Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am trying to organise a mini-tournament for Combat Commander on the first weekend of the half-term week (at least its that week for us up here, it may not be for you). The catch is that I am situated way up north in Wigton, near Carlisle. The vague plan is to have the tournament on one of the two days and play other things in the rest of the time, although the CC might spill over into the second day depending on how many games were envisaged.
At the moment the idea is to have this event small enough to take place in my house. The rest of the family are away and its big enough for quite a few games at once. I can offer a place to kip down (but not free scran!). In the unlikely event this snowballs I could find a local school or village hall to house it, though I might have to charge a small fee in that event.
The people who are lined up to take part so far (5) are all people that played in the CC tournaments at UK Game Expo several years ago.
So if you are interested in coming please post here or send me a geekmail.
Cheers
Mike Smith
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bishop
United Kingdom
Lytham St. Annes
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I've already replied, so you know I will be there, this could be bigger than Essen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
Are you planning just straight games of CC or are you going to try some kind of greater and lesser command scenario that we were talking about in the other thread?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My still vague idea is that the first round will be one big multiplayer with parallel games and the possibility of lateral transfer of assets. Players will be divided randomly into Allies and Axis. They will play the first round looking for an individual win in their game, and a team win. They will get points for an individual win, and bonus points for a team win.
Round 2 will work differently. Players will be randomly redivided into two sides, but will now be competing against the members of their own side. They will play once against each of the players on the other side in individual, separate, unlinked games. Your performance will be compared against the players on your own side, initially by straight wins and losses, and in the event of a tie by some method I have not properly thought up yet! Victory points do not cover wins by forcing surrender or elimination, and are rather variable depending on the victory chits drawn. However, ties will probably have to be sorted by the sum of your positive/minus victory points, with a given score for a surrender/elimination win/loss. The advantage of doing it this way is that it helps reduce problems of scenario balance when you are competing over performance in the same scenarios against those on the same "side". Points will be awarded for coming 1st, 2nd, 3rd on your side.
There will then be a round 3 consisting of a play-off final game against the person ranked in the same position on the opposite side in round 2.
Scores from rounds 1, 2, and 3 will be summed to determine an overall winner. Or something a bit like that... Please bear in mind that I have not thought this fully through yet. Suggestions welcomed.

The parallel team game round comes first to prevent metagame aspects creeping in (like I won't send him reinforcements because he is higher than me in the standings...).

Monsieur Dauphin, are you planning a transatlantic journey to join us!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bishuk wrote:
Well I've already replied, so you know I will be there, this could be bigger than Essen

The biggest thing in Wigton since the Vikings. Oh sorry, since the birth of Melvyn Bragg.... (Lord Bragg of Wigton).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well we are up to 6 people. 8 would be a good house-containable number so if you are interested...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Possible 7th and 8th players interested now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Update for 26th October. I think we have 7 signed up so far:
Myself
Lawrence Smith
Paul Laverack
Steve Bishop
Son of Steve Bishop
Jim F (Ashiefan)
John McLintock

Have I missed any definites? Everybody still good for this? Anybody else interested in coming along? We really need an even number to make this work at its best.
Cheers
Mike Smith
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We now have an 8th definite: John Hedges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yack, Lawrence can't play on the 26th until the late afternoon. He is out, at least for the tournament, though he will be around to play other things on Sunday.
That puts us back to 7 which is not good. Ideally we need even numbers. With 7 we could just play round-robin, with one person sitting out at any one time. Chief bottle-washer, cook and pizza delivery man! But we should try to avoid that.
Anyone else want to take part?
Can existing participants suggest/bring anyone else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its over, and most enjoyable it was too. I will post a proper report anon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bishop
United Kingdom
Lytham St. Annes
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a great weekend.

Thanks to Mike for his hospitality and organising the event.

Good company and good gaming.

Thanks again Mike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Steve. I tried to post the first instalment of a session report but BGG ate it "pending review" so its not appeared yet (I don't know why).
By the way the official winner was John McClintock, with yourself and Lawrence joint runners up. john was quite chuffed.
I learnt a bit about how to set up such an event. There will be a second I am sure, with some things similar, others changed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK. I have started a new Sessions thread on the CC Europe page for thoughts, comments and feedback on the tournament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.