Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any plans of using the Duel og Eagles rules to cover other battles of the Franco-Prussian war or perhaps other wars of the 1848-1880 period?

I would love to see the battles of the Schleswig-Holstein war of 1848-1850.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cutthroat Cardboard (Barry)
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are clearly some other wars in this period that could be addressed using a very similar rules set but I'd quite like to see the system, suitably altered, being adapted for some Napoleonic battles. I've always loved the Franco Prussian War but i suspect that for many this marginalizes the appeal of the game. A move to the Napoleonic period might give the system the mass appeal that it deserves and it could become the equivalent of what the World at War/Nations at War systems have become for modern and WW2. That is accessible system with a relatively modest rule sets and strong theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Brian!
There are a number of things in the works. My next game in this series for White Dog Games will probably be Solferino. I do have a design on Spicheren about 80% done, but I'm still not sure where I'm going to go with it. It was originally intended for Paper Wars, but I'm thinking of holding it back for a dual-battle package with Froeschwiller.
The big news for the DoE system is that GMT is interested doing a deluxe version of the game that would include both Mars-La-Tour and Gravelotte-St. Privat along with a connecting mini-campaign scenario. The tentative title is The Jaws of Victory: Metz 1870 and would have one 22" x 34" map of the entire area west of Metz. I'm very excited about this project and will advise as it progresses. It will be the basic DoE system, spiced up with some more details (like a separate morale rating for each unit and so on).
I also plan to do Koniggratz, Custoza, Magenta, Inkerman and other battles from this era.
Thanks!
Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the compliments and suggestion, Barry! One of the reasons GMT is interested in the game is because they don't have anything in their catalog currently covering this period except for Risorgimento. They don't have any FPW games at all. So it fills a niche for them.
As far as doing Napoleonics with the DoE system, I would be open to that idea. I had thousands of Napoleonics miniatures back in the day and it was my primary field of interest. So that is something I would definitely consider - I'll talk to Mike Kennedy at White Dog Games about something like that.
Thanks again!
Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds awesome!!

Would you be open to other designers doing battles in the system further down the road....?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Kahrl
United States
Unionville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[WANT] Fabulous news!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please keep the focus of the system on the late half of the 19th century.
This is a very undergamed period - if you want mass appeal then do a battle from the American Civil war to show people what the system can do, and then give us all those battles in Europe that we havent gamed before :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Cristina!
And yes, Brian - I'm open to other designers doing something with the system if they'd like to take a shot at it. I'd have no problem with that. As far as the late 19th century battles, that's my primary goal - try to get American gamers to appreciate this period of history. These battles were so much more competitive and brutal than most gamers think. And they are beautiful armies - essentially Napoleonic-clad soldiers fighting with ACW deadliness.
Herm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HORST324 wrote:

The big news for the DoE system is that GMT is interested doing a deluxe version of the game that would include both Mars-La-Tour and Gravelotte-St. Privat along with a connecting mini-campaign scenario. The tentative title is The Jaws of Victory: Metz 1870 and would have one 22" x 34" map of the entire area west of Metz. I'm very excited about this project and will advise as it progresses. It will be the basic DoE system, spiced up with some more details (like a separate morale rating for each unit and so on).
I also plan to do Koniggratz, Custoza, Magenta, Inkerman and other battles from this era.
Thanks!
Hermann

Hermann, it would be really nice to see this come to pass as the system deserves some attention as does the FP War so this would be a great result.

I got a game in yesterday with a first time player who's into the period and it was a good time. The modeling of the battle really shines through and the chits emphasise the theme in a way that draws you into the action.

I think one of the nice aspects is the relatively light rules load for quite a big game. It doesn't take long for players to stop referring to the rule book but equally doesn't feel like a light game.

I'll look forward to seeing if you ever manage to port it to an other period
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brian asklev aursen wrote:
Please keep the focus of the system on the late half of the 19th century.
This is a very undergamed period - if you want mass appeal then do a battle from the American Civil war to show people what the system can do, and then give us all those battles in Europe that we havent gamed before

I have a lot of sympathy for this point of view but I still think it would be really interesting to see some Napoleonic battles modeled this way
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Barry - I really appreciate the support!
Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.