United States
Ithaca
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robo Rally Hunter-Killer Variant Rules

All normal Robo Rally rules apply except those superceded by the following:

Each player chooses two robots. One is the Flag Catcher, and the other is a Hunter-Killer.

Special rules for the Hunter-Killer:
- The Hunter-Killer is more fragile than the standard robot. It starts and reenters after destruction with four damage. This damage can’t be repaired.
- The Hunter-Killer cannot touch flags, but can move its archive maker to a flag.
- The Hunter-Killer starts the game with two random option cards. It can gain more option cards, but still must give up one if destroyed.

Special rules for the Flag Catcher:
- The Flag Catcher does not start the game or re-spawn with a standard laser.
- If destroyed, the flag catcher reenters the game with no damage i.e. it does not reenter the game with two damage after being destroyed.
- The flag catcher may pick up Option cards. Option cards that do not affect the laser are used as normal.
The laser related Option cards work as follows:
Rear-firing Laser: Grants only a rear-firing laser, not a forward firing laser.
Double-barreled Laser: Grants two forward firing lasers.
High-power Laser: Works per card text.
Fire control: Gives the robot a weak laser that can only target the five lower registers or options, but cannot damage the high end four damage slots, nor can it destroy a robot.

The number of cards dealt to a player is per the standard rules, but a player combines the cards available to each robot and distributes the cards between the robots as desired. Since the Hunter-Killer always has at least 4 damage, the maximum number of cards a player may receive is 14.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Barno
United States
Unspecified
Earth
flag msg tools
A few of our workplace lunchhour gamers (some of whom are BGG members) have played this variant at least a couple of times, and they like it. I haven't played when the variant was used, but it's generated lots of good postgame talk. Most of it consists of "pushed Russ into a pit", just like the standard game, so I'm not sure what to learn from that. But I recommend it to any group familiar with the standard game or the published expansion stuff. In this entry, I believe "archive maker" should be "archive marker".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.