Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dante Gagne
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, before anyone mentions the obvious answer, my gaming group has five players, and they all LOVE the game, so dropping down to 4 players is not really viable.

But, what we're running into, is that we keep emptying the board. We're usually doing either the giants or the Elder Crown, and we literally reach a point where one or more players can't do blue yet, but there is no yellow or green left.

I think the problem is that the new expansion decks don't put enough events in the deck, and the refresh/non-refresh ratio gets too ugly. We've had to do a 'forced' refresh several times in our games, or several players could just walk away, because they're not going anywhere... period.

I'd like a more absolute system for determining when a refresh should happen other then "Ok, after Jess takes her turn, we're refreshing the board... anyone object?"

--S

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could start refreshing Green on all Green Events and Encounters, and Yellow on all Yellow Events and Encounters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dante Gagne
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Encounters are cards that aren't monsters or events... like the one where an assassin is needed in Frostgate, right?

One idea we had talked about, was whenever ANY event is picked up off a starburst space on the board, it would refresh all other starburst events that are more then 5 hexes away from the one that was just picked up.

I.e. Player A steps on an encounter marker, and succeeds at the fight. That encounter marker was on a starburst... so ALL encounter markers within 5 hexes of that character are refreshed.

Alternatively, all starbursts that are 2+ hexes away from ALL characters (Don't want to refresh something right under another player) refresh.

We don't want to make it trivial for players to just keep stepping back and forth getting encounters, but the empty board just makes the game DRAG.

--D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Maybe I'm misreading what you wrote...But it sounds like you're only refreshing if you draw an event when you are on a space with a sunburst. If this is true, then you are not playing correctly. Any time an event is drawn, regardless of the sunburst being present or the event not occurring, all starburst encounters are reset.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dante Gagne
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe based on what I said, that could be misunderstood... but rest assured that ANY Event on ANY encounter space gets a full board refresh.

We just seem to be able to grab all the green spaces without finding one of those events.

Tonight, I'm going to go ahead and count the number of spaces on the board, and the number of event/non-event cards, to see how often the scenario we described will happen.

--D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Hunsucker
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered making everyone level up faster? i.e. instead of 3 experience counters to level up, make it 2. Then maybe people will be strong enough to take on the blues.

Also, try playing with the travel hazards variant. This takes effect when you end your turn on a space without an encounter. You roll two die, and if the terrain symbol you're on appears, you don't get an encounter. But if you don't, you will get an encounter. Another die roll determines the color of the encounter you get. When you defeat it, you get the experience, but not the reward. This also might pull more events out of the deck, but in the meantime, you will still be getting envounters. You can almost guarantee an encounter in this method by heading to the mountains or the swamps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dante Gagne
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not a terrible idea at all... we'll give that a try next time we run with it. Since we generally don't use the doom track (I find it goes *WAY* too fast with 5 players), I hadn't thought about the die-rolling version.

--D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike tauman

New Jersey
msg tools
mangler103 wrote:
Have you considered making everyone level up faster? i.e. instead of 3 experience counters to level up, make it 2. Then maybe people will be strong enough to take on the blues.

Also, try playing with the travel hazards variant. This takes effect when you end your turn on a space without an encounter. You roll two die, and if the terrain symbol you're on appears, you don't get an encounter. But if you don't, you will get an encounter. Another die roll determines the color of the encounter you get. When you defeat it, you get the experience, but not the reward. This also might pull more events out of the deck, but in the meantime, you will still be getting envounters. You can almost guarantee an encounter in this method by heading to the mountains or the swamps.

I never used the travel hazard variant, but I thought you got the reward but not the experience? Have to re-read that variant. It didn't appeal to me the one time I read it and I never even thought about it again until just now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.