Subject: Puerto Rico vs Caylus rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
aaron sullivan
United States
Grand Rapids
United States
flag msg tools
I've heard that Puerto Rico and Caylus are similar games. First off, is this true, and what are the similarities or diffences between them? Which game does everyone prefer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McLelland
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
Don't touch me!!!
badge
Hi! How are you?!?
mbmbmbmbmb
They aren't similar other than they are both great designs. I don't think they have any major similarities at all. In PR your puchased buildings are only used by you, in Caylus anyone can use the buildings you buy by paying a price. They comparisons are only due to the fact that the two games are sitting #1 and #2 on the rankings right now.

My personal preference is toward Caylus, I think PR is brilliant, but its not my favorite game. Caylus is much longer game than PR on average, but you can play it in 2 hours once everyone knows how to play. PR clocks in at 60 minutes or so with experienced players, maybe less.

Both are worthy games to have in your collection, and I don't think they are at all similar. My wife hates PR, and loves Caylus if that makes any difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Actually, they are the same game, but don't let anyone hear you say that or they might eat your face.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(deep breath)

Ok, both Puerto Rico and Caylus are typical 'eurostyle' games. Everyone stays in right to the end, everyone has a chance to win, and there are meaningful decisions at all stages.

In both games you win by amassing the most "victory points", with money being used mainly as a means to points (In Caylus money is also worth points at the end but at a rate of 3 money=1 point. In PR money isn't worth points, but it is used as a tie-braker). Both games involve building up a sort of primitive economy, and sending "workers" to occupy the various buildings. In Puerto Rico, each player has his own player mat and develops his own economy, while in Caylus there is a central playing area where the various buildings are placed. Some Caylus buildings are owned by one of the players, but even then the other player can use them, at a price.

Both games have carefully controlled ending conditions, which means the game generally ends around turn 15 or so. They are both 3-5 player games which accomodate a 2-player variant (Caylus has said variant in the rulebook, you can find one for PR here).

Both games have multiple paths to victory. In Puerto Rico, "building" and "shipping" are the two main methods to earn points, and you can concentrate on one or the other, or you can mix the two.

In Caylus there is more variety, but essentially delivering to the castle and building more buildings are the two points earners, and you can concentrate on one or the other, or you can mix the two.

Ok, now for some differences. Puerto Rico uses Variable Phase Selection: each round the players take turns to choose a role. When Player A chooses a role, he gets a "privilege" associated with the role, and then he does the task for the role, and then everyone else does the task for the role . So everyone is involved on everyone's turn. In Caylus you have a more conventional turn system- players take it in turns to place workers on the buildings, and then the buildings are resolved in order. Both have in common that you are taking lots of small steps rather than one big step (though buying a large building can be an exception here).

Ok, next speaker!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Caylus, but PR sucks.

(I have not rated PR as I have only played twice, and I think it is unfair to rate a game before the third play. I don't plan on trying a third time.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're both outstanding games! The only similarities I can think of is that they're both complex and take some time to learn/appreciate. They also both involve choosing something that gives you an ability plus privilege, but everyone else the ability too. This means you have to keep track of what your opponents are doing so you don't end up helping them too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sample
United States
Pelham
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Bright, brilliant colors are to be seen everywhere, the stones and pigments undimmed by the passage of decades. The floor of the corridor is a colorful mosaic of stone, with a distinct, winding path of red tiles about 2' wide.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaron,

The two games are very different experiences. I find both very enjoyable. Why don't you have a look for yourself? Both games can be played at the Brettspielwelt (aka BSW 'round here). Visit them at:

www.brettspielwelt.de

Get more info about it at:

www.brettspielwelt.info

BSW has a great implementation of both games, IMHO. It is also a great way to play because both games are very fast at BSW. I have also found the people at BSW to be very helpful and friendly.

Rules for Caylus can be found at the Ystari website:

http://www.ystari.com/caylus/eindex.php

The complete rules for Puerto Rico can be found at:

http://www.fwtwr.com/fwtwr/puerto_rico/rules/index.htm
(a play by e-mail website for various Eurogames).

For the first timer, I would say that PR may be easier to pick up on the fly as older players can help you along for the first play or so. Myself, I did a lot of watching at BSW first and then I jumped into a game. I would be more than happy to play either game with you if we meet at BSW. I am no expert, but I think that I am a patient person and would be willing to teach the basics (I stink so strategy will be an "on your own" experience!!). I am known as Nick_Bottom or queequeg.

Give 'em both a try and post a reply to yourself. They are great games with different themes and very different feels.

Cheers,
queequeg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PS3 s teh r0x0r n pwnz 360. sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.