Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
This is also posted in the PBeM folder:

It seems like every couple of weeks, someone is posting a message asking about which 18XX game is the best for getting into the system. As an 18XX player of nearly 20 years, it does my heart good to see new players still interested in this fine game system. We all owe Francis Tresham a debt of gratitude.

Because the easiest way to learn a game (especially one of moderate complexity) and to suss out strategy is by playing with a veteran, I would like to volunteer my services to moderate a BGG forum/PBGM version of an 18XX game. The game that I have chosen is 18AL (an excellent variation designed by Mark Derrick). 18AL has the benefits of being relatively small in scale (map size, number of corporations, number of specialized rules, etc.), being relatively forgiving of mistakes, and playing relatively quickly (in terms of 18XX quickness ). It accomodates 3-5 players and has a VASSAL module available.

I will act either as an active player or as a mentor (depending upon how many interested parties wish to play), running the VASSAL game and posting screen shots as needed to illustrate the game as it plays out (you will not need any VASSAL experience in order to play). I will explain the various stages of the game, offer some advice on various "schools" of strategy, and generally act as a benevolent overseer, teaching the game to new players. I would guess that giving players 24 hours to take their turns and permitting conditional orders should be sufficient to allow for players in differing time zones and still keep the game moving at a steady pace. Still, I don't envision the game playing out to completion in anything less than several months.

If you are interested in learning 18XX and have the patience to play a slow learning game or if you have any questions, then post a reply or send me a GM message.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Jarvis
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me, me, me...pick me!
Seriously, this sounds like an incredible opportunity that I cannot pass up. I really want to learn this system. Thanks for putting this together and count me in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Albanito
United States
Marshfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
I would be interested. I have played one 18xx game (although I don't remember which one), and I liked it. Besides, it's a train game. Who can pass that up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I have five players.

The list is:

texasjdl
cobbz20
phaedrus
roman19667
cromaa

Thanks everyone! You will be receiving a message shortly about setting the game up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Alphey
Australia
New Norfolk
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will it be possible for those not amongst the "lucky" 5 to watch & learn too please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gomez wrote:
Will it be possible for those not amongst the "lucky" 5 to watch & learn too please?

Absolutely. I am planning on running this in the PBEM folder of the forum here. This will also afford other 18XX veterans the ability to add their comments and strategy tips to the discussion. I may have experience at these games, but I know that there are better players than me out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Alphey
Australia
New Norfolk
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, thanks. Will the thread be a continuation of this one (ie name), or do you intend to "rename" it?

R.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Davis
United States
Staten Island
New York
flag msg tools

Can you also add me to your 'watching' list?

thanks
john

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ballinger
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang! I'm too slow. Hopefully I can get into the next one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan O'Rourke
United States
Tobyhanna
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would like to be a part of this also. Please let us know where we should look to keep up with what's going on. Do the players need a copy of the game to be involved?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Smith
England
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll need Vassal and the 18AL package, I assume.

Now to find myself an 18XX PBEM game for non-newbies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Mikael Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excalabur wrote:
Now to find myself an 18XX PBEM game for non-newbies

I'd be happy to play 1825 / 1853 / 1856 / 1860 / 1870 / 18Scan / 18GL via pbem, those being the ones I own so far. I'd be happy to try out any other 18xx title as well, but then the non-newbie criteria is no longer applicable to me.

My reservations mainly concern the media used - I have no experience at all of Vassal, having never tried it out. I am currently playing in a pbem game using spreadsheet to keep track of most things, and I find that errors occur quite frequently, as all communication is done in text emails, and it is up to every individual player to keep the whole situation updated in their own private files. Previously, I played via Cyberboard, sending actual move files, only keeping track of cash outside of Cyberboard, and I thought that worked better.

... so, while not a newbie at 18xx, I would be a newbie at Vassal, thus at least partly disqualifying myself from the non-newbie criteria were that to be the media.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amelia Tharme
United Kingdom
Eastbourne
flag msg tools
mbmb
I would be happy to play via Cyberboard. I've played the same list of games as unic (since I'm his wife). I may be biased but I think that unic's 1825 Cyberboard gamebox looks very nice, maybe if I bribe him with games he can be persuaded to make a gamebox for one of the other games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Smith
England
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that there already exist Cyberboard gameboxes for some of the other games, though I'd have to check to make sure.

You and my 18xx experience seems remarkably non-overlapping. The only game on your list that I've played is '56, though 'GL is on Deep Thought's to-do list at the moment. I'm more than willing to fake knowing what I'm doing in just about any 18xx game, though.

So: anyone interested in PBEM 18xx, with a tentative lean towards 1856 via cyberboard, drop me a geekmail, and we can see what we can do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Excalabur wrote:
Now to find myself an 18XX PBEM game for non-newbies :)

I suggest asking on the 18XX mailing list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
unic wrote:
Previously, I played via Cyberboard, sending actual move files, only keeping track of cash outside of Cyberboard, and I thought that worked better.

Cyberboard is Windows only. VASSAL is cross-platform.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For players and observers, the forum thread for this game is located here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/826833#826833

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to update the general public...

The game has been underway for a couple of days now and my test subjects, um, lab rats, um, I mean "students" are just about half-way through the Initial Stock Round. Of course, as inexperienced players they are still feeling their way around the game system but seem to be picking up the Stock Round portion of the game quickly. Feel free to drop in on us and check it out (especially if YOU are interested in learning how to play an 18XX game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.