Subject: How do the tournament rules work? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

can someone please explain me how the tournament rules work? I read the tournament rules pdf from the ffg website but don't understand how a tournament goes from start to end.

So if I have 10 guys who will play a tournament again each other, how does tournament goes? If I understand it correct 5 groups with 2 players each will be created and than each group will play a match against each other. A match consists of 2 games. The player who wins a game gets 10 points and the player who loses a game gets points equal to the agenda points he scores. The winner of the match is the player who has more points collected during the two games. The player who wins the match also gets 2 prestige points.

The winners of the first matches will form the new groups for the second run and will play like described above until the winner is determined.

Don't know if this is correct but what I also don't know is the following:

- What does Swiss Format mean?
- For what are the prestige points?
- What is an elimination bracket?
- How will ties are broken?
- What does elimination exactly mean in the tournament context and for what is elimination good for?

Questions over questions. Maybe someone can bring a little light in my dark brain...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Imobersteg
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
You may have the old system of rules.

Anywho, there are no pools/groups or anything like that. The first round is completely against randomized opponents.

Each match is two games. A game win gives 10 match points and 2 prestige points. A game loss gives a number of match points equal to the agenda points scored.

Prestige Points are used for tournament advancement. Match points are only one of the tie breakers, there are no additional Prestige Points for getting the most match points any more.

Seeding for the next round is determined by Prestige with tie-breakers being determined by Strength of Schedule and match points.

Swiss Format:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss-system_tournament

Prestige Points are essentially "Tournament Points" and determine your overall ranking.

Elimination Bracket is used after several rounds. Usually 3-5 rounds of matches (called "Swiss Rounds"). After the Swiss Rounds usually you cut to the top 8 players (based on Prestige Points and tiebreakers).

This is where the actual match points are used now to determine a match win. The winner of a match advances to the next elimination round, the loser is well....eliminated from the tournament.

Ties are broken a number of ways. Strength of Schedule and match points being some of them. Read the rules on the website for more details.

Elimination is used once the top 8 players are seeded and cuts down the number of games in a tournament.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Tse
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
good questions. took me lots of googling to figure out all the terms, but yea. above has it right. only thing undefined is Strength of Schedule. But you can google that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Larner
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
nungunz wrote:

Prestige Points are used for tournament advancement. Match points are only one of the tie breakers, there are no additional Prestige Points for getting the most match points any more.

Seeding for the next round is determined by Prestige with tie-breakers being determined by Strength of Schedule and match points.

This has actually changed also. The tie breakers for determining whether or not you make the elimination round (or your final standing if there are no elimination rounds) are wins with weakest side, and then strength of schedule (found by totaling all opponents prestige totals). It is no longer necessary to keep a record of match points or how many agenda points were scored at all during the Swiss. Only win or loss for each side needs to be recorded.

Also, I don't think it's standard practice to use tie breakers when matching in the Swiss. Typically tiebreakers are only used for final standings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Blumklotz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For more details on events and how to run them hit this page at the FFG website:
FFG Organized Play Home Page

Contacts and Documents

Specifically you want the A Guide to Running Your Event. This PDF will explain tournament structure in general. Then you use the specific rules in the ANR Tourney Guide.

Basics:

* The first round pairings are always random.
* After that, your ranking will pair you. 1 and 2 rank face each other, 3 and 4 rank face each other, etc.
* The only exception to this is you cannot face the same opponent more than once during Swiss rounds. If your ranking would pit you against someone you have previously faced, you have to manually adjust the schedule until their are no conflicts.

Rank sorted by:
Prestige --> Weak Side Wins --> Strength of Schedule

Weak Side Wins: Look the total corp and runner wins for each player tied for Prestige Points. Take the lowest score from each and compare. Which ever is higher breaks the tie.
EXAMPLE
Player 1 Wins:
Corp 2
Runner 3

Player 2 Wins
Corp 4
Runner 1

You would compare player 1's corp win total vs. player 2's runner total and player 1 would be ranked above player 2 in this tie breaker. It doesn't mater what strong side wins are, just the weak side wins.

If you are still tied at this point (because Prestige and Weak Side Wins are the same) you go to Strength of Schedule Points (SoSP). You calculate it by totaling the prestige of all your opponents each round.

Round 1 you blank your opponent 4-0, you have 0 SoSP to determine rank for round 2. In round 2 you split the Prestige 2-2 (your opponent was 4-0 in round 1) and your round 1 opponent blanks his opponent 4-0. You add both your opponents current Prestige Points (4 + 6) your total SoSP is 10. In round three you add all three of your opponents prestige gained at that point and so on.

Byes. If you have an odd number of players you have a Bye round. In the first round it is assigned randomly. A player with the Bye gains 4 Prestige but no Wins and the by never will have Prestige and contributes 0 SoSP.

After round one, the bye is given to the lowest ranking player (that has NOT already had a bye) in each subsequent round.

I hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Imobersteg
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
Jadiel wrote:
nungunz wrote:

This has actually changed also. The tie breakers for determining whether or not you make the elimination round (or your final standing if there are no elimination rounds) are wins with weakest side, and then strength of schedule (found by totaling all opponents prestige totals). It is no longer necessary to keep a record of match points or how many agenda points were scored at all during the Swiss. Only win or loss for each side needs to be recorded.

Also, I don't think it's standard practice to use tie breakers when matching in the Swiss. Typically tiebreakers are only used for final standings.

Good catch on the match points, there. Tie-breakers for Swiss might be needed as I can see there being a lot more cases where people have the same prestige so the tie breakers would be needed determine the pairings for those people who are tied on prestige points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.