Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Scott
Canada
Port Perry
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to set the record straight, right now. This title was brought to my attention a few months back, when BGG user Kobra1 mentioned it. Now, Kobra1 is an excellent BGG member - he contributes, stands up for what he believes in, and isn't afraid to tell you why he doesn't fall for the hype. With that said, I felt compelled to find this game and play it, and I'm very glad that I did.. (had to get it shipped in from Belgium) .. So, thanks Kobra1!

Now, on to the game..

2 Players, Brian and myself.

The first part of the game is your standard 'place-a-person-in-the-doomed-house' routine. Multiple plays will highlight the strategy of using this early round to lay claim to key property - exemplarized by the number of possible 'relatives' that can be gained, and its location in regard to the oncoming lava 'splash zones'.. Brian and I have a similar strategy, and lay claim to houses 5, 9, 10 and 1 early on.

The first AD.79 card is pulled. Vesuvius bubbles. The civilians don't care though, and they're determined to pack their friends, families, dogs and everything else into the ill-fated city.

The round continues, relatives are now in play, as are the 'omen' cards.

Houses fill in fast - using the pre-placed characters in the houses, relatives pile on in.. Of the 36 meeples we had to begin with, we each placed about 27 on the board. (I'm writing this from memory) Omen cards are drawn, hot lava ash strikes the occaisional family member and the meeple is quickly thrown into the volcano.

The second AD.79 card is drawn, early, likely was about the first of the last 15 cards to draw, which catches us both off-guard. "But we want to fill the city in with more meeples!" -- "No!" (say the gods of lava and all that)

We begin to draw 6 tiles, and to our delight, noone was scorched and the exits were all still available. Brian starts his move, heading for the exit.. I continue, while lava is burning down houses and meeple-people crawl over each other to get to the exits.

Lava! More magma barrels down, striking both mine and Brian's meeples - and exits are starting to close. We're pulling a good, varied tile set - nothing that focuses on one particular tile-type - and as a result, lava is pouring out all over the city.. not concentrated.

Brian manages to get all of his remaining people out while I still have 4 in the city. He just draws lava while I try to escape, and I won't be stopped.. I've got enough time to escape.

When the dust settles and the survivors are counted - I'm ahead, ahead by one. At this point, I'm the winner. (yay me). We look into the volcano to see several more of Brian's meeples in the volcano than mine, making my win exceptional!

Such a great game.. I do advise anyone who hasn't played it to give it a shot. I love the theme - it's so interesting - and the destruction and chaos can easily be imagined as people clamor over each other to escape. Awesomeness. Of course, I'm looking forward to playing again, but sure do wish that I could play this with 6 people.. 4 just doesn't seem to be enough.

Till next time..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Ludwick
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Der Untergang von Pompeji is our favorite family- friendly (and not so friendly) game of all-time.

BTW, I just volunteered myself to attend (as a chaperone) my son's 6th grade class field trip to The Field Museum in Chicago, for "Pompeii: Stories from an Eruption" exhibit... in 2 weeks!

Now, how cool is that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Scott
Canada
Port Perry
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, that is cool!

The topic for Pompeii as a 'family game' is freaky, if only because of the content, but it totally makes sense on account of the game's simplicity and time to play.

I'll bet your son will enjoy the exhibit.. who said that fun games couldn't be educational?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.