Duarte Dias
Portugal
Paços de Ferreira
Paços de Ferreira
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone, my gf has a nephew so it's kinda mine too which in my opinion is too much addicted to videogames like Wii, PS Portable and Nintendo DS, he don't really know how to play with other persons since he preferes to play video games or at mosta play football with his little brother.

Since his birthday is on September i am wondering if there are any game that could be a good pick to make he play with other persons (adults - us)

I am quite able to take a look to any suggestions so feel free to bring them in

PS: Games that take no more than 40 minutes should be a must since the time is not that much

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
prism4 wrote:
Hi everyone, my gf has a nephew so it's kinda mine too which in my opinion is too much addicted to videogames like Wii, PS Portable and Nintendo DS, he don't really know how to play with other persons since he preferes to play video games or at mosta play football with his little brother.

Since his birthday is on September i am wondering if there are any game that could be a good pick to make he play with other persons (adults - us)

I am quite able to take a look to any suggestions so feel free to bring them in

PS: Games that take no more than 40 minutes should be a must since the time is not that much

Thanks!

I would ask first what kind of videogames does he enjoy. Finding a good interesting theme or "style" should help overcome the cardboard barrier.
Titles have no meaning to me (I do not play vg anymore..) but maybe could help.

Also the number of players? I'm guessing 2-5? Should be something even the little brother could play? (That would male everyrhing harder )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte Dias
Portugal
Paços de Ferreira
Paços de Ferreira
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2-5 Players is what i am looking for
His little brother has 4 yo but can be or not included at the game since he is ok playing outdoors

He likes videogames related to football and any kinda of games which involve direct competition even if he don't accept to lose from what i can see but i think that is a goodpoint he start to understand that he can't win every time

FIFA, Wii Sports, Mario, Skill Games maybe (since he play tons of Wii)

Other point is that the game can't be too expensive (maximun 20 €) since we are planing to give it as a complement

Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ignoring video game taste but paying attention to age, price, and fun factor, I might recommend Forbidden Island or Forbidden Desert. My son loved em at a 8 and still does at 9. They are both easy to learn, challenging, and tense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pug Lord
msg tools
My six year old son adores Flash Point. You play as firefighters trying to rescue victims from a burning building before it collapses. It's a cooperative game too so adults can help with any complicated issues (not that there are many really) and you all win or lose as a team which helps avoid any tantrums if we lose! It's super fun, dramatic, exciting, and it helps develop problem solving skills and strategic thinking. I really can't recommend it highly enough.

My son's other favourite game is probably Memoir '44, which is a competitive battle game set in the Second World War. It's another excellent game which my son picked up very quickly and is able to win at (with the occasional bit of subtle help). It's very thematic and surprisingly tactical for a game playable by young kids. Only down side with it is that it's a little pricey (but it is worth it - the components are fantastic and the game is great).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pug Lord
msg tools
I would also second the suggestion of Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert. My son enjoys those very much too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte Dias
Portugal
Paços de Ferreira
Paços de Ferreira
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I Have Forbidden Island but haven't played it yet only saw videos and looking at the game i would say that for now looks a bit too much for him even being quite simple, especially because everyone tasks.

Will give it a try but i was wondering if something like Riff Raff or kinda (less expensive) but will take FI in count thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Castle Panic, maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte Dias
Portugal
Paços de Ferreira
Paços de Ferreira
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Co-op i will go with Forbidden Island since i already have it (opened but not played yet) so will probably not buy another Co-op before play FI some times and because i have Hanabi too.

I saw Castle Panic at TableTop and i enjoyed it however since it is more Fantasy only I and my GF will probably enjoy it unfortunately XD

Thanks for the suggestion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn is boufalaxx
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
Subscribe to Smashing Plastic on YouTube
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Martian Fluxx for my nephew and that started him off on gaming... Wasn't long before he was looking for more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my kids like King of Tokyo and forbidden island.

Edit: the also like Escape: The Curse of the Temple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeke Taylor
msg tools
I started my daughters gaming at age 4-5, so I still remember what worked for them.

My first choice for a non-gaming kid would be Gulo Gulo.

A game lasts for 25-30 minutes. It is a tactile game - the kid gets to pick something up. It actually gives kids an advantage over adults(smaller fingers actually work better at picking the wooden egg pieces out of the bowl). The rules are simple, yet there are still a couple of decisions to make.

My oldest daughter is 14 now. Sadly, our gaming sessions are rare these days, but I can still always rope her into a quick game of Gulo Gulo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte Dias
Portugal
Paços de Ferreira
Paços de Ferreira
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't Gulo Gulo too expensive? xD at amazon is more than 100 $ xD

Martian Fluxx is language dependent or am i wrong?

Thanks for the suggestions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
Helllow Bayyybee
mbmbmbmbmb
I would +1 for Memoir '44, I played this with my lad when he was about 7.

PitchCar is good fun, as is HeroQuest.

Carcassonne is easy to learn and also Mr. Jack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sell
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
StrikerZ Card Game is a possibility if you are looking for a direct interaction. Not a ton of game to it but it might serve as an introduction.
Soccer Tactics World is a game I picked up to play with my kids. You can set the time limit for what ever you like.
Formula Motor Racing Nice and straight forward race game allows for minor tactics, and decent interaction.
Checkers can also be considered. It is a simple game to play and to bring it to different places.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer is King of Tokyo. Bright colors, fun theme and art, easy to play for both the kid and non gamer adults and not too long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeke Taylor
msg tools
Sorry - didn't realize Gulo Gulo was out of print.

It is worth tracking down, but I wouldn't pay $100 for it.

My next choice would be The Adventurers: The Temple of Chac.

I've played it with 7 year-old kids. Collapsing plastic walls, fire pits, a plastic rolling boulder, plastic adventurers, short play time. Any boy who hates this game isn't worth salvaging.

Just let everyone know up front that there's a fair chance that everyone is going to die, and allow yourself to get crushed early in the first game while laughing about it. Games are short - you can play for real the second time.

You do get to come back to life if you die early, BTW.

I'd also +1 for Memoir '44 - my brother played it a lot with his son, starting about age 7 or 8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eva
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DigitalMan wrote:
Castle Panic, maybe?

+1
My son loves it. Now he´s eight years old and loves to play with the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Forbidden Island is good as a second step up

+1 King of Tokyo, I played just a couple of times but sounds good

Another quick and cheap game is Farmageddon
20-30 mins, 2-4 players
You have to plant and harvest your crops to score points. In a 4 player game there are 3 planting fields. devil
You have to use the action cards to help you or hinder the opponents (or steal their crops). All in good fun.
There is some (English) text, but I translated it in Italian to present it to my little cousins, and it is not so much work. An evening or two maybe.

Or Fairy Tale.
I find it best with less players but can play up to 5.
Simple drafting game.
Language independent (icons).
Z-Man is preparing a redesign/reprint (New Game Round-up: Conquering Desktopia, Learning Ascension & Reworking Fairy Tale) but I don't know when that would come out (not for september I think )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Barbie
msg tools
mbmb
You've gotten a lot of great suggestions and I would +1 pretty much all of them. I would also like to throw in Ghost Blitz. I swear it has made my kid smarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Lopez
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quicksand
Guillotine, if the "theme" is ok.
Ricochet Robots
Alhambra
King of Tokyo
...have all worked well with my kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan B.
United States
Shelby Township
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SPBTooL wrote:
The answer is King of Tokyo. Bright colors, fun theme and art, easy to play for both the kid and non gamer adults and not too long.

It really is. This game has worked for me with my nephews and nieces who range from age 5-15.

Another possibility is to "test" a few of your games with him. Cartagena and Survive could possibly work too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MeepleofaMan
United States
Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dannydeuce wrote:
SPBTooL wrote:

It really is. This game has worked for me with my nephews and nieces who range from age 5-15.

Another possibility is to "test" a few of your games with him. Cartagena and Survive could possibly work too!

I posted a similar question back in March for my 14 yo nephew (big into video games). I went with the suggestions for King of Toyko and he really liked it. We played 2 games the first night and he brings it with him to all family gatherings ever since.
We have since picked up the game for ourselves and it's a hit with my 7 yo son who doesn't normally want to play board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trev
Australia
St Kilda
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do a games investigation for 7 year olds at my sons' school. Often the player numbers are 6-7 players so that limits the choice of games.

At school For Sale and King of Tokyo are the games that always get requested. Hidden identity games such as Are You the Traitor? are also popular.

At home with smaller player numbers Love Letter is massive. At first the boys were not impressed by the theme but once they played it they can't get enough. I am on my second set of premium sleeves for this game. The first set literally fell apart from over use.

Other games enjoyed by my boys are Puzzle Strike (Third Edition), Smash Up, Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game and Mice and Mystics, dexterity games like PitchCar and Rhino Hero and hidden identity games like Samurai Sword. On occasion we play Flash Point: Fire Rescue and Forbidden Island.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte Dias
Portugal
Paços de Ferreira
Paços de Ferreira
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions, maybe i am a bit pessimist or due to lack of my knowlodge about boardgames since i play only a few ones and just recently become more interested (during last half year) but since he will do 7 yo at September i think some of the games can be a bit complicated for me to make him understand xD

However i will take a look at all the sugestions and thanks for all of them

Feel free to keep them coming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.