Letters from Whitechapel» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Blue Clues Effectiveness rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob K.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I haven't yet fully come to understand or perhaps more accurately appreciate what advantage exactly the blue clue markers offer for Jack.

By placing them you are just preventing a search/arrest in that circle. If you're trying to divert the police, it doesn't seem to work because just the placement alone suggests he's been there, or it's simply a diversionary tactic. Either way if I'm the police I'm not biting on that. I will still search the next adjacent circles, which I would do if there wasn't a blue clue marker placed anyway. The only advantage I can calculate would be if Jack was currently on that circle where the blue clue marker is, effectively evading an immediate arrest attempt. But that also seems very incriminating. It potentially pinpoints him to the exact location. Now I suppose the argument could be made that it gives him another turn to escape, but it seems at that point if the police are near, which I don't see why they wouldn't be if he had to use the clue in the first place--that it is only going to delay the inevitable.

The only other possible advantage that the blue clues could offer, and would require a lot of normal clues to acquire enough of them for this tactic is; I suppose Jack could "pave" a way back to his hideout with multiple blue clue markers. But how many could he possibly acquire with only a maximum of 20 moves in one turn. The police would have to be hot on his trail to get enough to be effective, and subsequently know exactly the area his hideout is in. Almost assures that he is dead meat on a hook the next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Who else thought this was

Spoiler (click to reveal)
A Blues Clues variant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Halbower
United States
Muskegon
Michigan
flag msg tools
Not Oswald!!!
badge
Vic Mackey
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never used the false clue tokens because they don't seem to be necessary in our games.

However, I think the false clue tokens could give Jack an advantage. He can lay them out in a way that makes it difficult to stay on his trail.

On the first night, it seems likely that the cops will find about 5 clues, giving Jack a false clue token. Jack should place this in such a place so as to allow him an extra move before the cops are again on his trail.

Typically, the cops can deduce one of two things from a given "search for clues" action:
_______1. Jack was here!!
_______2. Jack went the other way.

The false clues add a third possibility that is all bad for the cops:
_______3. We cannot determine if Jack is here or if he went the other way.

So if Jack killed on spot 147, you know his first move was to 111, 133, 134 or 146. A cop starts on the yellow square between 130 and 145. He can reach 146 on his turn. Put a false clue token on 146 and he cannot exclude that as a part of Jack's trail.

Another strategy is to put a false clue token on 100 which has fourteen(!!) outlets. The cops cannot be sure if Jack went there or not. With so much ground to cover, the five cops cannot possibly cover 100 plus its 14 exit points if they are unsure if Jack went that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.