Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We invited our pastor, his wife, and daughter over to play "games" and have dessert last night. We wanted to get to know them better as we are new to the church, and have some fun. Both were accomplished.

They came expecting to play some cards, maybe Monopoly, however, we had something else in mind.

When we showed them our game collection, they were amazed. They had no idea that such games were available.

Because we had eight people wanting to play (my family and the pastor's)we brought out two of the best games to introduce new players to the hobby; Ticket to Ride, and Catan.

The kids jumped into Settlers while the adults opened Ticket to Ride.

I explained the objective and the rules, both the pastor and his wife understood them and we jumped into play. Ease of explanation for the rules is what makes this game great and fun.

After a turn or two, both new players were picking up the strategy and having fun.

Kim, the pastor's wife, blocked a few of my routes early, forcing me to immediately change strategy. I had drawn San Francisco to Atlanta as one of my routes and was planning to go across the bottom of the board for the points. She took the last route from San Fran to L.A. causing me to have to cut throught the country.

Play continued quickly with all of us adding new routes into our hands and placing trains.

As the game headed into the final turns, Pastor Brian and myself appeared to be battling for the lead. I had longest train by this point but he had amassed quite a few 15 point routes.

The tide turned when he selected new route cards, and chose one that he knew would win the game. Unfortunately, he needed blue cards to complete the route Atlanta to Miami, only to find most of the blue cards he needed were buried in the discard pile.

I won the game, however, everyone had a blast. The pastor and his family are excited about these games, we're even considering starting a game night at our church to give families a place to gather and have inexpensive fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.