10 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Suggestions about playing AH (solo) as a campaign? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cargo Cultist
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I was thinking of making a list of all investigators and AOs and starting from the game I've just played keep track of what AOs are banished and what investigators are retired or devoured, and not use them again during this "campaign", just to have a sense of progression and see whether I run first out of investigators or of AOs.

Do you have any suggestions and have you done anything similar?

For example, if an investigator ends the game with a different value of max stamina and sanity, would you leave the new one then next time you play him? And same thing for injuries/madness cards? Or refresh him?
I pick investigators randomly so if I were to make things harder with this rule I would have to stick with whoever I picked until he/she met the conditions for retirement or was devoured.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't been playing that long yet, so I can't answer that question with any knowledge of win chances and so on.
But I really like the idea!

If I would do this, I would leave every investigator as-is inbetween games (except of course a re-fill of stamina/sanity). Otherwise I think you'll lose the 'continuing story' feel that you're after.
So, yeah, a lost (or gained) maximum would be permanent as would madness/injury.

To counterbalance, you should also keep all items, money etc. Maybe even clues. That way, you might start the game 'scarred', but at the same time at an advantage because you don't need to buy that shotgun.

Please keep a session report on this, I'd love to know how this goes.

Game on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds interesting to say the least. If I were doing it I would probably implement the things Teeka mentioned. Keep us updated on how it goes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another quick idea: inbetween games, any investigator with at least one injury/madness can retire and give his items (but not money) to his successor?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I came up with this a couple years back. Wasn't able to implement it (the group didn't get together as often as we'd liked) but it seemed like a good way of managing things between adventures.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/674931/a-campaign-of-horror
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cargo Cultist
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks all for the interesting ideas!

Maybe keeping all items and spells etc. could unbalance things a bit - maybe I could let investigators carry over ONE item extra of the ones they have at the end of a game every time they are randomly picked to be in a game. That way if a guy keeps getting picked and never gets devoured he starts having a more interesting assortment of equipment and spells, as befits a more senior investigator.

As for the expansions rotation, I do that to an extent. I keep these elements in each game I play:

- LatT special gates (I like them)
- Madness, Injury cards
- The two location encounter cards for Arkham Asylum that allow to cure madness from DH, even when I am not using the DH board
- Same as above for the hospital and injury.
- Personal stories and relationship cards.

Otherwise, I play with one big expansion and one small expansion at a time and rotate them every now and then.

Maybe I'll start entering results in a google spreadsheet so if someone is as nerdy as I am and wants to see how it goes I can share it

Some other ideas:

Once an investigator has succeeded or failed his personal story, if you randomly pick him for a later game the result applies from the start, without having to run through the personal story again.

Relationships between two investigators carry over to other games in case you pick both investigators again.

Investigators who play in a game that ends in a defeat are considered devoured.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds really cool, the idea of going through the investigators and GOO and see which empties first - brilliant

Not sure my group can get together on this, we're already busy with our Descent campaign and the 4-5 unplayed games I got lying around - but maybe I'll give this a go in solo mode..

I just hope the first GOO we meet is not Cthulu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cargo Cultist
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Well, this is going SO BAD for the investigators, despite two out of three victories in the first three games!

10 devoured, 2 retired, and only two Ancient Ones banished so far:

AH Campaign
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy crap. Did you have tons of bad luck, or...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cargo Cultist
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
It's just that the game is much more brutal with several expansions... I lost a couple of fully healthy and decked investigators in other worlds due to unlucky cards resulting in 'devoured' - and Gathanothoa snacked on a guy or two despite my best attempts at not picking more than one clue at a time.

I might have been more cautious though on a couple of occasions, I think I'll be less gung-ho in future or I risk running out of people too quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.