Subject: Looking for a new game to play with my Wife rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J. Dizzy
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am slowly turning my wife into a gamer. When we met, she told me she "hates playing board games". But, slowly, I've made her more open to gaming. I started with Ticket To Ride. Followed up with Modern Art, San Juan, Bohnanza (don't like this game personally), and a couple more. She seemed to like Ticket To Ride and Modern Art the most... until the day when I FINALLY begged her to play Memoir '44. Now, we play it about 3 times per week, and bought all the expansions. From what I can tell, she likes the components, the historical background, simple / effective rules, time frame, and doesn't mind shaking lots of dice.

I'm looking for some direction as to what to try next. Personally, there are still some eurogames I want, and I'm very curious to try a more heavy wargame (but something my wife would still play). My list is something like this: Through the Desert, Tigris & Euphrates, Command and Colors: Ancients, Paths of Glory, Caylus, and/or part of the Down in Flames series.

Are any in my list a good fit? Any other suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Line is my favorite 2-player game. You might also try Lord of the Rings (for a cooperative change), Dungeon Twister (not my favorite, but it's highly regarded), and any of the Kosmos 2-player games. (I like Jambo and Odin's Ravens).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Moe
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
wowAll the bells and whistles you could be looking for. at http://www.temporaltrade.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If she likes Mem '44, I'd jump on Commands and Colors: Ancients. Just a few new things to learn and teach your wife (how to use leaders, battle-back, etc.), but for my money a much more interesting game. You should check out DWTripp's review of C&C:A in the reviews folder of the C&C:A forums.

And the new expansion for C&C:A has just been announced by GMT and placed on its p500 preorder list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Jarvis
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a list of my wifes favorites:

Age of Steam
Rook
Power Grid

We haven't delved to far into the wargames, but I'm hoping to pick up War of the Ring soon, since it seems to incorperate more than just tactical battles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Evans
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent, that's encouraging. I just bought Memoir '44 Friday. This gives me hope that it may get out of the closet for more than one playing...

Other than Modern Art, the others have a considerable luck factor. Is that important? TTD and T&E are going to rely much more on strategy and tactics. Having little or no luck would be a turn-off for my wife.

My wife currently enjoys :
Allhambra
Lost Cities
Blokus - She loves Blokus

I'm hopeful for :
Fairy Tale

Through the Desert - not too big of a stretch in terms of difficulty, definitely more abstract. I can't play this maybe I'm spatially challenged. No luck involved here.

Tigris & Euphrates - I really like this game but this is on a different strategic level from the games you playing are now

Caylus - All the cool kids are doing it I'd probably buy this too if it were available anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, I bought M'44 a few weeks ago and it's my wife's favourite game at the moment. I never saw that coming...

Attika is a great game with two players. It has a nice pace and you get to be a bit weasely without getting into too much trouble

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Dizzy
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The trick with Memoir '44 is this: If you are in the position, let your wife WIN the first game or 2. Honestly, I let her win the first game (allowing her to have the scenario advantage, as well as playing a bad card near the end), but the 2nd game, she just killed me flat out. With 2 wins under her belt, she was hooked. We are pretty even now.

As far as complexity, I have this knack with Acquire and Modern Art that my friends describe as "uncanny". They won't play those with me anymore.

It terms of luck, in general, I don't like luck heavy games, but, I may need something slightly luck-based, for a slight balance (depending on the game mechanics).

My wife is very intelligent, but I'm just starting to learn her strong points in gaming. She's very focused, and great at battle strategy. She seems to be good at bluffing, and is not scared or timid to attack other players (me). Her weak game points would be managing money / resources, making good auction bids. All joking aside, I think her game strengths and weaknesses mirror her real-life skills.

I love Knizia's games, and I'm just dieing to play TTD, T&E, and maybe Samurai. I forgot to mention my wife HATES Carcassone, and I'm fairly sick of it too. I'm going to look into the previous games mentioned, but are there any comments on the original list?

As of now, I'm leaning towards CC:A, and either Through the desert or T&E.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus the Bull
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember to build on what she likes, not what you like or what you'd like her to like...

CC:A may be the ticket here. Ask her what appeals to her with Memoir, the historical, the dice, the combat? Keep her anwser in mind when choosing the next game.

Through the Desert has next to nothing in common with Memoir. If you want it, then by all means get it. Don't justify the purchase as somthing for both of you when her preferences don't seem to be leaning towards her this one. Be honest with yourself, buy it for you

Samurai would be better as a next step. Conflict, some randomness, historical? Yeah, you could sell that to her too

Tigris may be a good step for you as well but I haven't attempted to introduce this to my wife yet. It just doesn't lend it self to a quick understanding of how the game plays. T&E needs repeated plays to appreciate the depth. I don't think that my wife would give it that chance.

Best of Luck!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Instead of rewriting history for the umpteenth time, let's search the Geeklists for 'wife', 'spouse', and 'girlfriend'.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=search&sea...

Can we just have a permanent link to this on the front page since it comes up about once every three weeks as new people hit the site?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EvilTimmy wrote:
Instead of rewriting history for the umpteenth time, let's search the Geeklists for 'wife', 'spouse', and 'girlfriend'.

Can we just have a permanent link to this on the front page since it comes up about once every three weeks as new people hit the site?

In a very respectful and non-confrontational voice I have to say that I hope that fellow BGGers ignore the post above. It is the nature of online forums to attract new people all the time. If we get into a "use the search function only" attitude, the whole "interaction" function of forums will disappear and newcomers will be turned off. I enjoy seeing what people have to say, even to questions posed for the "umpteenth" time.

Insistence of the "search" feature also prevents people like the thread starter from adding their own variables. For example, Jeremy Domby was able to list the games he's considering, a majority of which are wargames, a category of games not usually associated to gaming with wives and or girlfriends.

Finally, why do some people feel the need to say, "use the search feature"? If a person feels that a subject has been beaten to death, just move on to a different thread and let those who wish to respond, do so at their own leisure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
crusader4x wrote:
In a very respectful and non-confrontational voice I have to say that I hope that fellow BGGers ignore the post above. It is the nature of online forums to attract new people all the time. If we get into a "use the search function only" attitude, the whole "interaction" function of forums will disappear and newcomers will be turned off. I enjoy seeing what people have to say, even to questions posed for the "umpteenth" time.

Er...there was nothing disparaging in my post. I did not suggest that the original poster needed to use the search function, only that this particular question comes up so often for new users that the info should be some place easy to find.

As for seeing what people have to say for the umpteenth time, I have, and it's always the same, which is why I wrote what I did. sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
La Habra
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crusader4x wrote:

Nicely said

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Glynn
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mb
This looks like a good example of something that occurs quite regularly in these forums i.e. the downsides of email/posted messages in conveying intent/emotion. I can see why the above posters responded as they did to Tim's initial post, but it's also easy to see in the light of his second post that he was attempting to be helpful (although it might not have seemed that way initially).

The fact that Tim went to the trouble to dig out the actual links to material which the original poster should presumably find helpful and informative is evidence enough to me of positive intent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kidsley
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Long Eaton, Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
all good points and I dont think Tim was trying to be "funny"

I for one feel it is ok for me to ask a question without fear that it has been asked before.
People on here are very helpful and the fact many include links to similar posts are great too.

I would expect that most threads become out of date after a time anyway as new games come out and its perfectly ok to ask an unoriginal question because the answer will probably be updated as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Dizzy
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help. I was not offended by anything posted, I did search the geeklists and read through many of them. I was really looking for thoughts on a next game based on my variables given. I'm most likely going to give CC:A a try with my wife. I will be buying TTD and T&E eventually for me, my game buddies, and hopefully my wife will like them too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Ttd
E&T
LOTRC
caylus
carcassone
lost cities
dungeon twister
ingenious
puerto rico (might be too heavy)
TTR: europe

well here what comes in mind that are euro games, good for 2 not light nor too heavy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sick. I read the title as "Looking for a new wife to play my game."

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wiswell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a new BGG forumer, I find that the vast number of popular geeklists is a little intimitdating, but a good solid FAQ stuck to the top of this board would be cool.

Suggestions: Lost Cities is a lovely little game for two which my wife and I play a few times a week. If there is a baby en route (we just had one), then a set of card holders is a must- if you have a baby in the house then one of you is likely one handed.

Example card holders:
http://www.newtscards.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=WINNING-HAND...

http://www.newtscards.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=CHH-2706B&RE...

Since you mentioned she likes the historical aspect of Mem '44, you might check out Chrononauts (although I'm not sure if it functions as a two player game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John D
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should try Battle Cry if you like Memoir 44. Game is made by the same guy and mechanics the same, plus you can down load more scenarios on the web by googleing battle cry and you will get command and colors web site to down load more scenarios. This is a civil war game and you can down load flags and paint your pieces makes the game fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John D
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Conquest of the Empire by Eagle games is another war game and the game board is huge and there are two sets of rules so the game can be played two ways. Go to www.eaglegames.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
shiftdelete wrote:
The trick with Memoir '44 is this: If you are in the position, let your wife WIN the first game or 2. Honestly, I let her win the first game (allowing her to have the scenario advantage, as well as playing a bad card near the end), but the 2nd game, she just killed me flat out.

Well, now we know when Jeremy stopped beating his wife. devil

(Sorry - I don't mean to suggest anything, but I've been dying to crack that one for ages and you're the lucky soul who gave me the feed line.)

The original Fury of Dracula (the new one is not FoD) is a great game for two. Let the missus play Dracula.

Another good one is DungeonQuest (Drak Borgen), simply because it so often happens that everyone loses. You can cheer her on if you die first, and if she dies first she can start rooting for the Dungeon to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.