Popular Tags: [View All]
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone made use of any WorldWorksGames sets for making homemade 3d dungeon sets?

http://www.worldworksgames.com/store/index.php

If so - which ones? (I may be getting a copy on Saturday and know I'll want to make 3d maps.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking of this bad boy!

http://www.worldworksgames.com/store/index.php?view=product&...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hoyt
United States
East Liverpool
Ohio
flag msg tools
ボルトン
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

After seeing that very cool Diorama set up SodaPop Miniatures did for the Con preview of Von Drakk Manor I always thought World Works Games Shelendrak Manor set would be fun to try and do something similar.

Also, some of their Hellworks sets would work pretty nice with the theme of SDe denizen miniatures.

~Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah - that Manor is pretty sweet.

Personally - I like the WWG sets - as I don't have to devote a TON of time and it doesn't take a lot of talent (which I do not have) to pull off something that looks very nice.

I made a few dungeons when we played Descent first edition - BUT - it did add to the glaring omission of me not painting all the miniatures there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hoyt
United States
East Liverpool
Ohio
flag msg tools
ボルトン
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I've got most of their sets. I've been a paper model & terrain devotee for some years now. They make great sets that are easy to build and look
great on the table. I have the older version of the Lair of the Dragon
God (pre-tlx)and it had served well for a few games of Warhammer Quest.

~Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks almost like the Malifaux Terraclips terrain (without the clips). Have you looked up any of the Hirst Arts stuff? They do molds for terrain and several vendors sell them on eBay. Very flexible in what you could build (it might be what they used for the displays at GenCon and other conventions).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scubadawg1 wrote:
Looks almost like the Malifaux Terraclips terrain (without the clips). Have you looked up any of the Hirst Arts stuff? They do molds for terrain and several vendors sell them on eBay. Very flexible in what you could build (it might be what they used for the displays at GenCon and other conventions).

Here's a link to Hirst Arts: http://www.hirstarts.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this anything like "Fat Dragon Games" paper folding dungeons and castles?

http://www.fatdragongames.com/fdgfiles

- SK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
scubadawg1 wrote:
scubadawg1 wrote:

Here's a link to Hirst Arts: http://www.hirstarts.com/

And yes - I've looked at Hirst Arts... I have neither the time nor the patience for making and painting molds... that said - they look amazing when they are done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
sargonkid wrote:
Is this anything like "Fat Dragon Games" paper folding dungeons and castles?

http://www.fatdragongames.com/fdgfiles

- SK

And yes - looks similar... I haven't seen Fat Dragon - I'll check it out! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is 2 cents from a lazy gamer on Hirst Arts vs paper craft.

Paper terrain is nice but can sometimes be just as much work as Hirst Arts.
Basic stuff like walls aren't an issue, but when you get intricate pieces where you have to cut and score many lines on a complicated shape it does become tedious - I was doing some World Works terrain for Heroclix and found that.

Hirst Arts on the other hand, the tedium is the casting and you'll need to do a lot of it, but once you have the casts it actually is very fun to assemble terrain from there.
The wife says its like playing with Legos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can buy already cast stuff from www.castlekits.com. I'm sure there are other sites, too. Still needs assembly and painting, but the terrain is pretty nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Kuyvenhoven
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Guys,
So I've been busy play with Hirst Arts moulds, doing a castle creation for my super dungeon explore game.
figured I would show off what i've made thus far.
Keep in mind these are just basic rooms with a few coats of grey and drybrush, most of the detail work has not even been started. I played a few games in my castle and it was a BLAST! Can't wait to finish everything off.
Still planning on creating stand alone wall dividers to block off open ended rooms, and make closed doors with archways that fit into the open door ways rather than just blocking them off with pillars.

Enjoy!

Last two images are the same room " Secret Passage "
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Kuyvenhoven
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also made these guys first, before I did the Hirst Arts thing.

If you like these, I did a basic tutorial on youtube. You could check it out if interested, you'll find part 1 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqzPqDRUPEs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jake - Those look AWESOME! Thanks for sharing.

Quick question - how do you do the water?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Kuyvenhoven
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey thanks!
I've provided two links down below for answers.
The first will provide written instruction, and if you are wanting to do an open water space ( water right to the edge of your terrain ) check that out. If you want a simple instruction for an enclosed water space ( lake / fountain ) you can check out my youtube video.

I learned how to do it from the tips & Tricks page on the Hirst Arts website, found here:

http://www.hirstarts.com/tips17/tips17.html#water

But I also, just literally finished uploading a video tutorial on how it's done, found here: ( May still be in youtube processing and not available )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klV8UGbfkK8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
And I hear ya on the Hirst vs. the paper craft.

That said - I own a color laser printer and have plenty of card stock. So from a time perspective - it might be similar in the long run - but for me - the cost would be MUCH lower.

What I'm tempted to do - is to just make "replicas" of the 10 existing maps and then figure a vertical way to stack and transport them. The we can play on the existing setup of the maps...

But who knows - I still don't have my copy yet! It's purchased - but I have to pick it up tomorrow!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SoylentRed wrote:
What I'm tempted to do - is to just make "replicas" of the 10 existing maps and then figure a vertical way to stack and transport them. The we can play on the existing setup of the maps...

That's what I'm doing:

Only done the first one so far and I decided to copy the existing tiles as I was afraid of messing up the tiles and creating chokes or something if I did my own. Once I've done these I might just replicate them again but with different styles (so trees instead of lava for example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jochem petit
Belgium
Aalst
oost-vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mb
those hirst arts did you cast it in plaster on in plastic ? and what number molds you use ? i am also thinking to start a dungeon in hirst arts but im lost in what molds to use so many options

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
brokeuh wrote:
those hirst arts did you cast it in plaster on in plastic ? and what number molds you use ? i am also thinking to start a dungeon in hirst arts but im lost in what molds to use so many options

Looks like 203 for the floor tiles and 40,42 and 43 for most of the rest.

203 Floors

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
jonahmaul wrote:
SoylentRed wrote:

That's what I'm doing:

Only done the first one so far and I decided to copy the existing tiles as I was afraid of messing up the tiles and creating chokes or something if I did my own. Once I've done these I might just replicate them again but with different styles (so trees instead of lava for example).

That's really cool! I hadn't considered foam like that.

What techniques do you use to paint it? And when painted - will it be more firm than the foam? Like more resistant to denting as people move heroes and monsters around?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SoylentRed wrote:
That's really cool! I hadn't considered foam like that.

What techniques do you use to paint it? And when painted - will it be more firm than the foam? Like more resistant to denting as people move heroes and monsters around?

I haven't painted any yet as this is the first one I've done but I'm planning to just paint it black with black emulsion and then paint it regularly with acrylic paints (not decided on colour yet). Painting it might make it a little firmer but not a lot. Styrofoam is pretty tough though unlike regular polystyrene but people will need to be careful or face my wrath devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Kuyvenhoven
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That looks really good Jonah, can't wait to see the rest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Kuyvenhoven
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very close on the moulds ( The wall was 95 ) looks much cooler than 40 in my opinion.
I also picked up the #85 accessory set, not seen in the photos.
I'll be using that to add a little depth to my castle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Korsheth wrote:
That looks really good Jonah, can't wait to see the rest

Yes - please Jonah!

Show the finished product! (Bonus points if you share the steps you take a long the way to finished product.

Also - one thing I've seen on the Styrofoam that you are using - is to roll up a ball of tin foil - then to roll that lightly over your floor. That adds a random roughing to it for texturing/wear appearances. (In case you didn't know that trick!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.