BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Dominion or Sentinels of the Multiverse? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brent Linkletter
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Which one would you prefer? My wife and I are looking for a game to play with another couple, and also with our 3 oldest girls, ages 12, 10, and 7. I like that dominion is quick and replayable. Can it play 5? I also like the idea of Sentinels. Everyone likes 7 Wonders. Opinions?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flex Dolphynn
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sentinels of the Multiverse gets my vote. I enjoy it much more than Dominion. It is cooperative and allows you to feel a bit more like an individual hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toms Leikums
Latvia
Jelgava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Dominion but I wouldn't play it with 5. Even 4 is a bit of a stretch as it slows down the game too much and make boring Big Money strategies much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boss Beau Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Sentinels of the Multiverse as well as all the expansions minus the promos. I think it is a great game, but unless your wife and kids are into games and don't mind complexity, I probably would opt for another game. The game has a lot of interactions between cards which can generate a good amount of overhead to keep track of. As much as I like the game, I don't feel it is well suited for casual play; there is too much to absorb and pickup for new players, so unless you play with the same people often, I wouldn't bother.

Dominion is what comes to many people's minds when they think of a deck building game. It is very popular and has a ton of expansions. While I don't have this game, it might go over better with your wife and kids if they are only casual gamers. The rules and interactions are going to be easier for them to pick up. The only possible drawback is that I've seen many mention that the game feels like multiplayer solitaire. This game would probably go pretty well for playing with another couple as you could still carry on a conversation while playing.

While you didn't mention it, I think Cosmic Encounter would probably be the best pick if you want a whole lot of interaction between your family members. I don't have this one or Dominion, but from what I've seen and read it looks like it can be a blast to play. You might need/want to pick up some expansions though. I'm not sure how it would go over with another couple.

Tales of the Arabian Nights can make for a fun experience. It isn't really a game though, more of an interactive choose your path adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mb
I own both Dominion and Sentinels, and with Sentinels I prefer to play the game solo instead of with a group. One game that I would recommend instead of either one if you're looking for interaction is Guildhall. Every person I've played this with loves the game and ends up buying a copy. If you are interested in Guildhall, get the original and not the stand-alone expansion Job Faire. While I like both, the complexity level of Job Faire is higher and is best played after you have an understanding of the original game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McClung
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion, hands down. I play with 5/6 players most of the time. It can be a little long when people are not paying attention, but that is any game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Explosive 6
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
May want to watch this video review of Sentinals that SUSD put up yesterday:

http://susd.pretend-money.com/blog/post/review-sentinels-mul...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bueschel
United States
Huntley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eastwoodk wrote:
I own both Dominion and Sentinels, and with Sentinels I prefer to play the game solo instead of with a group. One game that I would recommend instead of either one if you're looking for interaction is Guildhall. Every person I've played this with loves the game and ends up buying a copy. If you are interested in Guildhall, get the original and not the stand-alone expansion Job Faire. While I like both, the complexity level of Job Faire is higher and is best played after you have an understanding of the original game.

Our group enjoys Sentinals we find Dominion a bit too bland. I am going to agree with Eastwood and say that Guildhall is a great game with some take that (not too much) gameplay. We have had a blast playing it. I guess it is more set collection than deck building but so is 7 Wonders. So I guess I to would recommend Guildhall. Unfortunately it does not play 5. 5 player games are hard to find with a good balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too much overhead with Sentinels. Dominion would be my choice. But....Legendary kind of uses Dominion's mechanic. Legendary is another superhero co-op. Legendary has more set up than Sentinels. But...it's more fun while you are playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Witte
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both games, playing Sentinels two or three times a week, and hardly ever playing Dominion. But I would recommend Dominion. It's poor on theme, but big on decisions. Sentinels is great on theme, but there are fewer decisions.

Do you intend to include your 7-year-old? Is she a gamer? Both games may be too much for her if she's not used to playing advanced games, but if she's had an introduction she'll get the hang of it. My 9-year-old daughter ALWAYS beats me in Dominion. I haven't won since last September, which is one of the reasons we don't play it much. I don't mind losing, but the outcome is too predictable.

I play Sentinels more frequently because I can do it solo and it's a new game. I feel that after a while I'll get Dominion into the rotation more often.

If you buy Dominion, you should start with Intrigue (superior to the base game and it plays stand-alone). If you want to expand, I recommend Seaside and Prosperity. Whenever we play, we always include these two expansions, which introduce fun elements and are the highest rated. We also have the base game, which has some good cards, but Intrigue is better, ranked higher and played more often.

If you buy Sentinels, the base set has a lot of cool characters. I have the three expansions and am playing through them as well. Great theme and I love the artwork. But with a little experimentation, it's easier to get the effective combinations than in Dominion. Conversely, if you pick the wrong cards in Dominion you may run out of time before the Province or Colony (in Prosperity) are gone.

They are both good games and worth considering. Dominion is a classic. I just think I will get bored with Sentinels faster, but I envision playing both for many years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your children (may) become bored with Dominion quickly, as it is really an exercise in Action->buy->repeat. There's nothing wrong with that. It is a game of refining your deck, and planning for early/middle/late game, but with the ages you mentioned you may not find your children investing in that sort of long-term planning, especially with a dead theme.

With Sentinels they are playing a super hero game(awesome!) they gettheir own deck as well(helping them feel a bit more independent) You may need to help them, especially the younger ones, early on with their choices, but if they find a favorite character they will have the opportunity to learn their deck and apply it to the game(rather than an ever changing deck/bank from Dominion). The fact that Sentinels is co-op means you can help them as well without compromising the integrity of the game(Yes you can help people in competitive games, but especially when it's a child you run into a two tiered frustration system. A)Frustrated learning the game, then as they learn the game b)Frustrated again as the parent stops helping and starts playing 'for real' which means stuff they learned during the 'easy mode' doesn't work(as well).

I think both games would teach your kids different things, if you think they're ready for it feel free to teach them Dominion. If you're keen on a deck builder you may want to look into Puzzle Strike (Third Edition) The cute art/components may go a long way toward retaining interest.

Explosive6 wrote:
May want to watch this video review of Sentinals that SUSD put up yesterday:

http://susd.pretend-money.com/blog/post/review-sentinels-mul...

If you're going to watch this one, I'd suggest also watching several others for Sentinels as well in order to put the opinions of these gentlemen into perspective
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Linkletter
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
I actually have Cosmic Encounter and tried it with our friends for the first time the other day. They said they would play it again, but I don't think it was their favorite. My family has played it a few times and it went ok, but of all our games they prefer 7 wonders. My games are:

Small world
The Adventurers
King of Tokyo
Ticket to Ride
Kingsburg
Cosmic Encounter
7 Wonders
Resistance Avalon
Defenders of the Realm

A couple more but I can't remember them at the moment

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Linkletter
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Do you play Dominion the same with 5? Game just ends sooner? Or do you need more victory point cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Linkletter
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
I considered other games with more theme, like thunderstone, but figured Dominion would get played much more often because of its quick play time (that's why we play more 7 wonders than all of our other games combined), and catchy combos, which I think my wife would enjoy.

I've watched some vids on Sentinels, but not sure if I've seen the one posted. Have to check. Looks fun, and I could help kids. Are there very few decisions, and victory mainly determined by cards that come up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BrentLink wrote:
I considered other games with more theme, like thunderstone, but figured Dominion would get played much more often because of its quick play time (that's why we play more 7 wonders than all of our other games combined), and catchy combos, which I think my wife would enjoy.

I've watched some vids on Sentinels, but not sure if I've seen the one posted. Have to check. Looks fun, and I could help kids. Are there very few decisions, and victory mainly determined by cards that come up?

There are a good number of decisions, but they are based mostly on information available on the table rather than having to plot out a long chain of effect multiple turns ahead. This makes it much more 'accessible' than having to try to judge the proper moment to 'shift gears' in Dominion from engine building to VP aquisition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy both games, but I will say that Dominion is the superior game, hands down.

BrentLink wrote:
Do you play Dominion the same with 5? Game just ends sooner? Or do you need more victory point cards?

There are more Province and Curse cards with 5, as well as one of the game end conditions is to play to 4 empty piles instead of 3. You need both Dominion and Dominion: Intrigue to play with 5 though, or either of the above and a copy of Dominion: Base Cards (although the card art on the basic cards won't match if you go the latter route).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Linkletter
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
I don't imagine that we will be great at Dominion and build the perfect deck, and I'm not sure if the kids will pick up on all the strategy. That's kind of how it is in 7 Wonders. Even though I win most of the time, they still enjoy playing and have good games once in a while. Nice to know that I'll need 2 games to handle 5 players. This might sway me towards sentinels. I'd still like to get this sometime to play with wife and another couple.

Sentinels seems to be the better fit for the kids. If I can manage all of the different card effects, they should have fun even if they don't understand them all. I wonder how this one would go over with our friends? Our wives would probably prefer Dominion, though they are pretty good sports and enjoy most any game.

Thanks everyone for all of the replies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BrentLink wrote:
I don't imagine that we will be great at Dominion and build the perfect deck, and I'm not sure if the kids will pick up on all the strategy. That's kind of how it is in 7 Wonders. Even though I win most of the time, they still enjoy playing and have good games once in a while. Nice to know that I'll need 2 games to handle 5 players. This might sway me towards sentinels. I'd still like to get this sometime to play with wife and another couple.

Sentinels seems to be the better fit for the kids. If I can manage all of the different card effects, they should have fun even if they don't understand them all. I wonder how this one would go over with our friends? Our wives would probably prefer Dominion, though they are pretty good sports and enjoy most any game.

Thanks everyone for all of the replies.

If your friends like super heroes, they'll love the game Sentinels is at its easiest with 5, which will give some buffer room for the younglings as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Sentinels of the Multiverse is a fun game, bit a game that runs entirely too long for what it is. After a while it just feels like running loops around a track until one person wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would easily pick Dominion, but the best way to play 5 with Dominion is to have 3 players at 1 table and 2 at the other playing different Kingdom Card sets and games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
This the the apples-and-oranges-iest recommendation question I've heard in a while. They're completely different games and the only real similarity they bear one another is that each player has a deck of cards. It's not like comparing Dominion and Thunderstone, or Ravenloft and Mice and Mystics where they're in the same genre of game. It's a situation where you should think about what you're looking for, and then the answer will be obvious because there's so little overlap.

If you want a competitive deckbuilding game that's super accessible but light on theme and tactical decision making, instead favoring devising an optimal strategy and following through in it, get Dominion.

If you want a card game with best-in-class theme, a strong focus on coordination and cooperative play, but light on long-term strategic planning, favoring savvy tactics, get Sentinels.

Personally, Sentinels is my #1 favorite game right now. I just can't rightly see comparing these two games directly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.