BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Press Releases

Subject: New Project: Strife rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mack St. Laurent
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Hello everyone! I figured here would be a best place to do this. So I'll cut to the chase.

What is Strife?

Strife is a multi-player deck building card game in which 2 to 6 players duke it out in a free-for-all arena battle to see who comes out on top. Strife will be a quick and easy to learn game with enough depth and replay value to keep you hooked. Now, that's not the only mode of the game! There are optional rulings for team battles, whether it be 2 vs 2 or 3 vs 3. There is also another optional variant of Strife in which the players form teams of three to duke it out in a MOBA-style game, where you destroy monsters, towers, and other players in an attempt to raze their home base. Though this is an optional mode, each set will have enough cards in it to support it, and make it a viable alternative to fighting each other in simple turn-based duels.

What makes Strife different?

I've been a fan of card games for pretty much most of my life. I started playing Magic: the Gathering about 15 years ago, and from there I played many other card games. However, there was just something missing, I felt, from them. Strife is a project I've been working on for a few years now, and the concepts I've come up with, I think, take the resource part of a card game and turn it upside down.

Strife is a game of sacrifice. As your hero battles in the arena, attempting to slay his foes, he must make great sacrifices in order to claim victory. Whether it be by forsaking his favored set of arms and armaments, willingly sacrificing parts of his life force, or his knowledge, anything that he can use to better his chances at victory can, and should be sacrificed.

Sacrifice is your resource in Strife. Your equipment, spells, your hand of cards, even your character's vitality and your library of cards can be sacrificed. Why? You sacrifice to bring cards from your hand into play. Whether it's a powerful new weapon or a magical spell, or even a monster to add a bit of chaos to the battlefield, a cost must be paid for it, and you do this by sacrificing other cards. Each card has a unique sacrifice value that denotes how much that sacrifice is worth. Some will be high, some will be low.

Sacrifice is the main mechanic behind Strife. This is what fuels the game and makes it quick. Each player will be racing and sacrificing everything to get an edge over their opponents, and combat will quickly become extremely deadly when players start flinging action cards during combat.

There are quite a few card types in Strife, and I'll explain them all to you briefly.

Champion cards represent the character in the Arena you are fighting as.

Monster cards are self-explanatory: they are vicious beasts let loose to add a bit of carnage to the battlefield.

Action Cards are combat abilities your character unleashes as a surprise. Parrying, Blocking, Dodging, Sidestepping, and Tripping are just a few examples of action cards.

Spell cards are unique magical spells that your character can harness in combat. Casting a fireball or healing yourself are a few spell examples.

Technique cards are unique combat maneuvers your character can unleash. Some of these Technique cards have action card mirrors, but others do not.

Equipment cards represent weapons and armor your characters use in the battle. Each character starts with two equipment cards.

What was that you said about drafting?

Yes, I said you draft your cards from the set. Strife will come with about 400 cards. From this you remove all the optional cards, which will leave you with somewhere between 320 - 340. Then, each player is dealt out 20 cards each, three separate times. It works exactly like booster drafting in Magic, where you take one card, and pass it off to the player to your left or right until you have a stack of cards that you hand picked.

If you wanted to go about it a different way, there will be an optional variant where you start with only a few cards, and you build up your strength by killing monsters and sacrificing your battle trophies for better equipment in spells.

Strife is designed to be a flexible card game, one that can be shaped into a great many things.

I know, this sounds like a really ambitious project and I admit, it is. But I've always wanted to make a card game, and I have an artist that has a life long dream of illustrating a card game.

This will be launched on kickstarter soon. I have yet to decide on a card face for the game, and the artist is working on the logo of the game as we speak. After that, I only need to get the video finished and release the kickstarter.

There will be plenty of awesome rewards, too! The MSRP for Strife is going to be around 50 dollars because I have to meet the minimum imposed by the printing company, as well as pay the artist. Some of the rewards for early birds are discounted pricing for a few hundred people, but the cooler rewards are later on in the tiers. There is one where you can design your own character, and another where you can even get yourself put into the game!

I know, it sounds out there, but to me it sounds like awesome fun. I've always wanted to do this, and if I can get this game funded, I could die happy.

When the Kickstarter is launched I'll update this thread, and will also answer any questions. If you want to see any art assets, too, feel free to ask. I don't mind sharing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should use music from the hardcore band: Strife, for an intro, no one would know why the choice of music but the few...ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mack St. Laurent
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
That's a good idea, actually. Thanks

But I have a friend making a chiptune song for it so I'm using his

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.