David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, after almost a year of cajoling I finally got those bastards I game with to try out Succession. Players were myself, Leivur Langgaard, Bogi Hojgaard and Runi Joenssen.

First game I was Squire, Leivur was Ambassador, Bogi was Wizard and Runi was Royalist. Things unfortunately did not fall Runi's way and he was rapidly reduced to an income of 1 per turn. He was able to offset this with a lucky draw that put him back in the good graces of a couple of candidates, but he was never able to recover. Leivur brokered deals to take the blame on one or two occasions, but nobody used the strategy of charging other players money to *give* him the blame.

The game ended about two-thirds of the way through the deck when I was able to use A Friend in Need to discredit everyone else with Arianna and take advantage of them having paupered themselves the turn before to try and stop Leivur winning. I took my income and with the aid of an Influence card was able to push Arianna to 10 with an Intrigue.

Having spent so long listening to them going "Yeah, maybe... but can't we play Betrayal at House on the Hill again?" every time I suggested playing Succession, they of course thought it was great and wanted to play again.

In the second game I was Ambassador, Bogi was Squire, Runi was Wizard and Leivur was Royalist. This was a much more interesting game for two reasons. Ffirst, we drew nearly all the Intrigues that improve a candidate's standing in the first half of the game and the ones that decrease it in the second half. Second, Runi used the Wizard's card drawing power to ruthless effect and with the aid of a few lucky draws managed to net himself an income of 21 per turn by the second time around the table.

A certain amount of the game was spent with the three of us trying to stop Runi pushing a candidate to 10, while simultaneously pumping our own standings. Bogi was selling the Squire's innate 2-bid to Runi for 1 gold, which didn't help; meanwhile, Leivur was getting in deep with Archie.

The game was finally decided by the last card of the deck, which was drawn by Bogi. The card itself was irrelevant - but if there'd been one more card, Runi would have got an additional turn and 17 gold and the outcome would not have been in doubt. As it was, Bogi was the only player who couldn't win. Runi had 13 gold, I had 11, Leivur had 5, but Bogi had 16 after income. Venetia, Arianna and Arianna all had 8 standing; Galahad had 7, but nobody had an Intrigue left that could boost standing except Runi and since Bogi was both richer and on better standing with Galahd he wouldn't have played it if he could. I had the highest standing with Venetia thanks to a timely Friend in Need (that card really is very swingy), Runi and Leivur were tied for standing with Archie, but Leivur was ahead in standing with Arianna. This made Bogi kingmaker; on the basis of money, he could back anyone to victory in the vote-off. He could also essentially give me the win by passing his turn; Runi couldn't buy Archie the candidacy without spending himself below Leivur and losing that way.

Instead, Bogi played an Intrigue that would knock Venetia down to 7 standing. I had to oppose this or lose, but if I did oppose it it would cost so much money that I couldn't win anyway. I voted Fail 0, thinking I was done regardless because Runi could support the Intrigue with enough left over to beat Leivur out for the candidacy vote. However, Bogi had played the Intrigue with the intention of drawing Runi's money out and had in fact thrown everything into a Fail vote. Runi could have won had he played less cautiously or if I had tried to defend my position, but because he'd only put in enough to ensure the Intrigue would succeed even if both Leivur and I put in everything he lost it. I was left with just enough money to outbid the pair of them combined and make Venetia the candidate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a great couple of games! I need to make time to play Succession again. We're so busy developing Battleground here that I haven't played my own creation for months!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it was fun ... but I realised after the fact that we'd only been assigning credit and blame for successful intrigues.

BTW, I tried sending this to you as an Evil Army report but got a bounce. Can you PM me your current addy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.