9 Posts

DreadBall: The Futuristic Sports Game» Forums » General

Subject: I bought the 'Kick Off' set - did I make a mistake rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy T(ea)
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi, I have lurked on BGG for years but this is the first time I’ve actually posted. Please be gentle

Anyway
I recently went to a games show in Nottingham and picked up a copy of Dreadball Kick off from the nice chaps on the mantic stand(I talked them into including it in a 3 for 2 deal with some other stuff).

Now I’m wondering if I should have just got the full set, everywhere I’ve looked people say get the deluxe edition – is this one really that bad?

Also I know that I can buy an upgrade pack that includes the cards and refbot and a PDF of the extra rules and that there is the season 2 rule book with extra gubbins in.

I much prefer actual books over PDFs so does the season 2 rule book contain all the rules or just extra rules? Basically to get the full set in hard copy do I need to get both the Season 1 and 2 rules books or is everything covered in the season 2 one?

Thank you oh wise and powerful BGGers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've no idea I'm afraid, but welcome to BGG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a regular Dreadball player so hopefully I can shed some light! First up you didn't make a mistake by getting Kick Off but the full version is better if you are planning on playing leagues or are familiar with games. It doesn't cost much to get the extra bits you need although it does come with the .pdf and not a hard copy of the rules. I would just e-mail Mantic and say you've got KO and you're going to get Extra Time but you'd like a hard copy of the rules and see if they can help you out. They are awesome guys and I would say with almost certainty that if they can help you out some how they will.

Regarding Season Two is does not contain all the rules that come with the core game so it's more like an expansion. What is does contain is rules for coaches, cheerleaders, alternative league rules, four new teams (Judwan, Robots, Z'zor and Female Corporation) along with a host of new MVPs (eight of the top of my head). You do not need it to play although once you've had some experience with the four core teams you may want to branch out to get these. There is also a season three rulebook along with associated miniatures due sometime next month.

Hope that helps and welcome to BGG. If you have any other questions just ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Kick-off is kinda reduced Dreadball version. You can play it. It´s fun, but actually including the cards and the Ref gives much to the game. I´d recommend ordering the extra time pack from mantic. They also sell the S1 rulebook for 9.99 if you want a hardcopy.

Once you start to get "bored" with the 4 Season 1 teams you can start to think about Season 2. The teams add a lot more variety to the game as do the new S3 teams.

Have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lines42 wrote:
The Kick-off is kinda reduced Dreadball version. You can play it. It´s fun, but actually including the cards and the Ref gives much to the game. I´d recommend ordering the extra time pack from mantic. They also sell the S1 rulebook for 9.99 if you want a hardcopy.

Once you start to get "bored" with the 4 Season 1 teams you can start to think about Season 2. The teams add a lot more variety to the game as do the new S3 teams.

Have fun.

Huh, I didn't even know they sold just the S1 rulebook! This is all solid advice though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy T(ea)
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for the advice chaps
I think I'll pick up extra time and the S1 rule book off mantic. I'll have a few games of the base set first thougth to justify the expense

Then on to S2 and that funky looking bug team

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aktr wrote:
Thanks for the advice chaps
I think I'll pick up extra time and the S1 rule book off mantic. I'll have a few games of the base set first thougth to justify the expense

Then on to S2 and that funky looking bug team

There's another funky looking bug/alien team called the Nameless coming with S3!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
welcome to The Geek

this is a great game, like others said, you'll probably want more
but it's a start

enjoy the game and the site

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Burke
England
Newcastle (aka Geordie Land)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look here for the rulebook as it's on sale for £2.99 + £2.50 P&P. They also have teams on special offer as well.

http://www.oggames.co.uk/OG003108-dreadBall-rulebook.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.