Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
neuro researcher
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone else waiting to get this until after a few months? I'm not so afraid of seeing how the gameplay is (although that will be an advantage of waiting). I'm more concerned with the inevitable typos and issues the game may ship with (a la Mansions of Madness). I want to play the game when it comes out, but I'm afraid of lots of printing errors or broken strategies essentially. Anyone else have feelings on this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same boat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not afraid of typos, and broken strategies - you can just restrain from using them or limit them atleast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't thought of it until you mentioned it, but reflecting on my lackluster experiences with Mansions of Madness and Elder Sign, I think you're right to let other people take Eldritch Horror for a spin before jumping on the bandwagon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah, I have no worries. MoM was a bad situation, but with the money that FFG lost trying to fix Forbidden Alchemy (they even gave out free novels with the fixed components), I would bet that their Quality Assurance has been tightened up. I really haven't heard of any issues since FA, though I will admittedly acknowledge that I haven't followed every new game FFG has put out since the FA fiasco.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Hogan
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, insta-buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neuro researcher
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruskicowboy wrote:
Nah, I have no worries. MoM was a bad situation, but with the money that FFG lost trying to fix Forbidden Alchemy (they even gave out free novels with the fixed components), I would bet that their Quality Assurance has been tightened up. I really haven't heard of any issues since FA, though I will admittedly acknowledge that I haven't followed every new game FFG has put out since the FA fiasco.

That is a good point. I really want to play this when it comes out, even if it didn't turn out to be much more than an AH redo (although I don't think that this will be the case). I do really like the updated artwork. Yog Sothoth looks awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dochogan wrote:
Nope, insta-buy.

Same here. There might end up being some unfortunate typos and the like, but if I really like it and I consider it a big enough deal, I've been known to rebuy games. Barring anything really serious or gamebreaking they'll almost certainly include any fixes in expansions, and with the rate FFG churns those out now (or at least has them planned) you'd probably get it at the same time as a revised printing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, the things people are scared of these days...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I need more info on exactly how it is different that AH. Waiting on previews and, more importantly, rules, before I commit...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be waiting but mainly just that I don't buy any game anymore that hasn't been out 6-12 months or I've played it. It helps me avoid hype and allows a better picture of what I'm purchasing.

It also keeps me out of the horror unknown dimension known only as KICKSTARTER.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Rex
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would buy it on release but I foolishly imposed a $150 per year gaming budget which is already blown for the year (and I went over about $60). I either need to get a better paying job or make my 3 year old start paying rent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gaskill
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll pre order as soon as it's possible.....at
my age you don't waitzombie

OD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Even though i own arkham horror and im a big fan of lovecraft, this game just isnt appealing to me. Maybe because of the similarities with arkham horror and do we really need another game similar to it?

Combined with the fact that investigators are now traveling the globe which would take weeks in reality between turns just seems to lessen the overall feel. least with arkham horror it was all taking place within a reasonable distance of travel.

there are many other game mechanics that the cthulhu mythos would suit without having to retread familiar territory each time. If the game had been something new for the mythos then i would have been clamoring for a pre order.

Until it has been out for a while and i know for certain its a worthy purchase then i might get it and besides i just spent a fortune on cthulhu wars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This one shot to the top of my game purchasing list, so if I can afford it I will buy it. Sure, it will most likely have some broken aspects to it - but FF has been good at fixing those in the past (at least in the games I like).

So what do I like that is going to make me buy it?

First, I love Arkham Horror but the pacing is wrong to me. Acts I (start of the game) and II (lots of gates opening, investigators scramble to close them) are paced the way I want - but it is Act III (several gates closed and sealed) feels all wrong. Act III feels more like the denouement rather than a tense final act. Alternatively, it is a drawn out slaughter of the investigators (which makes losing the game feel more right for pacing, but a game that has the right pacing only when you lose is not a good game). I am hoping this game will have the pacing is more like Mansions of Madness (which feels right, but mostly because it is scripted) or Pandemic.

Second, I love the flipped card mechanism in Mansions of Madness and the cliffhanger mechanic of Fortune and Glory. I think this will add a lot to the game's theme, but also means it will require expansions to keep the game feeling "fresh."

Third, these games often have a strong fan base that quickly identifies errors and prints fan fixes. Also, I have no issues looking at the game and tweaking it.

Finally, since it already encompasses the globe, I don't see the expansions for this as being map-heavy. Cards, GOOs, new flip sides, etc will probably keep expansion cost down - and I am a sucker for a game that I can keep adding on to (because I like to play my favorites over and over again).

Fortunately, I am in a position where I have the means where I can probably afford this when it comes out without too much concern. However, I don't think I'll preorder (that is one step I am usually unwilling to do with any product - I want to see it and read a review or two first).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Day one supporter thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Every Board Game I Reach Is Dead"
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm a supporter from day one too, can't wait to get a more in depth idea of what this is about- the theme and stuff seen so far has got me salivating!

Expansion wise with the smaller board they could have alternative boards of the world with different global locations on. This would be cool, but as with MoM they'll most likely need to expand cards quickly to keep the game fresh.

I've never pre-ordered a game though- expansions you are fine to do that but by pre-ordering a base game you are essentially gambling your money that you will enjoy it.

I'll wait until some decent reviews have been uploaded to make up my mind for good. I can already see that someone else will take the money dive for me. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In my opinion they just try to sell us Arkham Horror all over again.

However ... I really dig Arkham Horror.shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E A
msg tools
Will probably buy it on day one. However, I will study the manual beforehand to see if it's my type of game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.