Subject: Who knows anything about sockets and bolts? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Kulp
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
I am trying to remove my wife's factory radio from her Camry to install a better one, but I swear I've tried every socket known to man and NOTHING fits the bolts on it!

I've tried 8mm like the instructions say. Too small. 10mm was too big. 9mm is too small. 3/8 inch, too small. 7/16 inch, too big.

WTF??!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Have you tried hitting it with a hammer and swearing at it? That usually works... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
A crowbar usually fits.

Why to just use some needlenose pliers to grab the bolts and turn them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
sawzall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exceptio probat regulam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Have you checked for reverse-threads? Not uncommon on things the manufacturer doesn't want you to remove. The web might know.

Removal:
Drill into the bolts (**) and use a "bolt-extracter" - a threaded conical rod with a wide-threaded reverse-screw that jams in the drilled hole. This gives you a standard shape for sockets to engage.

Wikipedia doesn't know these tools by that name, but they're common and cheap. They're used for removing bolts etc that are seriously stuck or stripped. You can buy sets of them in different sizes quite cheaply any place with a moderate range of tools. There has to be a "reverse-reverse" (i.e normal thread direction version for reverse-threaded bolts.

Obviously you can also just drill out the bolt, but this entails a risk of damaging the thread on the frame, and perhaps even damaging something else on the way in. Re-threading a hole is possible of course, but the tools for that cost a good bit more than the ones for the method I described above.

OTOH if the current bolts are reverse-threaded, and you have a way to revert to standard threads and bolts, do it.

If you want to keep the original thread the drill size has to be smaller than the core of the bolt. Start with the smallest one you can, and be careful to drill the center of the bolt. It's easy to make such a hole bigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
You need a Gator Grip socket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
As with everything in life: More garlic and more butter = better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.