Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first!.... on Easy Mode, I confess.

So I knew very little going in but I had caught enough info from glimpses of reading online that this was a tough quest (and after HfG, I was wondering how much of a change it could be...)

So I knew I'd use Tactics.
And then I just paired it up with Spirit. Cuz... why not? So I could quest hard with Eowyn, and I had a deck with a reasonable amount of synergy... and I also threw all 3 hobbit-Gandalf in there.

On Tactics, I ran Beorn, in particular. I realized that hey, this might be my way to success!... as I did the setup for the first time, pulling out the easy mode cards (looking at them, yikes!)... and then following setup, noticing the trolls.. jesus! and I noticed that the hill troll was still in the encounter deck? how cruel can this game be! and then reading the Carrock... yikes yikes... and I did notice a special ally in there, but decided not to peek too much.

In short, what happened is that the first quest stage went ok, I pulled the hill troll but managed him with use of Beorn + some don't-attack effects, so I had him defeated in about 2 or 3 turns that he was out. phew. Victory display thankfully!...

Then eventually I pulled the ally... read it.. and went OOPS. Leadership icon to get him!? DARN!

Oh well, sigh. Guess I won't have him. Mental note: play this again w/ leadership. [future edit: I then realized finally a use of the Song cards! I could have just had the song of the kings!]

What transpired later was such a fantastic sequence of events, now I realize. With Spirit I had such great threat management, that when I moved to staging the trolls, I realized I had a way to keep them at bay by staying under threat!

In short, I managed EACH troll ONE BY ONE, always attacking with Beorn, Gimli (w/ damage and attachments) and an ally or more. I'm thankful the deck isn't stock full of enemies... and I got lucky and only the muck adder showed up at some point but I managed to get him out of play quickly (thalin and some eagles helped).

Gandalf came at a great time on the spirit player deck, and I kept paying the 2 threat to keep him going (I had forgotten about that)...

I did eventually lose a hero, when I had to assign all undefended damage, and around that time the encounter deck shuffled, and the threat in the staging area was around a mind boggling 18+ (that darn location with five! and I just couldnt get questing going even with gandalf!)... but eventually I managed to start getting +2 progress on the location that needed 6... each time using the discard for +1 action...

then when I really thought myself doomed (w/ the encounter deck reset, gulp! trolls could come back! WHO FORGOT VICTORY POINTS ON THE TROLLS!?)...

I quested with just about everyone (a huge cast at this point) and...

woah! I won! victory shot (kinda far...)

and now I'm foolish enough to try it again, this time leadership+tactics...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicely done!

Keep in mind that you don't actually need a Leadership hero or a Song of Kings to get Grimbeorn because of the following location:

Of course, this has you relying on the encounter deck to spit out this location for you at the proper time... and we all know how 'nice' the encounter deck can be. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
GeckoTH wrote:
Nicely done!

Keep in mind that you don't actually need a Leadership hero or a Song of Kings to get Grimbeorn because of the following location:

Of course, this has you relying on the encounter deck to spit out this location for you at the proper time... and we all know how 'nice' the encounter deck can be. whistle

You also have to be careful not to remove Oak-wood Grove from play while in the staging area with Northern Trackers. And once you are able to travel to Oak-wood Grove, when questing you have to make sure that your questing willpower either matches the total threat of the staging area or take a hit to your threat level so that you make sure it doesn't get removed from play. It's hard to save up 8 resource tokens for the exact moment Oak-wood Grove becomes the active location!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turns out my first attempt with leadership+tactics was epic fail. Threat was unmanageable, really, so I didn't have the luxury of what clearly is the way to beat this one -- taking one troll at a time.

Or perhaps with lots of traps.

I might give my exact same leadership+tactics deck one-more-try...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.