6 Posts

Flying Colors» Forums » Rules

Subject: A few question about rake and optional defensive fire rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ziqiong Wang
China
flag msg tools
We have now encountered with a question concerning the rake and optional defensive firefire rules.
This is the situation at start, when the English is approaching the French.

And then comes to this situation:

So Question No.1 ,Can the French rake fire at the English as per optional defensive fire rules using its port side?

If the French didn't fire in the above situation and the English continues their approach and the situation becomes:

So here's question No 2: At this moment, can the French rake fire at the English as per optional defensive fire rules using its port side? And if it can, the range determining the rake die and the fire would be 0?

Question No 3:Can the English rake fire at the French? And the range determining the rake die and the fire would be 0?

And as the game progresses:

Question No 4: Can the French rake fire at the English as per optional defensive fire rules using its starboard side? And if it can, the range determining the rake die and the fire would be 0?

and finally the English spends its 5th MP:

Question No. 5: If all the answers to the above questions are possitive, then the situaion end up in: the English only had one rake attack on the French but the French, which is the inactive player, ended up having raked twice at the English using its both boardside?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schmidt
United States
Maquoketa
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the first example I would say the rake could be fired defensively by the French per the 4.5 Defensive Fire optional rule.

The second example become a bit trickier. While the board is limited to showing the two ships stacked on one another, the game is attempting to simulate the British ship passing very close to the bow of the French ship. I can see where one could argue by board positioning that the French should be able to rake, but the action that is being simulated would make that impossible.

In example #3, The British could rake the French and the range modifier would be zero on the rake attempt and in determining firepower(which would still be a 1 since that chart doesn't go any lower).

Example #4 is much the same as #2. The way the board placement works it can be seen as a legal move. But in the spirit of what is being simulated, I'm not so sure.

Example #5, I guess this this could happen within the game, but I don't think that a double rake fits well with the action the game is attempting to simulate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nagel
United States
Burlington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wang,

Yes on all counts. The British captain is regretting his decision ... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Stecchi
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great post for a very similar doubt that struck me last match. As a corollary to that: what if the first, the second or both ships are single-hex counters?

... and thank you to Mr. Nagel for this masterpiece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Dvorkin
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
New to the game, and totally confused about rake fire. In version 3.1 of the rules, 3.7.7 6) states that only a moving vessel may perform a rake. Since the French ship is not moving in this example, how does it perform a rake?

I'm also having trouble deciphering what this means "whenever any hex of an active ship occupies this line, it may attempt to acquire a rake benefit..."

I'm confused about who is doing the raking, and who is getting raked, I think, and need to see rake fire played out.

Is there an illustrated example of raking fire that I can study somewhere?

Thanks in advance,
Keith

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Seynave
Canada
Thetford Mines
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In that example and with standard rules, the French ship should not be able to rake since it is not the moving ship. However it is hard to contest that we have a rake situation. With the optional defensive fire rule, there is a rake situation.

Right?:what:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.