Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: 2 Overlord Gameplay Suggestions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Smith
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Going to be having 6 players over tonight. And I feel like having 5 heros and trying to balance would be difficult. Plus 1 is very new to these types of games so I figured why not do the 2 Overlord Gametype?

How would you guys do this? overlords take turns? Or have maybe each a seperate group?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Macrian the Heretic

Oregon
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You could have divide up the monsters or have one overlord run the cards and another overlord run the monsters. That had worked alright in games I've played. We tried taking turns with the overlord before, but for us it didn't work at all. The strategy suffered and it took a lot longer for each overlord to get up to speed every turn.

The maps themselves really aren't big enough to up the number of monsters in them for 5-6 heroes worth, either. The hallways would just be jam packed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, that might be kind of interesting. The main problems I can forsee is that the map would get way too crowded with figures (assuming you increase the number of monsters for the number of heroes). Plus it would likely throw off the balance of the quests.

Maybe you could make them split up their turn so they have to choose 2 heroes to activiate, then the 'junior' Overlord can activate one monster group, then the other 3 heroes, then the main Overlord can activate the rest of the monster groups. And instead of (number of heroes + 1) overlord cards maybe each OL gets (number of heroes - 1) cards. And all reinforcement is only done at the end of the second OL turn. Dunno, just thinking out loud.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I would just have the two Overlords sitting next to each other, each with access to the hand and the ability to discuss their turn with one another like the heroes have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.