Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rodney Clowsewitz
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game seems great but I'm a little nervous about the combat system. Anybody out there able to give me a brief description of how combat works?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haggett
United States
Riverside
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Units in UCS are activated one at a time. Mobile combat functions a bit like overrun in other games--if the attacking unit is successful, it can continue moving, but using other ground units is not possible (although air support is). Assault combat allows multiple units to take part, but no movement by those units is possible after combat (although they could advance, if the result allows). Choosing which to use is a bit of an art, as well as situational.

Resolution uses a chart that provides a range of results--each side rolls a die and applies all modifiers to its roll that applies. These rolls are cross-indexed and the result found. These can range from step loss (most ground units have 2 steps, although some only have 1) to retreat to No Effect.

The air and naval combat uses the same methodology and chart, although the Die Roll Modifiers (DRMs) are different.

The biggest leap to make coming in from other games is that while the units look like they have similar strengths, their effectiveness on the CRT is bound up in the DRM that different unit types and nationalities receive. It can take some repetition to get the DRMs down, but eventually they get internalized.

I didn't touch on Air or naval combat, but that should give an overview of land combat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hatepig wrote:
This game seems great but I'm a little nervous about the combat system. Anybody out there able to give me a brief description of how combat works?

Hi Rodney,

I'm at a convention now so I have little time to respond. Mike's response was good for ground combat. I'll try to respond in more detail when I return.

Sal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike already covered ground, but I'll touch upon it again. USE combat involves the same methodology for all types of combat.

There are no combat factors in the game. Instead, the attacker and defender each roll one six-sided die and apply specific die roll modifiers (DRM) to their die roll result. The DRM vary depending on the type of combat fought. For example, in ground combat a UK army receives a +1, but in naval combat a UK naval warship surface fleet receives +2.

When each side determines its final combat value, the attacker's value is cross-referenced with the defender's value on a Combat Results Table (one CRT used for all types of combat). Depending on the DRM, this presents 36 possible outcomes (though there are only a few possible results). This makes it very difficult to acheive a guaranteed result, thereby simulating fog of war and the occasional "heroic" outcome.

Ground combat results include no effect, retreats, strength reduction (most units only have two levels, some only one), and elimination.

Air and naval units do not have strength levels. Instead, they use I call a Sorties system. Whenever an air or naval unit activates, it will incur at least one Sortie. When an air or naval unit accumulates six Sorties, it can no longer activate until it goes below six again. So the more Sorties a unit has, the less it can do. In addition, the number of Sorties it has is a negative DRM in combat. Therefore, the more Sorties, the less combat effective the unit is.

Combat for air or naval units involves adding more Sorties (after determining the result using the above system). The thing about Sorties is that a unit can only remove up to two Sorties in a single turn (which is monthly). Therefore, a unit that has gotten to six Sorties would take three turns of no activity to be back up to full effectiveness.

For Strategic combat, the result of the combat (again, using the above system) determines if the attacker or defender lose the equivalent of a factory worth of production. Successive losses are cumulative. A no effect result allows both sides to recover one factory worth of production.

That's basically it. If you have a more specific question, just ask.

Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Pfeiffer
United States
Laporte
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What can I add to that... nothing. But, I will say after playing it for a bit I feel the system and charts melt away. That is it becomes second nature. It is easy and yet proper for the scale. This game has caused me to branch out into other wargames over the past 6 months(that seems backwards since it isn't in production yet). I would encourage you give http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/88253/unconditional-surre... a try. it is a smaller free version of the game. Fun and quick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.