Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred J
Netherlands
Wassenaar
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I must admit I have always had a strong interest in the Crimean campaign in 1941-42 so you can imagine my excitement when I eventually received the 13th release of the Franc Tireur (FT) Magazine.

Overall quality

100 color pages, 16 action packed scenarios and one A4-sized overlay. The FT team has obviosuly put a lot of time and effort into this release and it shows. In my humble opinion, this is definitely the best ASL magazine release of 2012 (the ASL journal 10 is, again in my opinion, a much inferior product).

Content

The shining pieces of the magazine are the two articles on the Criman Campaign in 1941-1942 as well as the retaking of the Crimea by the Red Army in 1944. One thing I truly liked is the illustration showing where all scenarios from this magazine took place in reality – effectively telling the story of what happened, where and when. The magazine also includes a 20 pages article about possible strategies, thoughts and considerations on Berlin: Red Vengeance (HoB). Quite unfortunately, I have never played this module (nor intend to do so in the near future) so I skimmed through the article pretty quickly (though I took note of a few generic tactical tips that could be applicable to other modules).

The WW2 enthusiast (which I am) will also enjoy a very informative article about the Romanian mountain chasseurs telling the background and history of this elite force.
Last but not least, the article 'sweat saves blood' provides a fairly gfodo overview (with some very good examples) of the fortifications usually found in the European Theater of Operations.

Scenarios

I have not played all of them but those I tried (Stug of War, NKVD Nut, Severnya Serenade) were up to the usually high Franc Tireur standards.

Here is the full list:

- First Soviet Lost (FT 180): Red Army chinese against GMD in 1929.
- The Bet (FT81): Norway in 1940.
- Rolling Thunder (FT182): Crimea in October 1941.
- Partisan stronghold (FT183): Crimea in December 1941
- Chapel Hill (FT 184) : Crimea in December 1941
- Stug of War (FT 185): Crimea in January 1942 (5 Stug IIIB takes 3 T26- and 3 BT7 on their way to the Parpach line)
- TrappenJagd (FT 186): Crimea in May 1942 (German attack on the Kertch Peninsula)
- TrappenJagd: the end (FT 187) : Crimea in May 1942 (end of the German attack on the Kertch Peninsula)
- NKVD Nut (FT188): Crimea in June 1942 (German assault on Sevastopol)
- Severnya Serenade (FT189): Crimea : June 1942 : river assault
- Land of Fire (FT190): Crimea in December 1943 (Romanian against Soviets)
- Romania Victor (FT191): Crimea : December 1943 (Romanian against Soviets)

Again, a great magazine and a great collection of scenarios. I highly recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.