Subject: More than just Arkham Horror 2.0 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Homo Ludens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This new game came out of the blue. Eldritch Horror looks to be more than just a re-hash of Arkham Horror. The game seems to be more focused on story telling, and the globe spanning gameplay appeals to me.

I'm not sure how much input Richard Launius has had in to this new game, but the promo video from FFG implies he was part of the design team.

2 - 4 Hours game length is on the upper end of the scale for regular play for my gaming group. Solo play, scaled difficulty, story focus and drop dead gorgeous components are ticking all the boxes for me

There is a question mark over replay value as it seems to be scenario driven, but i'm sure FFG have a whole line of expansions ready and waiting to empty my wallet...er sorry, that should be enhance the game My guess is that these will be much the same as Arkham Horror, some mini expansions and a few larger ones later on.

This is a definite buy for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eyal Itsik
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally agree. I just looove how each outer god / great old one has a deck of its own with different winning conditions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i'm getting a defenders of the realm / fortune and glory vibe,
pandemic / elder signs

Corey K and Richard L my 2 fav designers in 1 box,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For re-playability, I got the idea that each GOO had several "quest" cards, but only 3 were chosen for each game. After watching the video, there seemed to be a few things that were different and improvements on Arkham Horror, but then many things that seemed more of the same. I definitely like the shorter playing time and the more immersive aspects of Elder Gods in the game, but am watching this game with reservations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Townsend
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed immediately that on the back of each investigator sheet, it seems something story-related or interesting happens when your character gets seriously injured or driven insane. It seems as if another character must go pick them up from the hospital/asylum. If you look at 11:43 in the video, it shows the front and back of Normal Withers, the Astronomer, and on the right hand side of the back it lists (as well as I can read):

IN THE EVENT OF CRIPPLING INJURY OR DEATH:
Norman can barely move his head and points to his notes and suitcase. Gain all of his possessions. he begs you to use his telescope to record the current position of the stars. The work is slow and demanding, but you focus as best as you can to give him accurate results. (Test Will). If you pass, Norman's insight into the Ancient One prove accurate; retreat Doom by 1. If you fail, Norman can make no sense of the night sky. Whether you pass or not, discard his Investigator token.

IN THE EVENT OF (something sanity-related):
The doctor would like you to take a look at Norman's notes and belongings. Gain all of his possessions. They are trying to gain some insight into his catatonic state. You try to convince them to move Norman to a room with a view of the night sky. (Test Influence).

(the rest is mostly covered up, only scattered words are visible).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Empires wrote:
I noticed immediately that on the back of each investigator sheet, it seems something story-related or interesting happens when your character gets seriously injured or driven insane. It seems as if another character must go pick them up from the hospital/asylum. If you look at 11:43 in the video, it shows the front and back of Normal Withers, the Astronomer, and on the right hand side of the back it lists (as well as I can read):

IN THE EVENT OF CRIPPLING INJURY OR DEATH:
Norman can barely move his head and points to his notes and suitcase. Gain all of his possessions. he begs you to use his telescope to record the current position of the stars. The work is slow and demanding, but you focus as best as you can to give him accurate results. (Test Will). If you pass, Norman's insight into the Ancient One prove accurate; retreat Doom by 1. If you fail, Norman can make no sense of the night sky. Whether you pass or not, discard his Investigator token.

IN THE EVENT OF (something sanity-related):
The doctor would like you to take a look at Norman's notes and belongings. Gain all of his possessions. They are trying to gain some insight into his catatonic state. You try to convince them to move Norman to a room with a view of the night sky. (Test Influence).

(the rest is mostly covered up, only scattered words are visible).

Interesting. Although "In the event of... death" I don't think he would be able to point to his notes or beg someone to use a telescope while dead
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear Herbert West makes house calls... zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
This game has me thinking I should sell off Defenders of the realm and possibly Agents of SMERSH as it may trump them both. Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth G
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am quite interested to see more of this game once it gets closer to release. It really did come out of the blue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
This game has me thinking I should sell off Defenders of the realm and possibly Agents of SMERSH as it may trump them both. Any thoughts?

That may be a bit premature...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must admit that I may be missing something, but I don't see any relation to Smersh or Pandemic-type games. Everything that was said in the video describing gameplay could be apply to Arkham Horror just as well. You travel to different locations, then you pull an encounter card and partake in the story event that happens, then you do the Mythos phase.

It looks like they combines location decks akin to MEQs so there will be fewer decks but those shown read just like AH. This all looks great to me, I am just not seeing any connection to an Arabian Nights story game or Defenders of the Realm minion-expansion mechanics. With any luck, they have lessened the rule overload so the story comes through even better than it did in Arkham Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Coren wrote:
I must admit that I may be missing something, but I don't see any relation to Smersh or Pandemic-type games. Everything that was said in the video describing gameplay could be apply to Arkham Horror just as well. You travel to different locations, then you pull an encounter card and partake in the story event that happens, then you do the Mythos phase.

That's exactly how Agents of SMERSH works, except they call it a villain phase. Being that FFG s pushing the story driven elements the parallels are hard to miss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Milarky wrote:

Corey is a good designer, but he had some flops. The AI cards in Gears of War were utter crap. Let's hope he won't repeat such thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Vladimir17 wrote:
Milarky wrote:

Corey is a good designer, but he had some flops. The AI cards in Gears of War were utter crap. Let's hope he won't repeat such thing.

The game ranks in the top 200 - I think the majority disagree with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Vladimir17 wrote:
Milarky wrote:

Err they are the best AI cards in boardgaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Vladimir17 wrote:
Milarky wrote:

What do you think was wrong with them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.