Dr. Barbie
msg tools
mbmb
Howdy, folks! So we recently had another game night. There were 10+ people, ranging in personality type from non gamer to super geek, with drastically different preferences.

Surprisingly, out of everything on our shelf and also people bringing tons of their own games, we started with and stayed up all night playing all kinds of crazy variations for Ghost Blitz. It was amazing! Rowdy and the most fun any of us have had in a long time.

Part of it was that everyone could be involved, rather than break off into several smaller groups for separate games. But I think the biggest thing was the physical interaction aspect combined with fast thinking, fighting, swearing and laughing about it.

Do any of y'all have that magical party game like this that you would recommend?

Thanks and happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: More "grabby" brain games like Geistesblitz?
I really like Trigger as a speed party game. On your turn, you read a true or false statement and everyone has to slap the target with their left or right hand, after quickly figuring out if the statement is true (right) or false (left). What makes the game difficult is that statements aren't always straight forward. It could be "I am sitting next to a man", and then it depends on what the reader is doing, or "You are sitting next to a man", and each answerer is doing. There are also stupid trivia type things, like "K is the 18th letter of the alphabet", and just silly things, but you still have to actively think through it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am subscribing the hell out of this thread because I love Ghost Blitz and don't really know anything else like it.

I will mention that getting Geistesblitz 2.0 to expand it to two rooms is definitely worthwhile, if you like craziness and variations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Barbie
msg tools
mbmb
Thank you, Christen. That sounds fun.

A. Mandible, is the second game a stand alone or expansion? The description and comments are a little bit confusing. It sounds like you can put both decks together, but I'm now sure how that would work? Either way, it's worthwhile to have both? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
M√ľnster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick-a-Dog
and Halli Galli
are similar.

Attribute works differently, buts is also fun, with many players and icludes grabbing cards across the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ellyria wrote:
It sounds like you can put both decks together, but I'm now sure how that would work?

It's inelegant, but turns out to be fun!

The second game has five more objects; same colors as the first game, but different items. The cards have a different color background to the image (yellow, I think?) but an identical back SIDE.

To play them together, you put the objects in two separate little groups and shuffle all the cards together. If the card revealed is from the first game, ignore the second group of items entirely and grab the right item from the first group; do the reverse if the card is from the second game.

This turns out to be fun and confusing all on its own (and makes a slightly larger space that people have to reach into, so there's more physical chaos), but it gets even better if you add the rule that when there's a red item on the card, you have to grab the corresponding object from the OTHER room.

That is, if you see a red book and a grey mouse, you have to grab the grey bathtub from the second game. If you see a red bathtub and a white frog, you have to grab the blue book from the first game.

Where by "better", I mean "more likely to make my friends make a horrible face when I explain it but be fun in practice".

Best to start with a warmup round using just one game if there are new players, though; it really really helps to have which five items go together burned into your brain before you combine the two sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Barbie
msg tools
mbmb
Oh, gods! That sounds like completely insanity!

My brain would short circuit and explode. Awesome.

Pick-a-Dog and Pick-a-Pig might go over well too.

Thanks, guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Barbie
msg tools
mbmb
Just wanted to check in and say Pick-a-Pig is fantastic!

It's like Ghost Blitz and Dutch Blitz had a cute, silly baby.

We're still waiting for Geistesblitz 2.0 to get here. Everyone is really eager to try the new variations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ellyria wrote:
Just wanted to check in and say Pick-a-Pig is fantastic!

It's like Ghost Blitz and Dutch Blitz had a cute, silly baby.

And it's cheap! Okay, into the CSI order it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Barbie
msg tools
mbmb
Finally got Ghost Blitz 2! My brain hurts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.