Subject: Alternate method for event deck bottom draw rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Watkins
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
If your group. like mine, finds drawing off the bottom of the event deck a real pain then you can use the following method.

Because the event deck contains exactly twice as many Hunter events as Dracula events, every time you draw you have a 1 in 3 chance of getting a Dracula card (this will vary due to cards being drawn and removed but ultimatly will stay very near these odds). This allows for the use of the following alternative.

Seperate the event deck into two stacks - one for the Dracula events and one for the hunter events - still use one discard pile however. Anytime a player is to draw from the "event deck" roll a die. On a roll of 1-2 draw from the Dracula stack (and give to Dracula if appropriate) on a roll of 4-6 draw from the hunter stack (and give to the hunter player if appropriate).

When EITHER pile runs out seperate the discard pile, reshuffle each deck and place into two seperate stacks again.

In general we always play roll before drawing even for actions like a matured or non-matured Desicrated Ground where you only need one type of card. It's important because in some case you get to see the cards before discarding and also to make sure there are always the correct number of discards for events like Suprising Return.

The one down side to this system is that you may not get through every event card before reshuffling the event decks. So in theory some event cards may never be drawn. Keep in mind though that some actions cause event cards to be discarded without playing them anyway thereby causing the same basic effect.

Ultimately I hope to get some kind of dealing shoe that covers the top of the cards but allows you to draw away. Until then I'll probably be using this method unless someone else has an elegant way to keep a single deck that I don't need to fiddle with a bunch to keep the next cards identity a secret.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mustafa Ünlü
United States
Takoma Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This would only work if you used two different sets of easy to manipulate (i.e smallish) markers (say red and blue stones, or black and white chits, whatever you have handy) in exactly the same numbers as Hunter and Dracula cards.

You could pull these from a bag or cup and then draw from the decks according to the type of chits drawn, thus keeping the math correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cuppa Jack
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
I truly hope it is only a matter of time before Helen (hholzgrafe) uploads a tuckbox for the event deck that will allow for blind-draws.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watkins
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
Quote:
you've created a situation that can result in NO cards for one of the two sides

Can you pleaee explain how this is possible? Since we reshuffle as soon as one of the piles is empty how can one side run out?

Aside from a very slight shift in odds of the card type draw this is almost exactly the same as drawing from a single deck. The only difference is you rely on a die roll versus the ratio of Dracula vs Hunter cards in the deck to determine which to get.

The odds of going anywhere past a 30% low or 36% high draw at any point for Dracula with the standard method is really slight (more towards begining of deck). And once you have gone through the whole deck it will always be 1 in 3 or 33.3% for dracula.

Am I missing something else??

Thanks

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
VT: VERMONT
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The implication is that through a freakish series of rolls, one could roll 3's and 4's (etc.) for the entire game and thus never draw a card from the Dracula pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watkins
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
Ah I see. Thanks!

Of course this is possible with a single deck as well assuming you don't draw past 50 cards in the course of a game. But of course you are all right in that my method makes it possible even when drawing through the enitre "deck" one or even more times. And it does seem that most game you will likely go through or nearly through the whole deck.

Fortunately in the 3 or so games we played in this way we've noticed no real diffence and had 2 hunter wins and 1 Dracula win. But I can see where the math could possibly cause a problem.

Of course a somewhat skewed amount of Dracula events or Hunter events can make for a nice varient

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
Delgaddo wrote:
If your group. like mine, finds drawing off the bottom of the event deck a real pain then you can use the following method.

*-snip-*

or... you can simply do what we have done for twenty years with the old version of the game, lean the deck against the game board. You won't have any problems picking up the deck and drawing off the bottom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dougadamsau wrote:
or... you can simply do what we have done for twenty years with the old version of the game, lean the deck against the game board. You won't have any problems picking up the deck and drawing off the bottom.

Yeah, I don't understand the problem being solved here. Is it annoying to pick up the deck? I think the unveiling is kind of dramatic and fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So....

Instead of drawing off a deck, off the bottom, i now must roll a die every time I draw?

And in addition, you have increased the randomness, and made it so the deck cna be reshuffled before all the cards are drawn?

Wtf?

Lets say I draw 2/3 of the cards, and have drawn evey dracula card (so I have drawn half drac/half hunter). The hunters really need for the next 1/3 to be entirely for them, because so far it has been completely unfair.

But no, you are going to shuffle...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watkins
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
It's a moot issue now as I made up a box/sleeve that holds the Event deck and only shows about a 1/4 inch off the end of each card. So we can draw off the top no problem. The feedback here convinced me it was important to keep with the original intent of the game. Thanks all.

Yes our group hated drawing off the bottom so we use the workaround. None of the concerns mentioned here arose but yes there is an extremely small chance they could. It worked for us and we had no problem using it. It added some randomness (something we were not overly against) but all in all it didn't seem to break the game. In retrospect I probaly should have started this thread in variants.

I'm sure you can come up with a few dozen extremely unlikely scenarios how this variant could break the game but no need as we aren't using the method anymore. Yes I know there is just over a 1 in a million chance to draw 25 Dracula cards in 50 draws and the Hunters should then get 50 cards in a row, but really if that happens the game is probably pretty much over already anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaspar Pujol
Spain
Barcelona
Catalunya
flag msg tools
badge
Maze of Galious forever!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you don't want to pick from the bottom, just put a blank card or piece of cardstock(a turn summary would work too) at the top of the stack. Then, you just have to take the second card, wihtout looking the third's back. It's not that difficult.

You also could simply CUT the deck wherever you want and take the first card left on the board's half deck. In this way, you'd see the next card's back, buy as you return your deck's half over it, there's no problem.

A box or sleeve would also work, as stated before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ruvion .
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea we've always used boxes...it works wonders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi ,

I noticed that someone was hoping I have made a deck draw box for Event Cards for Fury of Dracula. In fact, I have, It's just that I can't get it uploaded to BGG right now due to the file server problems.

If any of you are desperate for a copy of it before BGG can get it properly uploaded to the files section you can contact me directly with your non-bgg email address and I can send you a copy as an attachment.

-Helen

PS I also have some interesting stuff for Railroad Tycoon (modular score track and money hider wallets (actually done by my husband)) waiting to be uploaded to the servers as well. I can send those along to anyone as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.