18xx/rules_difference_list/single_list.htm provides many details that could be used in different ways, depending on what is salient to the specific player. Consider: capitalization %, mergers, laying more than one tile per OR. All are possible points of departure.

More important to many, and so far as I know not listed anywhere: which strategies are available/successful in each particular game. THIS is what I would consider the most useful and interesting taxonomic classification scheme but I don't have the experience and skill in playing 18XX games to be able to compile the data.

[edited to add link]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
18GL is different enough that it's actually been a challenge sometimes to keep track of what's going on in the game

Train runs by hex count rather than city count, though there's an exception later in the game, a government railroad that comes in partway into the game and takes over any failing private railroads, bank loans, bonds for the government railroad, ferries to cross the lakes, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Mellor
United Kingdom
London
ENGLAND
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smithlucas wrote:

Outsider depends on your perspective but many of the titles I have played have been playable. In somewhat more obscure terms:

- DTG: 18Neb, 1846 and many others are good.
- OO games: all are good and different
- Wolfram: recommend 18SX, 18RHL and others
Etc etc

In short many are very good despite low print runs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.