Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roberta Buckberg
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have an 8-year-old with some developmental issues that impact his planning capabilities and make complex games too frustrating for him, so I bought Hisss.

We liked the game, but it was a little too simple for the rest of us (and soon for him).

Soooooo we tried it tonight with this variation: each player has one tile in their "hand." When it is your turn, you draw another tile from the pile and you have a choice of which tile to play. This doesn't make this a high-level game, but provides some more choice to add strategy and interest.

We all had alot of fun with the game tonight - enough choices to keep us all engaged - enough luck that no one could take losing too personally!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kidd
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
That's an interesting variant. I might try it with my kids some time.

Just as a thought - maybe you could start on one of the Carcassonne variants. If at first you just play it like a puzzle, it is not much more complex than Hisss - really just matching 1-4 sides rather than 1-2. Then perhaps after mastering that you could gradually introduce other game elements.

It's great that you find games to be an enjoyable activity with your boy. I don't know anything about him at all beyond what you've said, but it may be that it could be a really good development exercise for him, and one that can be done in a safe, loving and fun environment.

Also, take a look at some of the lists for kids' games. I'm sure there are many that he would be able to play and would really enjoy.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.