Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Artaterxes wrote:
What do you guys think I should do for my next game? (Apart from playing with more investigators!)

Play with more investigators (3 or 4 preferably). Oh wait...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is not really balanced at all for one investigator. If you want to try solo investigator again, I suggest searching for the "gate crack" variant.

In terms of your strategy, my experience has been that closing gates before you can seal them is counterproductive, unless you are about to hit that 8-gate limit, because doom tokens are only added when a new gate opens, not when you get a monster surge. Sealing gates is really the only way to keep gates under control without causing the doom track to fill up way too quickly. And sealing gates is much easier with more investigators. That is pretty much it.

Also, it is fairly safe to close low-frequency gates without sealing if you need to. At most (without a shuffle) you are risking 1 doom token, and the tradeoff is more clue tokens at their highest-frequency locations and one fewer monster each monster surge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to Tib's stats at

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AliZyklaTCWzcGF...

single investigators only win 38% of their games... and three quarters of those wins are in final combat.

Four investigators is not that hard to handle for one player... and you'll get to win an acceptable two thirds of your games.

(Perhaps more, since you have discovered gate frequency strategy, and this makes single board games very easy indeed. Dunwich fixes this problem nicely, though.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swan Bones
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Artaterxes please spoiler the frequencies of gate opening! For many new players part of the fun (and the game's theme) is discovering these frequencies through play rather than play the game as a bunch of statistics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing with 4 investigators yourself is still playing solo.

Playing with one is a closer recreation of many Lovecraft stories, but you will almost always be doomed. Give yourself a chance of survival by forming a team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Curtis
United States
Andrews
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do all my solo games with 3 investigators and still only have just under a 50% win ratio (granted, I may not be the best player... LOL).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
nickbolton wrote:
Playing with one is a closer recreation of many Lovecraft stories, but you will almost always be doomed.

Much like most Lovecraft stories..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.