Subject: quick question to those who have played through the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the game scale in difficulty as you progress?

I only ask becasue my group just finished Chapter 4 and we seem to be finishing chapters easier and easier. As we get more abilities and better items. Now we did have some trouble with Chapter 2 and we kinda forgot that you could only use one ability per turn so we replayed Ch.2, but the last 2 chapters have been much easier. I'm pretty sure we have the best items in the deck, so really the only reason to search is for tricks.
Just wondering how others have found the difficulty of the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigGameGeek wrote:
Does the game scale in difficulty as you progress?

I only ask becasue my group just finished Chapter 4 and we seem to be finishing chapters easier and easier. As we get more abilities and better items. Now we did have some trouble with Chapter 2 and we kinda forgot that you could only use one ability per turn so we replayed Ch.2, but the last 2 chapters have been much easier. I'm pretty sure we have the best items in the deck, so really the only reason to search is for tricks.
Just wondering how others have found the difficulty of the game

The final acts do get more difficult. Vanestra & Friends really start putting up a good fight. Though overall I don't find this game to be overally difficult. It is more about immersing yourself into the story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you can only bring one search item from adventure to adventure, it is usually worth searching for extra armor, for example.

You are also about to enter the part where you use advanced encounter cards which are harder.

In general though the game is fairly forgiving, until it isn't. If you get a run of bad luck early then all of a sudden a mouse is down, and they have lost all of their cool equipment, and you are on page 5 staring down the cheese clock.

Two scenarios that I have always found to be a challenge are 9 and 11.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, that's a Japanese CTR ring shield cut in half...
mbmbmbmbmb
We had the same experience as you until Scenario 6--it took us 3 tries to beat this one. Haven't played 7 on up yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
As more difficult Encounter cards are used and special rules throw more enemies at you, things get nominally more challenging. But more Ability cards as you progress (depending on how much you mix up the mice—we perpetually neglect Filch and Tilda) and the extra Search card help mitigate the challenge, and the luck, which so far has been the real determiner of challenge.

Preternaturally awful rolls for the mice and amazing rolls for the minions made Chapter 3 our worst defeat. But then my wife and I just waltzed through 7 and 8 (or 6 and 7? Starting with the one to find the tome): we lucked out on the quest deck draws to find the tome quick; and the next chapter looked like it was coming close—The End started on page 4 and we got three surges—but no mouse was in real danger and we got a couple story and individual achievements (first time we got Roachmaster!), so everything came up Milhouse.

But now Colin can give everyone an extra action, Lily has a 1/6 chance of a second attack, Maginos can attack three enemies at once, and Nez does 5 dice per attack. We're getting pretty confident, so we'll see how well-founded that confidence is...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Karrde
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played the last couple chapters yet, so don't know how those compare, but I do remember a couple so far have seemed harder. Could be I just got lucky/unlucky on those play throughs?

But Jerry has said that each chapter was designed to be playable as a one-shot, meaning you don't have to have your mice leveled up via the campaign in order to beat it. So if you have your party basically maxed out and beefed up, it will definitely be easier than if you went into the scenario with four (or six?) basic mice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.