Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Kneipp
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all! I just picked up a copy of RoSN and am working through the rules, but I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone can help with. I have read through the Sessions, General, and Rules forums for RoSN, so I sincerely apologize if I missed (or misunderstood) answers to these questions that were previously posted.

1a) Is my understanding of the 0128 Turn, Harbor Defense phase correct, as outlined below?
> A single searchlight (412) is active in this phase of the 0128 Turn...
> Thus, a -1 To Hit modifier is applied to the FIRST To Hit "6" that is rolled during this phase...
> This modified hit focuses the (412) searchlight on a specific boat...
> Thus, from this point until the end of
the 0128 HD phase, no other boat is subject to the -1 searchlight modifier...
> And this means that it IS possible to have fewer than 12 shots fired at the flotilla during this HD phase since the roll of a second To Hit "6" for a different boat (a boat other than the one in the searchlight beam) is NOT modified and is considered a natural Miss, ending the phase.

1b) Based on Rule 7.1, is it accurate that the same scenario described in #1a (above) is also true for boats that are on fire and for boats that are dead in the water? Meaning, a -1 modifier is ONLY applied to the To Hit rolls for the specific boats that are a) caught in a searchlight beam b) on fire c) or dead in the water.

2) During the 0128 Turn, Dockside Defensive Fire phase, which guns are capable of firing into the Approach Zone? If no enemy guns were knocked out during the 0128 Covering Fire phase, I count 5 guns (300A, 300B, 311, 312, and 411.

3a) During ANY Dockside Defensive Fire phase (0128 Turn and beyond), does the flotilla take a maximum of 12 shots PER ZONE (in which a boat is present) until a natural (unmodified) Miss is recorded? Meaning, it IS possible that fewer than 12 shots can be fired into a single zone, correct?

3b) Starting with the 0134 Turn, Dockside Defensive Fire phase, assume that I still have boats in the Approach Zone, as well as boats in Zone A and Zone B. During this phase, do ANY guns fire into the Approach Zone? The Approach Zone is not a Primary, Secondary, or Tertiary zone for any gun.

4) If all of a boat's crew members are killed, is the boat considered sunk? Or is the boat dead in the water, still potentially drawing fire during HD and DDF phases until destroyed (regardless of whether commandos/passengers are left on board)?

MANY thanks in advance for any information regarding these questions. I already enjoy the game immensely and anticipate many play-throughs in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1a: Completely correct.

1b: Correct. An original 6 can be converted into a hit by any of the three reasons.

2: Did not count, but should be correct- all guns able to fire into A are firing into the approach zone on turn 0128.

3a: Correct. Each zone with a boat is handled separately with an individual TH #, each can take up to 12 shots.

3b: Correct, 0134 and later boats in the approach are subject to HDF, but not DDF.

4: All crew killed is an explicit condition to sink a boat (7.181). The boat is, from that moment on, sinking, and will vanish after this turn's naval movement phase. Until then, it is subject to HDF/DDF. It is immobile, but not Dead in Water (thus no -1 TH modifier).

Have fun! This is a splendid game. Maybe my web page on this game could be interesting for you. If you want to see what the battlefield looks like today, this page is for you (2013 pictures coming... whenever I find the time).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Kneipp
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Lutz! I appreciate you taking the time to read and answer these questions. And thanks for the links to your site, as well. Your virtual tour, with references to the game map, is fantastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmbmbmb
PunTheHun wrote:

Have fun! This is a splendid game. Maybe my web page on this game could be interesting for you. If you want to see what the battlefield looks like today, this page is for you (2013 pictures coming... whenever I find the time).

Lutz, You're on here now? I must have printed out almost everything you have on your webpage when I sat down to play Raid a couple of years ago. Thanks for all your work you did, putting it together!

thumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.