United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trailer Park Boys Board Game Review

Summary of the game

“Trailer Park Boys Board Game” is an adventure game for 2-6 players. The average play time is between 1 to 2 hours. It is an easy game to learn and also to teach new players. On the box, it is indicated that the game is recommended for ages 18 and up. Just like the show, there is some very adult material, themes and language present. Some of the mechanics involved in the game are roll and move, dice rolling and variable player powers.

Components

Game Box

The Board

I love adventure building games that unfold to tell a story. This is why some of my favorite games are Betrayal at House on the Hill (my #1 favorite game), Talisman, Mansions of Madness, Descent and D&D. I’m also a sucker for games with cool minis, like Heroscape or Heroquest.

Some of the Miniatures Included

Julian, Ricky and Bubbles

Lahey, Randy and Cory and Trevor

Ray and Phil Collins

I’ve been a huge fan of Trailer Park Boys (which I usually just abbreviate as “TPB”) for many years now. So when I saw that there was a TPB game being released, I was very excited.
*Full disclosure, I sent a note to the company that released the game, High Roller Games, stating how much I love the show and offered to review the game if they would send me a copy. They were kind enough to do so.

A brief intro to the Trailer Park Boys story…

From Wikipedia- “Trailer Park Boys is a Canadian comedy mockumentary television series created and directed by Mike Clattenburg that focuses on the misadventures of a group of trailer park residents, some of whom are ex-convicts, living in the fictional Sunnyvale Trailer Park in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia.”

There has been 7 seasons and several movies made so far, and they are currently at work on their 8th season. At the core of the show, it’s really centered around 3 friends in their early 30’s who have grown up together in Sunnyvale Trailer Park.

At the beginning of each season, it always shows some (or all) of the boys getting released from prison. They come back to the park and sometimes make an effort to go legit, but inevitably get caught up in some kind of various illegal activities that invariably get them thrown right back in prison at the end of the season. The illegal activities are usually centered on growing and selling dope, as well as various other scams.

Gameplay

In the beginning of the game, you pick one of 12 available characters. Everybody, of course, starts in Jail, having just been released. You roll and move your character down the board. When you start the game, most of the spaces will indicate that you draw a card and follow the instructions on it. Also, in the game setup, all the characters that aren’t selected to be player characters await to be picked up on various spaces. You can land on these characters and opt to recruit them to be sidekicks on your team. Sometimes, through a card draw, you will get the opportunity to make a vacant space you landed on into a “Grow Trailer”, which allow you accumulate bags of dope to sell (and also a vulnerable location on the board that other players can rob). Or, through the card you draw, you may get the chance to set up a scam on one of these vacant spaces. This could be anything from Stolen Shopping Carts to selling recycled (stolen) BBQs. Other players landing on your scams are required to pay you money.

Essentially, these spaces gradually become tiny adventures in themselves and the board gets developed this way anew each game.

Your overreaching goal in the game is simple. Try to get enough money together ($50,000) to be able to buy the trailer park and win the game.

What I like in the game

Each game is its own unique adventure; it is a story that unfolds itself as you play the game. I really felt engrossed in the story. As I was playing the game I felt like I was a character in the show. This game and the way it plays out remains very true to the show.

The re-playability of this game is high. You are essentially building out a new board every time you play the game.

This game is very easy to learn and also to teach to new players.

Overall, the components here are fantastic. The box is solid and the board and minis are very high quality. In my opinion, they have delivered a higher quality game than several well established game companies. The graphic design is perfect to represent the show. Each card has a photo from an episode relevant to that particular card. It even indicates what episode.

Some card examples

Ray's Good Liquor Scam, BBQ Scam and The Dirty Burger

Two Dope Kitty cards and the Conky card

This game plays out pretty quickly- in about 2 hours. Why am I listing quickness here as something I like? Because there is a high random factor present in this game. If Trailer Park Boys, The Board Game was a 4-5 hour game with the same amount of randomness, it would be too long.

What could be better in the game?

Honestly, I found very little to complain about in the game. There wasn’t much that could have been better in an adventure game like this. For fans of the show, I think this is a really good game.
They did a great job designing the game overall. This is especially true for what I understand is their first production.

One niggling point; the cards could be higher quality and have rounded corners cut into them (but I will probably end up sleeving these cards anyway).

Review Summary

Again, I will restate that I really liked this game. I like story-telling, adventure games like this. I consider games like Talisman, D&D, Dungeonquest and Betrayal at House on the Hill to be a lot of fun for me as well as many of the people I game with. These aren’t games you play uber competitively. They simply aren’t the kind of games you want to play if winning is the only thing important to you.

But if factors like a high degree of randomness, or being very much subject to whims of dice and cards bother you, this is probably not the game for you.

Personal note-I actually play a lot of high strategy, competitive games with little to no luck. So when I sit down to play a game like Trailer Park Boys or Talisman, I need to get out of a competitive mind set and just have a good time.

If you are a super-fan of the show, and a fun romp through Sunnyvale Trailer Park with your favorite characters sounds like a good time, I would highly recommend this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon C.
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
God I love this show so much, I'll even buy a roll and move game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this available for purchase? Where can I get a copy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Grey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Springheeledjack wrote:

I think their site is the only way currently:

http://trailerparkboysgame.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon C.
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
petegrey wrote:
Springheeledjack wrote:

$59.99, is it worth it? It doesn't take rocket appliances to know the answer. Play it, smoke dope, we can get 2 birds stoned at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pottedmeat wrote:
petegrey wrote:
Springheeledjack wrote:

$59.99, is it worth it? It doesn't take rocket appliances to know the answer. Play it, smoke dope, we can get 2 birds stoned at once.

$59.99?!?!?!surprise

Pass.shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Bole II
msg tools
Thanks for the review sh*tbird. Was hoping another nerdy fan would hook to the intertubes and use book smarts to write words and sh*t. Is the Phil Collins figure greasy? Heading to the store to pull the old I gave the other guys the check con, mall cops are dumb as sh*t.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister Furious
msg tools
I love how Corey and Trevor have their hands up, waiting for a high five that will never come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I would buy this for the minis alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Grey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's actually a pretty funny Facebook page devoted to the minis alone:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Trailer-Park-Boys-Game-Figuri...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tompkins
msg tools
Springheeledjack wrote:
Pottedmeat wrote:
petegrey wrote:
Springheeledjack wrote:

$59.99?!?!?!surprise

Pass.shake

This is a high quality board game with 13 hand painted figurines. It's well priced for the quality of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Friday special. $49.99

Code: Bfriday13

I caved in, sort of. Wifey was b*tchin about not knowing what to get me for Xmas. So I used her credit card and told her she was done shopping for me.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Romeo
Canada
Chicoutimi
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Is there a game actually? I mean do you have decisions to do? I know it's no Through the Ages but still, can it be compared to let say Spartacus the Board game in term of decisions, strategy? Or a lot more roll and move?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
is there a rulebook for download somewhere? I am trying to wrap my head around the victory conditions... is it just play until no one wants to play (a common way of playing monopoly) ? What about player elimination?

Shotgun Randy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
f*ck look at my profile pic

Bought it YOLO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boze wrote:
is there a rulebook for download somewhere? I am trying to wrap my head around the victory conditions... is it just play until no one wants to play (a common way of playing monopoly) ? What about player elimination?

Shotgun Randy

Raise $55K, make it to the center of the board, buy the park from Barbara.

You win.

No player elimination that I know of. Just setbacks that push you away from the victory conditions.

Seems to have a similar feel to Talisman (Revised 4th Edition).

The good news: Got the package today. Fast delivery.

The bad news: Wife grabbed the box and told me to "forget about opening this until Christmas".shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Grey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The games rules here are "peach'n'cake", but this game is definitely not like Monopoly.

Talisman is a much more apt comparison. You are changing the board as you go around it, trying to effect favorable spaces for you and unfavorable for your opponents to land on.

To win in TPB's The Board Game, you try to get together enough $$$ and sidekicks to help your roll once you get to Barb's and roll high enough to win.

When you do this, it also could occur that you become the Trailer Park Supervisor. If this happens, you get to choose one of two options:

ONE-

"You win the game! Lahey is kicked out and you become the new mellow Sunnyvale Supervisor. You buy the Trailer Park and allow everyone to stay - grow dope, get high and live in peace""

OR

TWO-

"You let the liquor do the thinking! You have joined the dark side and want the Trailer Park to yourself. You must kick everyone out to own Sunnyvale and win the game." and you can't roll at Barb's again

In one of the best games I played of this I choose to "let the liquor do the thinking" and tried to chase everyone else out.

Needless to say, I started out strong, but eventually got my ass handed to me and I lost.

Just like what would usually happen to Mr. Lahey!

The game really does produce a lot of funny moments and it usually unfolds just like you would see episode play out.

"The liquor works for both sides, buddy."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.