Subject: Hobbit decks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Field
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that we've got Pippin (and a few more Hobbit event cards) in the latest AP, the time is ripe for decks themed around hairy-footed small folk.

I've been toying around with one, but Hobbit allies are so thin on the ground that it makes sense to throw a few Elves in. The card mechanics you end up with encourage avoiding attacks, and you'll therefore need to pair any Hobbit deck with a decent attacking deck.

I'll post my deck once I've playtested it tonight. Anyone tried a Hobbit deck already?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alogos teeheehee
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the last spoiler, it seems Faramir and Ranger have good synergy with the hobbits.

Low threat tactic hobbit + hands uppon the bow / trap that allow you to attack an ennemy in the staging / great yew bow
With Ranger bow / Faramir / raising engagement cost hobbit... returning in the staging hobbit... etc...

There seems to be a lot to think about, but one must be mono lore and one must be full hobbit, tricky...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Master of Lore
Hong Kong
Tai Tam
flag msg tools
mb
I tried the Hobbit deck that was offered by FFG: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4196

I usually play solo and the deck was quite a bit of fun! It's not very viable solo though, so I ended up going against Passage Through Mirkwood which made that quest seem nostalgically difficult like unwrapping that first Tactics starter deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy to wait for the Black Riders before I start messing with hobbits. I tend to go all in when I go thematic, and there's just not enough hobbit cards yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy to wait for the Black Riders before I start messing with hobbits. I tend to go all in when I go for power, and there's just not enough hobbit cards yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Field
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the deck I've been tinkering with. It's a bit different to FFG's, and features a very familiar resource-generation mechanic.

I've tested it two-handed against Journey Down the Anduin and, apart from those pesky Wargs dragging stage 3B out, it worked pretty well. I paired it with a brutal Gondor deck, because the Hobbits just aren't made for fighting. And they have plenty of abilities to avoid enemies, letting the Gondor war-machine do the meat-grinding.

I didn't use Pippin's ability once, though my threat certainly stayed low enough to do so. Denethor's ability meant I didn't have to face the Marsh Adder early on, but I did finish the game with both Hill Trolls and Chieftan Ufthak in my display.

Here's the deck:

Heroes:
Bilbo Baggins
Frodo Baggins
Pippin

Allies:
Arwen Undómiel x3
Imladris Stargazer x3
Zigil Miner x3
Northern Tracker x3
Wandering Took x3
Haldir x2
Gandalf (Core) x3

Attachments:
Fast Hitch x3
Ithilien Pit x3
Miruvor x3
Good Meal x2
Boots from Erebor x2

Events:
A Test of Will x3
Small Target x2
The Galadhrim's Greeting x3
Hobbit-sense x3
Short Cut x2
Out of Sight x2
Beorn's Hospitality x2
Dwarven Tomb x2

I'll be taking a copy of Short Cut out, and maybe a copy of Small Target, and swapping in Dwarven Tomb. And Northern Tracker is only in there for the attack boost - although the Response comes in useful.

Good Meal's a handy card in this deck too, so I might try and get a third copy in somehow.

If you're playing 'true solo', alternate Gandalf (The Hobbit: OHaUH) would be a good option. And I suppose you could get Keen-eyed Took in there with a Song of Kings, if you wanted to get rid of the less thematic allies.

EDIT: Got rid of both copies of Out of Sight, a copy each of Small Target and Short Cut, then replaced them with two copies each of Haldir and Dwarven Tomb. Updated the decklist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.