Subject: Steelhorns and gaining allies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Finkle
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering if the character Steelhorns is able to acquire allies through events like "Defiance in the Face of Darkness" and "In Need of Heroes" which both allow characters to take cards from a market stack for free during the market step. I guess my question is, does taking an ally from a market stack without paying count as hiring it in regards to Steelhorn's restriction on hiring allies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Steelhorns may not have allies. If he draws one as a free Market card, he's out of luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Finkle
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Steelhorns can have allies if he gains them outside of a market step. His restriction reads, "You may not hire allies during your market step". I think he is able to gain them as a challenge reward or take them from another player by winning a PvP combat. My question above was whether or not gaining a free market ally is considered hiring it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike tauman

New Jersey
msg tools
Without having the cards and rules in front of me, if Steelhorns is not allowed to hire allies DURING A MARKET STEP then I would say In Need of Heroes would not help Steelhorns, since I believe that event takes place during a market step in Tamalir. Getting the card for free to me is akin to hiring the ally for a cost of 0, and since Steelhorns cannot hire allies during a market step, he is out of luck.

There is another even where you fight a knight and if you win he joins you as an ally. That is during the adventure step, and I suspect you would be able to have that card as an ally.

There are also challenges that have rewards where you draw market cards and keep them depending on the cost. Many of these are items or weapons/armor only but I think there was 1 challenge where the total cost was under 10g you keep them all (but you cannot go over 10g total) and I think under that scenario, Steelhorns would gain an ally since he is getting the card during the Adventure step, not the Market step.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Finkle
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply. I guess it makes sense that Steelhorns can not gain allies in any way during a market step.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.