Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night, Dave B. and I got together at my place for a friendly game of Star Fleet Battles. The goal was to continue my education and get me more familiar and comfortable with the game. While my commanding skills are somewhat weak, I think I put forth a much better effort than in the other two games I've been involved in. However, in the end, my E7 Klingon heavy cruiser fell before the might of the Federation (DB, what was the ship you were using?).

We used the small, standard starmap, and we started off opposite each other on the long sides. As I had been given some tips at the last game (and afterwards) regarding how to best play the Klingons, I tried to keep in mind that I needed to do hit-and-run tactics. I needed to keep my distance from the Fed ship, and I needed to whittle him down.

From the get-go, I pumped 21 points into my movement and headed off towards the Feds. I figured I'd try my luck with keeping him busy with drones and firing my disruptors and phasers from a distance. As Dave would point out to me through the game, it makes sense to try to stagger the drone launches in a way that I'd get more than two on the map at any given time, but for the first few turns, I was trying to take advantage of the 32 movement. Basically, I was firing drones off on the first or second phase and hoping for the best.

At the outset, Dave set a slow movement rate. He told me that when the Feds are moving slowly, it usually means they're powering up their photon torpedoes. This is a lesson I still need to learn, as I took a pounding later on by those torps.

As the game progressed, I tried to keep my distance, circling Dave's ship like a vulture waiting for his meal to die. I whittled down a couple of shields, but at the same time, Dave nixed the shields on my entire left side -- and then I had a difficult time keeping those shields away from him.

We settled into a dogfight, with me trying to maneuver so Dave couldn't shoot at my ship's innards but I could still fire at him. Dave did a great job of hiding his downed shields from me, and he gladly pumped all kinds of specific shield reinforcement into those downed shields to keep me from punching through easily.

Still, I managed to do a little bit of internal damage, although as the encounter wore on, my circles started getting smaller and smaller. I knew two of his shields were down, and my Klingon crew was smelling blood. Little did they know, it was their blood. As I circled in closer and fired disruptor burst after disruptor burst, Dave powered up his phasers and photon torpedoes and fired them right into my hull, doing some serious damage to the innards and cutting my power down significantly.

I didn't feel I was licked yet, as I still had three of my four disruptors and two phaser threes, so I moved in again and crossed my fingers. My maneuvering slipped up here, and I found myself cutting right in front of Dave's bow (one hex range). Dave opened up with everything he had and did enough damage to blow my ship out of the sky.

Lessons learned: When a Fed ship loses a couple of shields, it doesn't mean it's in trouble. When a Fed ship slows down, run the hell away. Keep track of when the Fed ship's photon torpedoes are fired, as it will dictate what the Klingons need to each turn (I think I should jot a note down in the future when the torps are fired). Firing all weapon systems at once is much better than firing one or two here and one or two there; concentrated fire is my friend.

And finally... This game is too much fun.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel V

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ctalbot wrote:
Firing all weapon systems at once is much better than firing one or two here and one or two there; concentrated fire is my friend.

While almost always true, there's a little trick which is sometimes useful.

If your target has a down shield, and there are a few impulses with no movement coming up, it is sometimes better to stagger your fire out. This is because of those "one hits" on the damage allocation chart, and the fact that most of those "one hits" are power or weapon hits. So, by pumping phaser fire through a down shield over three different impulses, you tend to inflict more weapon and power damage to your opponent.

I'm happy to hear someone enjoying SFB! Ask your teacher if you can play the Feddies instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gabriel_V wrote:
I'm happy to hear someone enjoying SFB! Ask your teacher if you can play the Feddies instead.

Thanks for your comments. I still don't really have the movement chart memorized, but as I become more familiar with it, I should be able to take advantage of that tactic you suggested.

I played the Feds the first time I played in the fall, and I must admit the Klingons kicked my butt at that time. I made some mistakes in tactics and maneuvers, but I think I've got a better idea of what to do now. I'll be playing the Feds again shortly in a short campaign with another SFB player. I'll probably be posting session reports as we go along.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Hoipkemeier
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Ask your friend to explain the rules on "scatter packs," then play him again. Enjoy!

Tampahop aka Cat-Who-Chews-On-Scrap-Metal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Borges
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ctalbot wrote:

I played the Feds the first time I played in the fall, and I must admit the Klingons kicked my butt at that time.

Just so everyone knows, I was the Klingons in that game
I enjoyed this game, and I'm finally going to be able to play it again tomorrow and/or Federation Commander. I'm going to try for both if time permits.

Glad to hear you're having more and more fun with this, Chris. We will definitely need a rematch soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tampahop wrote:
Ask your friend to explain the rules on "scatter packs," then play him again. Enjoy!

I've had scatter packs, suicide shuttles and wild weasels explained to me, but I'll wait a bit before getting into them. They sound a bit more advanced, both in rules and in tactics.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Lindsey
United States
Loganville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ctalbot wrote:
Tampahop wrote:

I've had scatter packs, suicide shuttles and wild weasels explained to me, but I'll wait a bit before getting into them. They sound a bit more advanced, both in rules and in tactics.

Chris

Yeah I can't imagine playing Klingons or Kzinti without scatter packs. Or Feds without WW for that matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.