Rob Milanovich
United States
Glendale Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This Board Game Life - Episode 027

In this episode Rob continues to go through the backlog of games from earlier in the year. Also, having been in Virgina for work he was able to visit several stores in Richmond and Charlottesville. Hear which ones he liked! The Question of The Show returns. Finally, check out the latest Game Lust! Enjoy!

Opening
00:00:00 - Intro
00:01:40 - New YouTube Channel!

Backlog
00:01:58 - Fleet
00:10:17 - Copycat
00:16:26 - The Resistance
00:20:10 - The Hanging Gardens
00:26:10 - Village
00:28:51 - Cartagena
00:34:22 - Peloponnes

Richmond Virginia Area Store Reviews
00:43:16 Store Reviews Intro
00:44:04 One Eyed Jacques
00:47:22 Dragon's Den
00:49:29 FTW Games
00:51:15 CVille Hobbies Games and Toys
00:53:06 Store Recap

Episode Question
00:53:32 Question of the Show

Game Lust
01:00:48 - Trains
01:02:42 - Rise of Augustus
01:03:36 - Ascension: Darkness Unleashed
01:06:26 - Spyrium

Closing
01:07:51 - Out

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contact This Board Game Life

TBGL Website
TBGL YouTube Channel

TBGL RSS
TBGL BGG Guild

TBGL Twitter
TBGL BGG BLOG

TBGL Facebook Group
Voicemail via Computer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Milanovich
United States
Glendale Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For some reason this episode was not inserted into the RSS feed properly. This has been corrected so it should be visible now.

Thanks to Lance for letting me know!

Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jones
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Check the Great Big Table podcast (http://greatbigtable.com), a podcast about expanding the board game hobby.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another great show, Rob. I particularly enjoyed Your tour of game stores in the Richmond area.

Keep up the great work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Milanovich
United States
Glendale Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jim!

I really enjoy seeing how stores differ across different geographic regions. Plus, I keep hoping to find some cool old dusty games that aren't available anywhere anymore!

Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Got two game tables and a microphone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finding this podcast was truly karmic. I'm looking for a game store today while visiting my mom. Guess where I am? You guessed it: Central Virginia, about a half hour outside Richmond.

Rob: I'm looking for Innovation specifically. I'm going to try One Eyed Jacques first; from your description, it seems as though I'd have the best chance there.

I'll let you know what I find out. Who knows, I may even play and buy a game at one of the shops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jones
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Check the Great Big Table podcast (http://greatbigtable.com), a podcast about expanding the board game hobby.
mbmbmbmbmb
rmilanov wrote:
Plus, I keep hoping to find some cool old dusty games that aren't available anywhere anymore!

That's true. I love that feeling.

I also like snagging current games that are popular but recently out of print. I just picked up a copy of Hanabi the other day from a local store. I knew it was sold out everywhere while they wait for another printing, but thought I'd cruise a couple of stores in my area to see if they just might have it. And they did!

A similar feeling is finding a good game at a thrift store for next to nothing. We cruise thrift stores whenever we're traveling and I hit up the local shops every week or so. We've found a bunch of pretty good to great games this way. My most recent find was an unpunched copy of Labyrinth. It had some box wear, but the game had never been played and I snagged it for $2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Milanovich
United States
Glendale Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
daveroswell wrote:
Finding this podcast was truly karmic. I'm looking for a game store today while visiting my mom. Guess where I am? You guessed it: Central Virginia, about a half hour outside Richmond.

Rob: I'm looking for Innovation specifically. I'm going to try One Eyed Jacques first; from your description, it seems as though I'd have the best chance there.

I'll let you know what I find out. Who knows, I may even play and buy a game at one of the shops.

I'd love to hear what your thoughts are on the store(s) you visit! One Eyed Jacques is probably the best bet. Definitely check out the ding and dent section as it has some great deals. Essentially 50% off retail on everything.

-Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Milanovich
United States
Glendale Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
morlockhq wrote:
rmilanov wrote:
Plus, I keep hoping to find some cool old dusty games that aren't available anywhere anymore!

That's true. I love that feeling.

I also like snagging current games that are popular but recently out of print. I just picked up a copy of Hanabi the other day from a local store. I knew it was sold out everywhere while they wait for another printing, but thought I'd cruise a couple of stores in my area to see if they just might have it. And they did!

A similar feeling is finding a good game at a thrift store for next to nothing. We cruise thrift stores whenever we're traveling and I hit up the local shops every week or so. We've found a bunch of pretty good to great games this way. My most recent find was an unpunched copy of Labyrinth. It had some box wear, but the game had never been played and I snagged it for $2.

Nice find! I snagged the electronic aMAZEing Labyrinth at B&N's clearance a few weeks ago. A week later the local Salvation Army store had both aMAZEing Labyrinth and Junior Labyrinth. Almost jumped on them as well but held off due to shelf space issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Got two game tables and a microphone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rmilanov wrote:
daveroswell wrote:

I'd love to hear what your thoughts are on the store(s) you visit! One Eyed Jacques is probably the best bet. Definitely check out the ding and dent section as it has some great deals. Essentially 50% off retail on everything.

-Rob

I'm pretty greedy when I go to a game store. I want it all: great product, friendly staff, accessiblity and an opportunity to game.

One Eyed Jacques 3104 West Cary Street in Richmond

Product: Definitely their strength. Unlike some other game stores I've been to, One Eyed Jacques has great variety of product. I called ahead, but they had exactly what I was looking for (Innovation). You were absolutely right. Their ding and dent section has some great bargains. The best bargain I saw was a Harry's Grand slam deluxe game for five bucks because the tin had a dent. (I have a couple copies already, if you love sports games, that's a great deal.)

Accessibility: To me, the biggest weakness. The best way to get to this store from where I am involves paying about 2 dollars in tolls round trip. The parking was awful.

Staff/open gaming: I have to admit, I presented myself as someone who would not be a regular customer. The person I spoke to was very helpful and enthusiastic about gaming. However, he didn't seem too thrilled I might be coming to open game. I had a feeling I was just another possible reason the store would have to be closed late.

Recommendation: If you are looking to shop, this is an awesome option if you map your route and are willing to possibly pay a small toll road fee. For gaming, you may want to shop around. A full service store is very hard to find, and I would say this is a great store for shopping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.