Popular Tags: [View All]
Jared Parkinson
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to try a LCG. Which do I pick Marvel Ledgendary, Net Runner or LotR? I think I gravitate towards marvel and LotR with theme, but I like the cooperative of LotR. Any thoughts on which you prefer?

Also if I jump into this do I have to be two core sets? I don't see it as necessary as net runner since its coop instead of vs.
I've missed some of the expansions and a lot are out of print but which ones are the best ones to get?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Edit ok so Marvel is coop too. What pros cons do you all see between the two?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Marvel Legendary / LotR LCG are pretty different in complexity/mechanics. Marvel is a pretty traditional drafting game in the style of Dominion, but with a boss/minions to fight against. LotR is a more complex card game in the style of MagicTG/A Game of Thrones/Call of Cthulhu etc, just against a central deck + minions, with a strong element of deck building to do well against the very hardest decks.

LotR is a much more interesting game in my experience. Buying a single base game + the two Hobbit themed expansions will give you a good set to play with. This is a great read for "solo" play but a good intro in general to the game IMO & its expansions. If you look at each of the Hobbit expansions, there's a couple of great reviews putting them into the context of "base game + Hobbit" & their value in that direction (Spoiler - it's good!).

I enjoyed Marvel & how it works. I get more out of LotR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Preference is subjective. If you like the LotR theme more than Marvel, that'd be a good indicator. I don't know much about the Marvel LCG.

A single core LotR: LCG set can actually play 1-4 (you just need to find a way to keep count of threat to 50 for players 3 and 4). Quests vary in difficulty and focus. Escape from Dol-guldur(?) is pretty much impossible to beat solo because of its set-up. Of course you can play it two handed solo.

A single core set plays fine. You're just limited on options. It's like the old story about Henry Ford saying you could have your Model T in any color you wanted as long as it was black. You can still drive to and from, it's just not as customized. The reason to have multiple core sets is to increase all the cards to the tournament max of three each. That's only an issue if you care about deck building.

IMHO, if you want the most bang for the least buck - pick up the two Hobbit expansions. That's a self contained set of six new quests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ancestral Hamster
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saca_Muela wrote:
I would like to try a LCG. Which do I pick Marvel Ledgendary, Net Runner or LotR? I think I gravitate towards marvel and LotR with theme, but I like the cooperative of LotR. Any thoughts on which you prefer?

Also if I jump into this do I have to be two core sets? I don't see it as necessary as net runner since its coop instead of vs.
I've missed some of the expansions and a lot are out of print but which ones are the best ones to get?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Edit ok so Marvel is coop too. What pros cons do you all see between the two?
Legendary is a co-op, but one that is "first among equals". For example, say we were fighting Dr. Doom. If he (the game system) completes the scheme, all players lose. That forces us to cooperate. However, only one player can be Legendary (the person who did the most to stop the villain and so the overall winner), so at some point players will stop cooperating and start sabotaging each other when they can. In that sense, Legendary, is not a pure co-op.

Also, in Legendary, you are not an single hero, but rather running a team of them. In some sense, one is more in the role of Nick Fury, as you draft who you need to stop the crisis. So if you like superhero teams, the play will give you some of that as you will "recruit" from a pool of five heroes to build your deck.

However, between Legendary and The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game, I pick LotR:LCG. Have played both, but only own LotR:LCG. It can be played solo or true co-op, and it is a better deck-building experience.

As for expansions. Shadows of Mirkwood is scheduled for reprinting, while the Khazad-dum/Moria one is going OOP, IIRC. (Please check FFG first ...) If you like Dwarves, you should probably pick up the Khazad-dum box. Alternately, the two Hobbit expansions have lots of Dwarves, but since I have not played them, I really can't say how good the sets are overall. Heirs of Numenor is a set I like, but the adventures are hard, and not really something one wants to begin with if you are just starting the game.

If you do go with LotR:LCG, a single core is good enough. Use the money you would have spent on the 2nd core set on a boxed expansion and a few adventure packs. You'll get more card variety and heroes, as well as more adventures, which should give you a better play experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
I would like to try a LCG. Which do I pick Marvel Ledgendary, Net Runner or LotR?

I am surprised no one mentioned this yet....but Legendary is not a LCG. Gameplay is much more like Thunderstone than it is any of the LCGs.

In terms of the LCGs you list, Netrunner is competitive (and very assymetrical). I have not played it, but the people I know that have played, love it.

As noted above, LotR is solo/co-op.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matter of taste as has been said above.
Netrunner is the most complex and needs a good opponent to play with (and he have to have his own cards and own decks) But all in all very good game. The best of the tree, but it demands a lot more than those two.
Lotr lcg is coop, so only one player has to have deck building experience, but it is a demanding game newer the less! Easy mode helps as do the second core set that makes the game a little bit more easier (more of those really good cards..) This allso seems to have the most active fan base, when considering all that fan made scenarios etc. Not in the level of Netrunner as a game, but still offer a lot to play with and good theme. Those Hobbit scenarios are really good!
Marvel, is more like Dominion. Not my style of game... Too easy and too little skill, but I have many friends who likes Dominion, so it is a matter of taste.

In short:
- Netrunner, if you are experienced deckbuilder and you have similar friend or friends
- Lotr, nice coop experience. It helps if one player can make good decks. Easy mode helps though, but reasonable good deck is still needed.
- Marvel. Maybe easiest to unexperienced players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Munn

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Several people have recommended picking up the base game plus the two Hobbit expansions as a good start, and I agree. The Dwarf trait is very powerful, and those two expansions contain a lot of Dwarf cards that can form the core of a good Dwarf deck. However, if you're putting together a Dwarf deck you're going to want Dain Ironfoot in your deck, and he's not found in either of the Hobbit expansions; he's found in the Return to Mirkwood expansion. (The lotrlcg.com database entry says he's in the "Shadows of Mirkwood" expansion, but that's the name of the entire six-expansion series. The specific expansion he's in is the Return to Mirkwood expansion. It's back in print, so you shouldn't have too much trouble picking up a copy.

If you eventually find yourself getting tired of playing Dwarf decks and want a change, the next expansion I suggest you pick up is The Steward's Fear. It contains five(!) player cards with a new trait, Outlands -- and those five player cards are all you need to create the core of a very powerful deck. There are other Outlands cards in other expansions (there's one in the Heirs of Númenor expansion, there's a VERY powerful one in the Drúadan Forest expansion...), but just the single Steward's Fear expansion will give you the core of your Outlands deck, which will work very well on its own.

So, the expansions I recommend if you want to try LotR, in the order in which you should buy them if your budget is limited such that you can't buy them all:

Core set (only one copy needed)
The Hobbit: Over Hill and Under Hill
The Hobbit: On the Doorstep
Return to Mirkwood
The Steward's Fear

If after playing those you decide that you love the LotR LCG and want all the expansions, start with the Heirs of Númenor and Khazad-dûm "big box" expansions; their quest cards are necessary for playing the quests of any of the "small box" expansions in the corresponding series. Then start picking up the "small box" expansions in any order you like: pick expansions from the current series if you want more cards with the Outlands and/or Gondor traits, pick expansions from the Khazad-dûm series if you want more Dwarf cards, or just pick up whatever expansions your FLGS has on hand. Up to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Field
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. If you want to try a few LCGs, ask your local shop if they can demo some. You can invest with more confidence once you've actually played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, if you are interested in trying something, try to find your local group or store and get some game time in, or even join us on OCTGN for some quests. We don't bite, but the Hill Troll does!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Parkinson
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BathTubNZ wrote:
Yes, if you are interested in trying something, try to find your local group or store and get some game time in, or even join us on OCTGN for some quests. We don't bite, but the Hill Troll does!

That's a nice offer but what is OCTGN?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Parkinson
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok LotR won! I like the idea of solo being an option.
Got the base game the two hobbit expansions and Khazad-dûm and stewards fear (as it was CSI deal of the day today)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saca_Muela wrote:
BathTubNZ wrote:

That's a nice offer but what is OCTGN?

OCTGN is a virtual table top software, it plays a lot of card games, all the FFG LCG's (Star Wars, Android: Netrunner,Call of Cthulu, A Game of Thrones, Warhammer Invasion, and Lord of the Rings), as well as Magic the Gathering, The Spoils, and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anatole
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was a good deal, nice way to start the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.